“Exquisite Hospitality”
Review of Opus One Winery

Opus One Winery
Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivated with passion and a singular vision, Opus One produces one ultra-premium Bordeaux blend a year. A collaboration between Robert Mondavi and Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Opus One arose out of passion. And beginning with the first harvest in 1979, every vintage of Opus One has expressed the vision and passionate spirit of its founders. Our goal is to create a wine of ultimate quality that reflects the traditions and innovations of both founders. Visiting the winery is by appointment only.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Exquisite Hospitality--despite the self-importance and grandiosity (just look at the design of the place)--felt extremely welcome.

Tasted the 06, 07, and 09. The 07, to me, was the best and worth finding. Enjoyed it most with a view presented by the upstairs seating area, which I'd recommend finding.

The drawback, of course, is the expense. As this was the first time for me in Napa, I felt it was a necessary stop. However, if I were going back...I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a requirement to see again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This winery impressed me with their desire to niche themselves as the one that spares no expense to do everything spectacularly well. Is the wine so much better that it is worth all the trouble and hence the larger price tag? For me, probably not, but they impressed me that they were trying. NOT a generous pour. We paid $60 for 2 scanty glasses, but I am glad I tried the wine and was able to see the beautiful building.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Here’s the thing about Opus One. You’ll end up spending a minimum of $40 for a glass (full glass) of wine, but you really get more than the wine.

Opus One winery is a campus of opulence. With marble floors they welcome you, greet you with posh gardens, have outstanding views from the 2nd open air floor (roof), display gorgeous and rare flowers – mostly orchids, and the offer the best wines in Napa.

For all its lavish accommodations you’d think the environment might come with a bit of snobbery, but in fact the host staff was some of the most approachable we encountered in our 10 day wine trip. Sure they were well dressed and clearly well educated about wine and culture, but they were also very friendly and willing to take time to help you get the most out of your Opus One experience. The concierge was especially accommodating, walking us to the bar area, gave us and open invitation to walk the grounds, and even (although typically not available) showed us the wine cellar.

That said:
1.) get a reservation whenever you go (we got one at 11:30am during the ‘off-season’)
2.) be prepared to spend a bit on wine
3.) and be open to a different wine tasting experience

2  Thank awb2222
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Too pricey, place was pretty but reminded me of a mosuleum becsuse the people there were dead. Wine is good but that is all. You get your wine, 1 glass n if u want a stale cracker n that's it. The end. Been there done that... never again

Reviewed February 15, 2013

First of all, I would like to negate all of the negative posts and information that my husband and I have read and heard regarding the "stuffiness" of The Opus experience. We were greeted warmly by all. From the entry to the tasting room, to our tour guide Tonia. The partners room manager was wonderful in donating a crate to our women's shelter fund raiser in Northwest Arkansas. He also will be visiting with his Marketing Director for further help. These people were fabulous. Then, I must say that the fabulous Opus Tour and wine speaks for itself. The experience was a class act from start to finish. Respectful, delightful, and generous. I feel that Mondavi and Sir Rothchild would be extremely proud!

1  Thank SteveandAnita
OpusOneWinery, Manager at Opus One Winery, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at Opus One. We read every review and take each one seriously.

We are very pleased that you had such an enjoyable experience and of course, we are delighted that you enjoyed the wine. Our Guest Relations staff members strive to share our story and our wine with graciousness and courtesy.

We hope that one day you will have the opportunity to visit us again.

Best Regards,