“Go to Barley And Hops...and then forget about everywhere else you've ever been.”

Barley and Hops Tavern
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Coleman Valley Rd.
Description: Local, and always from-scratch, our pub grub is the best in the area. Everything is below 15 dollars, and hand-made; from pub classics to eclectic favorites. We focus on cooking with craft beer, and serve 13 drafts, and 60+ bottles from local and worldwide craft breweries. A small selection of local wines by-the-glass and hand-crafted local ciders are also available. Live music on the weekends!
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This place is amazing! And that's all you need to know. But for explanation's sake, the food is superb and affordable, the beer selection is bar none the best in the Bay Area, the vibe is amazing, cool live music, no cover, great ambiance, good people, greater times. And with a rotating burger of the week (made of local grass-fed Niman Ranch beef), you cannot go wrong. Oh, and by the way, don't expect to waltz in to find yourself zoning out staring zombie-like into another rerun of Matlock on the tube. No, this is San Jose Sharks country. Hockey on TV...in the Bay Area....believe it...and love it. Noah and Mirjam know how to treat their customers right. 10 out of 10 people agree.....Barley And Hops is the cats pajamas, And by cats pajamas, we're talking onesies...with the footies attached. Dig it. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Jimi4000
There are newer reviews for Barley and Hops Tavern

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We drove from Yosemite, and I only let my husband stop for a drink and snacks during the day (yes, I'm a mean wife) - but only with the full intentions that I knew he was going to love this Tavern. Boy was I right!

I believe he order a Burger with a hot pepper jam/jelly - it wasn't spicey (he loves spicey) - - but it was "the best burger" he had! He was so happy I made him wait.

I ordered the main salad they offer. It was pretty darn good, but I was left wanting maybe some bacon & Feta/Blue cheese - - but then I should have remembered to order it as I know it could have been added. It really didn't matter because it was all awesome. My husband had wished we were staying the night in Occidental because he really wanted to eat there again!

1  Thank mlhardy32
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We won a Gift Certificate for this eatery in a raffle, though a beer-savvy friend had mentioned it to me recently as a desirable destination. If you enjoy sampling a number of very fine craft beers, this is definitely a place for you to visit; I regretted being the driver since I would have otherwise tried quite a few other interesting brews. The beer menu varies; current offerings are on a chalk-board, but possibly owing to inexperience or inattention they don't maintain it very well so your waitperson inevitably comes back after five minutes to say, "Um, we're out of the ____ right now..." The food is better than expected, however, and much better than the usual fish 'n' chips brewpub fry-up; I had the signature "Pretzel Chicken", baked in a tangy mustard sauce, and it was quite tasty. Had a good salad, too. Decent food means the clientele is not your typical crowd of boozy twenty-somethings, yet it still feels relaxed and fun with kids at some of the tables. Do keep in mind you will probably drive a car to get there (Occidental is a bit isolated) and drive home, so be sure to have a designated driver! There is plenty to enjoy, and in "wine country" the Highway Patrol are always on the alert.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

Of all the amazing restaurants in Sonoma County, (and we've been to most of them) I told my husband I want to go to Barley & Hops this year. Can't wait to eat the yummy veggie burger and to try yet another fantastic brew. Looking forward to Wed, 11/10 - happy birthday to me!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 8, 2010

This is a great place to quench your thirst and satisfy your appetite in the cozy town of Occidental. The beer selection is very good, the food is good pub fare, and the service is excellent.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook