“Couldn't be nicer”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Reviewed June 29, 2011

At the end of a lovely bicycle ride, two friends and I dropped into the Union Hotel bar for a cold drink. One of my friends had never been there before so we strolled into the restaurant so he could take a look. While the two of them were taking a tour I struck up a conversation with the hostess, who turned out to be the third generation owner. She said she was thrilled that we dropped in for a peek and said to take our time looking around.

The hospitality of ownership shows through this gracious woman (I'm so sorry to have forgotten her name...) As we were leaving she showed us the bakery - and gave us three of her remarkable raspberry apricot turnovers. They were, I must say, amazing - not too sugary and the pastry dough perfectly done.

I can't recommend it enough. Although we did not sample the menu, only the pastries, if it comes near the warmth and genuineness of the hostess it cannot help but be a wonderful experience.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stopped here for lunch and ate outside by the lovely fountain. We were pleased with the service as well as with the food. I had a Buon Gusto pizza. The pizza had Cheese, seasoned chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms and Creamy Garlic Sauce. It was very delicious. The pizza came with a generous potion of minestrone and a side salad. My husband had Chicken Florentine. This dish was a marinated and sliced grilled chicken breast is added to sautéed fresh baby spinach, garlic and red bell pepper and tossed with Penne pasta in a light cream sauce. His dish came with soup and salad also. Both meals were very delicious and would recommend this place to anyone and would come back again.

Reviewed June 4, 2011

I like to frequent this rustic Italian restaurant/banquet hall/bar/bakery monthly if I can make it. Go with an empty stomach and take a date, family, friends, or someone you want to impress with a real italian meal that is sure to please. They do amazing pizza, crust is delicious. The soups, salads, and breadsticks, are awesome but don't fill up on those because the best raviolis are still to come. I like the Duck, the pastas, and the award winning desserts are indescribable! Mud pie or chocolate moose!
And you have leftovers for lunch the next day...always!

Reviewed May 29, 2011

We went for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon. My father is in a wheelchair and they were very accomodating. The staff was very good at answering our questions about Occidental and the surrounding area. It is clear they are invested and have a genuine interest in where they are located. We ordered a combination pizza, salad and the clam chowder. Everything was delicious and well prepared. The clam chowder was exceptional as well as the crust on the pizza. We will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My wilfe and I started going to the Union Hotel in the 50,s as children. The settubg and the atmosphere in this restaurant can not be matched.
It has a wide selection on the menu from stake to pizza to pasta. We unsually suguest you don't eat much the day you go there because the food is plentiful but it also is fresh and healthy.
BEST MINESTRONE SOUP on the planet.After you you have enjoyed the meal and all the sides that arae included then try a dessert they are unmatched anywhere.
The servers always treat you like you are family and before I forget they have the most wonderful old bar to relax and have a drink before or after dinner.
They also have a large outdoor patio for outdoor dinning.
Check out their web sit you will be impressed.
This restaurant comes with a lot of history. If you area history buff this is a must see.