“It will last with you a life time, you will always come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Rosa, California
“It will last with you a life time, you will always come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

My wilfe and I started going to the Union Hotel in the 50,s as children. The settubg and the atmosphere in this restaurant can not be matched.
It has a wide selection on the menu from stake to pizza to pasta. We unsually suguest you don't eat much the day you go there because the food is plentiful but it also is fresh and healthy.
BEST MINESTRONE SOUP on the planet.After you you have enjoyed the meal and all the sides that arae included then try a dessert they are unmatched anywhere.
The servers always treat you like you are family and before I forget they have the most wonderful old bar to relax and have a drink before or after dinner.
They also have a large outdoor patio for outdoor dinning.
Check out their web sit you will be impressed.
This restaurant comes with a lot of history. If you area history buff this is a must see.

Santa Rosa, California
“Union Hotel-Best Place On Earth! Don't Miss Out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

My family and I have been eating at the Union Hotel for over 40 years. We have chosen their restaurant for many of our special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries...and wouldn't miss a Christmas with the chance to taste Barbara's delicious gingerbread cookies. The customer service and food is beyond unbelieveable and we have never left there hungry. If you happen to find yourself in Occidental don't miss out on your chance for this unique experience. Thanks to Barbara and all her staff!

Murrieta, California
“Best Bruchetta in the US!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

The Union Hotel is a great Italian restaurant! In the quiet, redwood surrounded town
of Occidental lies a true gem. I have eaten at Italian places all over the US and
The Union has the best Bruchetta by far! All the food is fresh and the service was
fantastic. I highly reccommend you make the visit.

1 Thank Craigh11
Bodega Bay, California
“The Union Hotel makes you part of their family and is waiting to cook you a special dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

The service at this restaurant is amazing only surpassed by the food and ambiance. As you drive to this restaurant through Redwood forests and a meandering creek you wonder what sort of "town" you are going to find? Well Occidental may be the best kept secret in Sonoma County with a wonderful little array of shops anchored by The Union Hotel Restaurant. As well as the restaurant there is a pizzeria and wonderful pastry shop for you early risers. I was so impressed with the atmosphere and quality of the experience I spent my 40th birthday party here. A memory I will cherish for a lifetime. I am looking forward to my next experience there, and know I will be welcomed like family upon my arrival.....and so will you.

• Visited March 2011
San Francisco, California
“Destination: Food Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

The Historic Union Hotel in Occidental is a staple in my family. My parents started going there in their teen years. Needless to say, my visits started in the womb. It's so nice to have a place to come to that has remained authentic from my childhood. It's like stepping back in time into a warm embrace. Even if it's your first time, this place feels like home. They have taken care to preserve the original decor. The ambiance, the food, the decor, it's a trip to the old country. The architecture and the food combine to make this a dining experience... not just another place to eat.

The Union Hotel includes a saloon, dining room, pizzeria, bakery cafe, ballroom, and outdoor patio dining. There's not a bad spot in the place. All friendly and fun.
The dining room is adorable with tons of wood, checkered tablecloths, chianti bottle candle holders, and Union Hotel calanders framed from earlier decades. I love those calenders.
Evening meals are accopmpanied by soft, amber candlelight. So pleasant.

The food. The food is what draws you back... again and again. I am first generation Italian. I want authentic Italian food. Almost impossible to find in a restaurant. The Union Hotel delivers. They use old world recipes with some updated flair. This is family style service; bread, soup, salad, kidney beans, antipasto, and ravioli all included with your main course.
Family style is very Italian, and also almost impossible to find.
My all time favorite-- The Minestrone Soup. Case closed.
I could live on this soup. The most delicious broth and rustic vegetables. Heaven in a bowl.

The Ribeye Steak. I have had steaks at high-ended places, but this is my favorite.
This steak is high quality, HUGE, charbroiled to perfection, and so juicy. Flavor packed!
It's so startling good, it's like a punch in the mouth.

The Chicken Cacciatore is very special, my former favorite until I discovered the steak.

The Zucchini Fritters are a must. An unexpected and exciting menu item that is usually only found in an Italian grandmother's kitchen. Yum.

Pizza. This is classic Naples style pizza. The best. Thin crust, and generous amounts of sauce and toppings. Oh my gosh... the pizza. Any flavor. I love the combo and BBQ chicken.

The Bruschetta is worth mentioning. It is so well done. Perfectly grilled toast with roasted tomato. So sweet and savory.

Desserts. These are top of the line desserts. You will not find some generic, anemic, defrosted dessert here. These are real bakery treats. Try the Tiramisu, or the chocolate mousse cake. So good.
Look, I could go on about the food, but I will contain myself.

It's a fun place to go.There's always a game on in the saloon, or great music from the jukebox. The pizzeria is always jumping. If you're lucky, when you are eating in the diningroom you might even witness an event in the ballroom such as; a wedding reception, or a fireman's function.

The proprietors, John and Barbara, are wonderful. They go out of their way to make everyone feel at home. Barbara is special and puts her heart into making sure that the Union Hotel and the dining experience are memorable. She honors the past and welcomes the future.

The Union Hotel is my favorite restaurant. Always has been, and always will be.

• Visited March 2011