“Great Wine Tour - A Large Winery w/Personal Service”

Robert Mondavi Winery
and up
Private Napa Valley Customized Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: A recommended winery in Napa Valley that offers educational tours and music concerts at select times.
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I took TA's advice, and signed up to visit even those wineries deemed 'touristy' during my first real visit to Napa. Hence, I visited Mondavi, signing up for the Wine Tasting Basics ($10pp) at 10am, following it up with the winery tour at 11am ($25pp). I imagined the day would be commercially-orientated, and disappointing, given what a large name Mondavi is. Not at all! Wine Tasting Basics with John was great - I felt free to ask all of the 'dumb' questions I couldn't ask at the other wineries. Further, I learned so much about California and Napa wines during our discussion, it definitely set the foundation for other visits that week. The winery tour afterwards was one of the best I attended, and I highly recommend it to all first-timers to Napa. The Mondavi facilities are large and comprehensive, you really see every step of the process. Our guide was Roberto, and after the first few minutes I felt like we were old friends - he was so approachable, answering all questions patiently, and never condescendingly (I somehow thought wine-related people might be). For the wine tasting at the end, you only try 3 wines, which is less than most wineries, but they are delicious.

2  Thank samthefish06

Reviewed April 20, 2011

We were hesitant to visit Mondavi as we expected a very "commercial" winery, but that was not the case. The grounds were beautiful, our tour guide Roberto was very informed, friendly, not pretentious at all, and the operations were very interesting. The wine was yummy, too! I highly recommend this to someone new to the area, to wine tasting, or to anyone who is interested in the history of Napa!

2  Thank ladybugWi
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We have visited wineries in many countries, but this was our first time in Napa valley, so we didn't really know what to expect. We arrived at Mondavi on a rainy Thursday early enough for their first extended (75 minutes - 25dollars) tour at 10:00 AM.

Our tour felt like a private tour experience due to the fact that there was only one other couple with us. Our tour guide was Roberto, and he was a true gentleman who really loved his job. He patiently explained not just the history of Mondavi, but of the whole Napa wine business. I bombarded him with questions, and he was always kind enough to come up with very good answers. He was simple person, down to earth, with a great sense of humor. We were pleasantly surprised because we had been warned of rampant snobbery through Napa valley.

The whole tour has a great flow to it. Even though it was pouring raining, and we didn't get to wonder the vines, it still was a very nice walk through the different halls, the fermentation room, and the ageing cellars. The tasting was seated which was quite nice compared to other wineries. We tasted a white fume blanc (sauvignon blanc), a pinot noir, and a reserve Cabernet. The fume blanc and Cab were delicious. We also were given this microscopic lamb burgers, that added a very nice touch to the whole experience.

Overall, I would highly recommend this tour for anyone that is new to Napa. If possible make sure to have Roberto as your tour guide, and you will have an excellent time!

3  Thank ilir11
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We had Richard for a Tour guide. He was a very lively, energetic guy, eager to answer all our questions.

They were very much selling the idea that Mondavi Wines introduced the "wine as an experience" culture to Napa. I.E. Go to a winery, not just to buy wine, but to have food, entertainment etc.

Seems unlikely that they pioneered this.

I would only recommend this to someone who's never ever been to a Winery so they can learn about the wine making process.

The tour with tasting costed $25 per person

1  Thank Paul I
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Our tour guide was wonderful; she was very friendly and knowledgable. We learned about the family history, viewed the beautiful grounds and learning about the wine making process while touring the fermentation rooms and aging cellars. At the end of the tour, we tasted three exceptional Mondavi wines. We were treated to a delicious brownie with the last wine.