WINNER WONDERLAND

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #14 of 1,234 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Martha's Vineyard
“A 'must eat' destination! Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I can't get the shrimp and grits off my mind; a large bowl with an ample amount of sauce to smother the grits in an incredible flavor (just spicy enough) with a generous portion of shrimp. Loved it! My fellow diner raved about the chicken and waffles. There were customers waiting outside and the restaurant was packed. We sat at the counter, so our wait was short. It was fun to watch the quick efficiency of the kitchen. This restaurant is a large clean room with great style. I'd be a regular if I lived in the Bay area. I highly recommend it!

• Visited January 2013

Tracy, California
“A good place for good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. Whether it's breakfast or lunch, you will not be disappointed with the Brown Sugar Kitchen. Although you may encounter a wait, this laid back restaurant is worth the time. The service is good and friendly. Nice size portions without feeling overly stuffed at the end of your meal. The ribs are some of the best I've tested. Ironically, better than most "rib joints." (Chef Tonya recently opened another restaurant B Side which has good BBQ) Go several times and if there are specials, do try one. I was told many of the cooks are culinary students or recent graduates of culinary schools. If there is any truth to this it's in the consistency and quality of the food. Each time, I've been everything has also tasted the same which is a good thing.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Rosa, California
“Worth the weekend wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We came here on the recommendation of a foodie friend and were glad we did. We had to wait about 40 minutes on a Saturday morning at 10 (promised 45) but you can get coffee, lattes and a biscuit if you can't wait. The coffee was excellent. With friends we were able to try several different things, but as others have recommended, the chicken and waffles were great as were the beignets. Would also recommend the pork hash and poached eggs (hash had a nice little bit of spice). Poached eggs and cheddar cheese grits were also good. It is a bustling busy place but we had great, attentive, friendly service will good timing on the coffee and water refills. They have a nice security guard walking around the lot and street so we felt very safe.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles
“Busy!!! But worth it..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

This kitchen is very busy. But it is well worth the wait. There was a line, but, I was alone, so I was able to eat at the counter, which was FANTASTIC!!! You have a full view of the kitchen which moves at lightening and precise speed. Everyone was having the chicken and waffles, which I know is there signature dish. I had the cheese grits and eggs with the biscuits. Lovely...

• Visited December 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Try the chicken & waffle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a connoisseur of fried chicken! I read about the owner in O Magazine some while ago(that's Oprah Winfrey in case you didn't know) and decided we had to stop in to see "if" it was good or not! On a score of 10...If I had a paddle marked 11 she would've gotten it!

IT WAS BETTER THAN GOOD! It was worth the drive from Los Angeles good! The waffle was unlike anything I've EVER tasted! The homeabde syrup was light and not too sweet. A perfect pairing for this dish! Back to the waffle....It was fluffy light and melted in your mouth! The owner was on hand this day and she was pleasant and inviting! NOTE: Can get crowded since it's a popular spot so call ahead but try her for breakfast around 7:30am. Then by noon (when you're hungry make a drive to her companion BBQ restaruant (B-Side BBQ) closeby.

• Visited October 2012