“Robert Mondavi Wineries”

and up
Private Napa Valley Customized Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: A recommended winery in Napa Valley that offers educational tours and music concerts at select times.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wonderful grounds and delicious wines. Grapes were being harvested, so it was fun on the tour to see grapes being sorted and heading to the fermentation barrells. If you can only do ONE winery, make it this one.

2  Thank Tony S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"barrel room"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The wine is very good and so we stopped to see the winery. Although reminiscent of one of the California Missions in general style, the buildings and winery are basically all new as opposed to the other wineries we visited in 100+ year old structures. This takes nothing away from the wines but the ambience is a bit more commercial. Excellent tasting room with 4 pours for $20 so woth the stop for the tqasting but I would pass on the tour.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The grounds of this location were impeccable kept and it gave an air of sophisication. The staff were helpful and polite. The wines were very good but tended to taste upscale which my wife and I have yet to totally acquire. It is good to know that I can find these wines at locations in my home area.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped at three wineries, and the Robert Mondavi was by far our favorite. Although the tasting room was small and became a bit hectic on that Sunday afternoon, the staff was friendly and provided generous pours. The fee for each tasting of your choice of four wines was $20. We enjoyed wine and cheese (stop at Oakville Grocery if coming in from the south) in the courtyard area. We continued on to Peju and V. Sattui, both of which were also very nice. Robert Mondavi was our first winery stop in Napa and set the tone for the rest of our afternoon.

1  Thank AM0609
See more reviews
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I haven't visited the Napa area since 1998 and one vineyard I was really looking forward to going back to was Robery Mondavi.

We tasted their reserves for a HEFTY $30 fee. (we shared 1 tasting)

It was a generous pour of 4 reserves. The woman pouring wasn't very informative, she pretty much poured the glasses and told us we could take them out to one of the tables to drink.

That was odd...isn't her "job" to educate us on their wine? Isn't her "job" to get us to purchase some wine?

Weird.

Anyway...back to the wine. All 4 wines were horrid. I mean I wanted to spit them out, horrid.

We tasted 1 Pinot Noir and 3 cabs because we're red drinkers. I was so shocked and disappoionted in the quality, acidic aftertones and strong tanin taste. And these were the reserves...I'd hate to taste the cheap stuff.

Needless to say we left without purchasing any and from what we have learned from other vineyards in the area Mondavi was sold out to a large corporation. That explains a lot.

*note on Napa in general.....
We found the vineyards in the Sonoma/Santa Rosa area to be MUCH less expensive for their tastings. For example we tasted Kendall Jackson's reserves for $5...was supposed to be $15 but they let us taste their reserves for the lessor price. They also deducted the charge if you purchased a bottle.
Pasa Robles vineyards were also VERY inexpensive for tastings...J Lohr was FREE.

Napa has become very commercial...we enjoyed our time in Sonoma, Santa Rosa and Pasa Robles much more than we did Napa.

Tip* Drive out to Paradise Ridge Vineyard in the Russian River Valley and bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on their picturesque balcony...order a glass of their wine to go with it.

1  Thank dkelly27