“A little different menu, atmosphere, location. Fried chicken, ribs. Very good!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brown Sugar Kitchen

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 1,239 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Benicia, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am writing this review, because it is not great Italian or seafood. It is chicken, ribs, pancakes. A different more cafe feel, but with really great food. And the location is in an industrial area, with good street parking.

• Visited June 2013

San Francisco, California
“Too Difficult to Choose My Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Everything looked so good... plates of fried chicken and waffles sailing by for other patrons... The heat was on... I was the last at the table to order... my partner had ordered the chicken and waffles. I ordered the veggie scramble, hoping to do some grazing and sharing. What a breakfast! I have never eaten a biscuit so light, fluffy and buttery as this. I was never much of a waffle fan until this morning... I was born again. All of life clicked into place. Until I ate the chicken and heaven appeared!

Boulder, Colorado
“Good but, C'mon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We got there about 11 on a Sunday, not the best timing. Good hour wait with the crowds outside on a beautiful, sunny day. Coffee nothing to write home about. When we sat, we started with a bacon, cheddar, scallion biscuit-tasty. My fried chicken and waffles was as advertised. The waffles were all air and crunch, and the apple cider syrup was unique, but you would need a heaping plateful to fill your tummy. Chicken good but not outstanding. My wife's BBQ shrimp and grits were delicious, but so rich we couldn't finish it between the two of us. My son wolfed down his eggs and grits. Excellent service. A great breakfast place, though pricey, but I'm not sure what being the number 5 rated restaurant says about the competition.

Gwynn Oak, Maryland
“Worth Trying If You Have Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I read the reviews and wanted to try some good "comfort food" while in San Francisco. it wasn't too bad.

Location - Located just across the Lincoln Bridge from San Francisco, you can easily miss this place . It is located in an industrial area near the harbor in a small building set on its own corner. The building is small but it fit fairly comfortably what seemed like 50-60 people plus a "bar. They make it work! Parking might be an issue if it's filled to capacity. You park along the street alongside or in back of the building. I think you could park on the other side of the street across from the building but it didn't look like it.

Service - There was a short wait when we arrived about 2 on a Friday. The hostess and servers were nice and paid attention to the needs of our table of 3. Great service

Food- We didn't order the "chicken and waffles" but blackened catfish, gumbo, beignets, and ribs. For those from Louisiana skip the gumbo and catfish you might be disappointed. The gumbo roux was a little oily, thinner had more okra than expected but the spice was good. It wasn't the traditional gumbo flavor but non traditionalists might like it. Tip add the cornbread (which is REALLY GOOD) to the gumbo. It makes a huge difference in taste and flavor. Skip the "honey butter" it didn't do much for the cornbread which can stand on its own. The catfish was good not spicy or super flavorful but decent, it seems like it was missing something. The ribs were good so definitely order them they might be great with the waffles. They don't come with sauce but that's ok they're good without sauce. The beignets were okay but don't expect Cafe Du Monde, try them they're decent. Can you have too much powder sugar on beignets? Overall the food was ok..I think there must be a "Californian" spin on cajun food that I'm not use to.

Atmosphere- Great atmosphere..good reggae playing but not overpowering conversations. Good energy!

Value- I think it was a little overpriced for the kinds of food but we're tourists :). We'll take one for the team.

Overall - Good experience worth trying or at least checking off the list while in the area.

Carson, California
“Easter Sunday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was very crowded and we had an hour wait. Usually that means a place has good food. My wife had the chicken and waffles and I had the gumbo and skillet cornbread. The staff was friendly and polite. There was seating provided for those waiting indoors and more outdoors. I had a Mimosa while waiting. I felt the prices were a little high, but that is par for the Bay area. My gumbo made with chicken, sausage and okra was very tasty. The cornbread was excellent. I tasted my wife's chicken and waffles and the waffles were very light and good. The chicken was also moist with rich buttermilk batter. Was too full for beignets-they looked good though. I recommend this as a nice eating option is Oakland.

• Visited March 2013