“First Zip Line Experience”

Sonoma Canopy Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.00*
and up
Ziplining Adventure in Sonoma
More attraction details
Owner description: Sonoma Canopy Tours is located in Occidental, CA - approximately 1.5 hours north of San Francisco. The tour contains 7 ziplines, 2 sky bridges, a magnificent spiral staircase, ending in a rappel to the forest floor.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“First Zip Line Experience”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was my first but certainly not my last zip line adventure. I was a little nervous to begin with but by the second line I was completely at ease. The location and surroundings are beautiful and the guides fun and entertaining. It was so cool to be standing on a platform way, way up in a tree getting ready to zip along a line to another treetop. The business has been there for 3 years so my only suggestion is to replace the portapotties with a permanent restroom with sinks for washing up.

Elk Grove, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Great fun!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

It was my first time zip lining & my niece's second time at Sonoma Canopy Tours, and we had the greatest time! Our guides Lydia & Ben were wonderful! Taught me how to do it & were encouraging at each step. Everyone who works there were super friendly. The equipment made me feel very safe & definitely would do it again.
Note if you rent the helmet cam, the mid size @ $45 is plenty & feel free to let it run, I had so much space left. Also, try & have them out it on your helmet on the opposite side of your brake arm, otherwise you might miss some action as you put on your brake on.

Lacey, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ziplining through the redwoods”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was given this tour as a 61st birthday present from my family. Having never done anything remotely like this, but with a great love of the outdoors, I nervously went along. First off I have to say that the area is beautiful, with tall evergreens, mostly redwoods in a lovely valley. Our guides, Matt and Matt were awesome. They guided this very nervous lady through the whole course, were endlessly patient, corrected my mistakes, and helped me achieve an awesome experience. They were also quite amusing and kept the mood light and fun. Once I got the hang of braking and staying straight on the line, I really enjoyed speeding through the canopy, and was actually sorry when it was over. The views out over the forest are wonderful, and the information about this ecosystem given by our guides just added to the experience. I would highly recommend this tour.

Layton, Utah
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Quick Zips!!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife had me "reinvent" our trip through this area and Napa Valley so that we could zip line with Canopy Tours along with our two daughters. First off, it's a long way out to their operation and so you should plan on a good half day or more by the time you travel out there, wait for the fun to begin, and then get back to your original destination. The rate wasn't too bad for my daughters, but it was $89.00 pp for me and my wife, which was way too much for the experience. Of course, we have zip lined in Mexico where we experienced two separate courses of 7 or 8 zip lines and spent literally all day and for the same price. Canopy tours doesn't hold a candle to our previous experience, but if you have never done this before, than I think you should give it a go. They tell you that you'll be doing 7 zip lines, but two or three of them are so short that it's really only 4 really good lines, and then it's over. The information that was given was stuff I had learned while travelling through the Red Wood National Park, so not much new there. Our guides were great and they were very funny which helped make it more entertaining.

4 Thank Scott T
western Oregon
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Basic equipment + Poor guide = no fun”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The equipment is basic, but minimally safe. You brake by pushing down on the cable with your gloved hand. Daniel ( our guide), after warning us that he would "send down" anyone he didn't feel good about, insisted we watch him for instructions (speed up, slow down) while in the air, so looking around while zip lining was out of the question. After the first two "bunny" zip lines, he rejected one of the seven people in our group, and three more decided to quit. Matt, the secondary guide, was able to talk two of them into continuing, and after Daniel left for the next platform, told us he would not have rejected anyone, but Daniel was gun shy, after an accident the week before where he was knocked off the platform by a client, who ended up with a broken arm. The injured client was overweight, and the woman rejected from our group was 20 pounds or so overweight, but otherwise very fit. She felt he had been after her from the beginning, starting with scolding her for lining up behind the "wrong" harness at the start (they all looked identical to me). I polled the others in our group, and they were all disappointed with their experience. As a retired teacher, I would have to say our guide's teaching technique was abysmal. Pair that with rudimentary equipment, and my guess is that if this were your first zip lining experience, it would probably be your last. A real shame. I hope Sonoma Canopy Tours does a better job in the future of screening their guides (sometimes being a devout Christian isn't enough), upgrades their equipment, and re-aligns their course so that the two most challenging zip lines don't immediately follow the two training zip lines. I'll zip line again, but not there!

6 Thank grenadahasher