“Fantastic Family, outstanding food and service!”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
catraveler 8
“Fantastic Family, outstanding food and service!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had the good fortune of discovering this property when we were traveling through Occidental. Hungry and in need of a place to stop before the next place on our journey, we had the pleasure of meeting Barbara Gonnella and her family. The hotel was fully booked or we would have stayed. The food was wonderful, so much so that we ordered more than what was recommended to us (our eyes were bigger than our stomachs)! We ended up taking a large portion of the food with us (thankfully-we loved it). The atmosphere was relaxing and no matter who you are the doors are welcoming and open.The hotel was fully booked or we would have stayed. My family loves this stop, we have since returned several times. The pizza's are a true winner with my children. I loved it all! You can't go wrong, the hotel accommodates families, children, couples, everyone.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank catraveler_8

Sebastopol, California
“A pure delight”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Ever since I first went to this gem of a restaurant and experienced its amazing wait staff and family like atmosphere, I can't help going back again and again! The Gonnella family, really go out of there way to make you feel like you're a part of The family, really!!! The food is always delicious and the tira misu is the best around! The patio area is the most pleasant and beautiful place to sit and enjoy the spring and summer evenings, makes you feel like your in a romantic novel of some sorts. Anyways, really, I can't give enough praise for all the wonderful times that I've shared with the bunch at the Union Hotel/Restaurant in downtown Occidental, Ca.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Yacunah B
Walnut Creek, California
“Great experience; traditional Italian meal”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family has been coming to the Union Hotel for 60+ years on special occasions. I took my Mom there for her b-day and wasn't disappointed. Yes, the prices are a bit higher than when I was younger, but the food is still superb and service great. We had the traditional roasted chicken meal. Everything was top quality, i.e. the minestone soup, the salad, the ravioli, and chicken etc. The portions are big and you'll definitely need a take away box for lunch the next day. Only disappointment was the zucchini fritters which were a bit greasy. The place looks literally as it was when I was 5 (I'm now +45) and what a treat to stop by and have not only a great meal, but enjoy the old school atmosphere. Don't miss this place if you're in Occidental.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank CACAtraveler
Sebastopol, California
“Thank You Union Hotel!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Barbara Gonnella and the Union Hotel always provide great service and a fun atmosphere with generous portions of great food! Plus, they are huge supporters of our community. They just donated dozens of cookies for my dauther's bake sale to support the East Bay Book Project. We highly recommend that you make the Union Hotel a "must" stop when you are in the area!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank DFH394
Petaluma, California, USA
“Italian Comfort Food At Its Best !!!!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I know that I have written many reviews for the Union Hotel, but I cannot applaud them enough for what they do. This restaurant is more than a 45 minute drive for us in each direction and it is well worth the trip. On the drive in we enjoy the ride through the countryside and anticipate the delights ahead of us and on the way home our “happy tummies” remind us of the Italian comfort food we have consumed.

As usual I had my mushroom topped rib eye steak. This comes with hot bread and bread sticks just out of the oven, an antipasto plate that has salami and cheese, marinated red kidney beans, salad, soup, ravioli, and on the main course plate are vegetables and potatoes. All this for only 26.95.

• Visited March 2013