“Brown Sugar Kitchen is the best!”

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 1,308 Restaurants in Oakland
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

When in Oakland, the Brown Sugar Kitchen is where I go for breakfast. The food is excellent and the wait staff go out of their way to make sure customers are well taken care of before, during and after the meal. I highly recommend the cornmeal waffle with apple cider syrup. Then again, I sometimes make a trip just to enjoy the organic grits with cheese and poached eggs. I cannot say any more, other than 'Go and check it out soon.'

1  Thank bailindsey

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This restaurant, only open for lunch, is fantastic. It's a bit of a diner -- in an industrial area. Service was absolutely delightful. We sat at the counter because the wait for a table -- on a Wednesday afternoon -- was so long. Being at the counter was fun though because we could watch the chefs. My companions had waffles and fried chicken and they reported that the waffles melt in your mouth like cotton candy and were incredibly tasty, as was the fried chicken. I had the shrimp on basmati rice, which had a little heat and was perhaps the tastiest shrimp I've had since New Orleans. We also had sides of collard greens and mac n' cheese, which were tasty as well. We didn't have room for dessert, but the bread pudding and pies looked delectable. I can't wait until the cookbook comes out in September.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We found ourselves in downtown Oakland recently and decided to try Brown Sugar Kitchen for a late breakfast. What a wonderful experience. I opted for the daily special: Smoked pork hash with poached eggs. My wife went for the cheesy grits with poached eggs. Somehow, she got eggs the way I like them (runny yolk) and I got them the way she likes them (hard yolks). Just a random glitch that dropped the rating from 5 to 4 stars. The food was superb. Contrary to other reviews, we found the service excellent.

Plan to wait for a table. The place is not large. We had to wait for a table for two at 10:45.

We definitely plan to go back.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Southern food with a flair. The grits are authentic and varied - from shrimp and spices to cheesie simplicity. The fried chicken is good but what gets me on my bicycle to ride there early on a weekend morning is the waffle. Most of you have never had a delicate, lacy cornmeal waffle. Melts in your mouth! Service can be erratic and slow. easy drive from San Francisco because it's just at the end of the Bay Bridge. Not easy access from the BART.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

There's nothing complicated or sophisticated about this wonderful venue: it's a shameless feel good soul food house and hot diggity dawg it's wonderful
The chicken and pancakes was sublime and the assortment if desserts we shared delightful
The 2 hr wait for a table and further 45 minutes for the food once ordered does drop the review a notch tho.