“Enjoy their wine, not their attitude”
Review of Opus One Winery

Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivated with passion and a singular vision, Opus One produces one ultra-premium Bordeaux blend a year. A collaboration between Robert Mondavi and Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Opus One arose out of passion. And beginning with the first harvest in 1979, every vintage of Opus One has expressed the vision and passionate spirit of its founders. Our goal is to create a wine of ultimate quality that reflects the traditions and innovations of both founders. Visiting the winery is by appointment only.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Four of us were excited to visit this winery, and while the scenery was drop dead gorgeous, the poured acted bothered that we were there. We heard very little about the $40 per glass we were drinking. My husband had wanted to purchase their newest release, but didn't because the man pouring could have cared less when we returned our glasses.
After going to Caymus and Froges leap, and feeling welcomed, this vineyard's tasting was very disappointing.

OpusOneWinery, Manager at Opus One Winery, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Chris,

Thank you for visiting Opus One. I read all reviews and take them seriously. This is not at all what we would like our guests to experience.

If you could give me a few minutes of your time so I may gather more information I would greatly appreciate it.

I am at Opus One everyday from8:30am to 5:00pm, except Friday and Saturday. If these times are not convenient for you I am happy to call you when it is better for your schedule.

I can be reached at 800-292-6787 or 707-948-2403.

Thank you for your review and your time.

Regards,

707-948-2403
jim.nicolette@opusonewinery.com

There are newer reviews for Opus One Winery

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We went to Opus One because we have purchased their wines before for our collection. Architecture was interesting. Views were wonderful. People were sooooo stuffy. No information was given to us about the current release or wine we were drinking. (which was still very tight) Maybe the tour is worthwhile, but I would skip this expensive tasting.

1  Thank finewine35
OpusOneWinery, Manager at Opus One Winery, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for visiting us at Opus One, and thank you for purchasing Opus One for your collection.

I am extremely disappointed to learn of your experience; I take this very personally. The last thing I want to hear is that we are “stuffy or pretentious”.
I take all reviews seriously and would like to find out more about your experience. If you would allow me a few moments of your time to learn more, I would be most appreciative.

I can be reached at the winery any days except Friday and Saturday from 8:30am to 5:00pm PST.
Kindly call me at 800-292-6787 or my direct line, 707-948-2403.
My email is jim.nicolette@opusonewinery.com

Thank you very much for your review and your time. I will be waiting for your call.

Jim Nicolette
Guest Relations Manager
7900 St Helena Highway
Oakville, California 94562
707-948-2403
jim.nicolette@opusonewinery.com

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This winery works hard at presenting itself as exclusive, therefore the atmosphere can be a bit formal. Don't be intimidated. It is definitely worth a tour, but you probably need to make reservations well in advance. You will walk the interior, the roof terrace, the grounds, the vines, taste the berries, see the barrels resting in the cellar, learn a lot and taste their cabernet. The real test of a destination with this reputation is how they treat their visitors. For us, our tour guide was Mark. He was passionate about every aspect of the winery, a compelling presenter, knowledgable yet unjudgmental. Major photo opportunities on the roof.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited in mid-August. Tasting room staff was pompous and not very knowledgeable (staff were very young, seemed like interns). Highest priced tasting ($35 to $40 a single taste) we found in Napa and Sonoma and not worth it. Even the top rated wines with “by appointment” tastings aren’t this high.

They "had an problem" using my Amex card until I told them "Rudd Winery didn't have a problem." Then they didn't have a problem - what gives with that?

1  Thank MANDLACO
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nicely done garden, very well looked after. There are two options, one is a wine tasting version for 50 USD/glass/person. This takes only less then an hour. I missed the fact, that they didn't serve any cheese or crackers with it. There is also a winery visiting tour, but children are not allowed to take the tour. Therefor we couldn't take that one.