“It is not like it used to be”

Negri's Original Italian Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lincoln, California
“It is not like it used to be”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We dine here every year and are used to the slow service. Very understaffed. This year the food is definitely different. I had my usual minestrone soup and some raviolis. Definitely, not the same. Soup was ok, ravioli's very different, maybe not home made anymore? My wife indicated the apple fritters were not tasty.
I am not telling people not to dine here, only it is not the Negri's of old. I however will not return

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Boise1939

Helena, Montana
“BEST FOOD IN NOR CAL”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Best FOOD AROUND, BEST VALUE, YOU WILL NOT LEAVE HUNGRY.Plan on taking home a doggy bag. try the chicken. Yummmmm!!!!

• Visited August 2010
Santa Rosa, California
“Never Again”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Wanted to go down memory lane, so my sister and I took Mom and Dad for lunch on Sunday. The place was pretty quiet when we go there and the waitress was a "hoot" we loved her, but not the food. First it took forever to get our meal. Three of us ordered the fried chicken. Mine was so bad the waitress snatched it off my plate and took it back to the kitchen. The " World Famous Ravioli were hard, but the sauce good. The salad had some kind of strange tasting cheese on it ,the zucchini patties had a burnt after taste and the antipasto came straight out of a jar and was quite briny. I never did get my chicken back. The waitress said she had taken it off our bill. Bill was $70.00 for four people (and this was after they took my meal off). Very disappointed, food not worth the drive from Marin and and felt the dinner menu " family Style" overpriced for what you got.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank CAROLE1957
reno nv
“Good food, interesting town”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The same family has owned this business for many years Evelyn whose family business it is ,is there every day .She grew up working there. She is so nice .There is also a server named Evelyn who is very nice and a great server. The food is family stlyle Large bowl of soup, platter of ravioli and fried apple fritters Same recipes year after year So you know just what to expect. I went there as a child took my children and now my grandchildren are enjoying it. When it snows here we get the urge to go to Occidental to eat. It has become a joke when they hear of a bad snowstorm in the mtn they figure we will show up for dinner. A newer server once told me "bread only comes when the soup is brought out. That maybe the rule but I know Evelyn the owner who is a very gracious lady wouldn't have liked the way was told that since after an over 250 mile trip I was starving. But think she may have been a bit stressed that day. We always try to get one of server Evelyn's table she is a joy. Whole family groups drive up from the bay area and they put long tables togeter to accomadate. The soup is great, the ravioli and sauce is the best and the meal is definely a value for all the food you get. I intend to keep driving through blizzards to get there and will even go in good weather too! I f a frazzeled service forgets something or as I was told the bread only comes with the soup and you feel your experience has been dampened Tell the Hostess If it isn't Evelyn herself it maybe her daughter. This family hasn't put their whole lives into running a great place to have someone go away annoyed . It is really worth the drive from anywhere!

• Visited February 2011
Occidental, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice staff, great marinara, terrible ravioli”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Staff were friendly and nice, but the food was not good. I had the Half-and-Half - part spaghetti, part "World Famous Ravioli". The spaghetti was overcooked; the raviolis were a color of grey and tasted like pre-frozen pork. I couldn't eat them. The marinara sauce was excellent, however. Bread was French bread and tasteless.

Visited January 2011