“Not to be missed”
Review of Far Niente Winery

Far Niente Winery
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Oakville
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Looking back on our 5 days in Napa and Sonoma and the 10 or so wineries we visited, Far Niente was definitely the highlight. Even though we had excellent recommendations from travel guides and friends, I was still doubtful that it would be worth the price. I was wrong.

Starting with the drive through the spectacular grounds, we knew it was a special place. The personalized welcome sign is a small thing, but still made us feel like guests (as opposed to feeling like cattle at some other wineries). The facility is beautiful, the tour is excellent, and the opportunity to taste fantastic wine is not to be missed!

The tour of the carriage house is a unique and fun bonus.

When I return to Napa, I will definitely visit Far Niente again - and I may include their sister wineries as well.

1  Thank 225Traveler

Reviewed August 2, 2011

The winery charges $50 for a tour and tasting. I am aware of the fact that you will have to pay around 35-50 dollars for a tour in Napa, but this place just wasn't worth it.

Wines were ok, but not worth the tasting fee OR the price they charge for a bottle. The tour guide was very proud of the fact that they did an unoaked chardonnay and was very critical of the typical Napa chardonnays that are bolder than theirs. I found their reds didn't have enough complexity either.

On the positive side: the tasting is paired nicely with different cheeses. The Dolce wine was nice, it wasn't as syrupy sweet as most dessert wines.

The grounds were well-manicured, but I wasn't blown away. They have a car collection they like to show off during the tour. Eh...whatever. If you are into car collecting, then you may appreciate this -- but I don't go to wineries to look at cars. Tour wasn't too informative either, and our tour guide was a bit cheesy.

We've been to wine country more times that we can keep track, and have visited a lot of wineries, tried a whole spectrum of wines, and have been members of wine clubs. I would have to say that a steeper tour price is not always representative of a better experience or a better wine. Save your time and money, and go elsewhere. I'm more than willing to spend good money when it's worth it...but it really bothers me when I spend more money on a product or experience that is regretful. In this case, the motto "you get what you pay for" didn't apply here.

4  Thank travlnfoodie
Reviewed August 10, 2010

While the tasting fee is steep at $50, where else are you going to get to taste a variety of $150+ vintages with cheese pairings, receive a personal greeting (with your name on the board as you enter), wonderful views and grounds (do NOT forget your camera!), a winery & cave tour with barrel tastings, and a host who knows his wines, not to mention the ability to stand next to a $4M car (just one of a dozen collector cars).

I had never heard of Far Niente before I started my Napa research, but I am certainly glad I came across them on TripAdvisor. My recommendation is to stay away from the mass-market wineries and hit the smaller, lessor know and family wineries of the valley - you'll have a wonderful time and make certain Far Niente is on that list! You will not forget it.

3  Thank FinFanAtl
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Don't miss this amazing winery! The wine is amazing, but the grounds are INCREDIBLE!!! It was truly one of the most beautiful places we have ever seen. The Nickel brothers also collect cool/classic cars. My husband was in heaven! Go see this one!

Reviewed December 4, 2008

My husband and I visited the Far Niente Winery on a recommendation from a friend and boy are we happy we took that recommendation!

They only have one tour at a time and tours are nice and small giving you a very intimate feel. Your encouraged to ask as many questions as you like which was nice for wine novices like my husband and I. The guides are so knowledgeable about the winery and the wines and you can tell really love what they do!

We went for a nice tour of the winery as well as an amazing vintage car collection they have on site. Then to top things off you sit down and have a wonderful wine tasting which they pair with carefully selected cheese that match the wines perfectly.

As I mentioned my husband and I are wine novices but we know a great wine when we have one as well as a great wine tour. Far Niente is not one to miss!!!

2  Thank SusanNorm