“Worth the weekend wait!”

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 1,293 Restaurants in Oakland
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We came here on the recommendation of a foodie friend and were glad we did. We had to wait about 40 minutes on a Saturday morning at 10 (promised 45) but you can get coffee, lattes and a biscuit if you can't wait. The coffee was excellent. With friends we were able to try several different things, but as others have recommended, the chicken and waffles were great as were the beignets. Would also recommend the pork hash and poached eggs (hash had a nice little bit of spice). Poached eggs and cheddar cheese grits were also good. It is a bustling busy place but we had great, attentive, friendly service will good timing on the coffee and water refills. They have a nice security guard walking around the lot and street so we felt very safe.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This kitchen is very busy. But it is well worth the wait. There was a line, but, I was alone, so I was able to eat at the counter, which was FANTASTIC!!! You have a full view of the kitchen which moves at lightening and precise speed. Everyone was having the chicken and waffles, which I know is there signature dish. I had the cheese grits and eggs with the biscuits. Lovely...

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a connoisseur of fried chicken! I read about the owner in O Magazine some while ago(that's Oprah Winfrey in case you didn't know) and decided we had to stop in to see "if" it was good or not! On a score of 10...If I had a paddle marked 11 she would've gotten it!

IT WAS BETTER THAN GOOD! It was worth the drive from Los Angeles good! The waffle was unlike anything I've EVER tasted! The homeabde syrup was light and not too sweet. A perfect pairing for this dish! Back to the waffle....It was fluffy light and melted in your mouth! The owner was on hand this day and she was pleasant and inviting! NOTE: Can get crowded since it's a popular spot so call ahead but try her for breakfast around 7:30am. Then by noon (when you're hungry make a drive to her companion BBQ restaruant (B-Side BBQ) closeby.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love what the owner has done for West Oakland. It was a very daring move to open up a restaurant in the middle of an industrial area, but none the less, there is always a line here. Therein lies my lack of understanding. Why?

The food was OK. I ordered the fried chicken and waffles, along with an order of beignets to share. We waited for about 30-40 minutes after ordering, on top of the 30 minute wait to be seated before the beignets showed up. Definitely pad your stomach first if you are hungry.

The chicken was battered, fried, and then baked to a final crisp in front of us. While the batter was well seasoned and of appropriate texture, I found the chicken to be overcooked. The waffle was excellent - light and airy, and not too filling.

The total bill worked out to be about $25 per person. For chicken and waffles. A bit expensive, and a bit overrated. The owner has since then opened up a BBQ joint, called B-sides BBQ, which in my opinion is similar in price range, but has more unique food offerings in a less crowded environment.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Fried chicken and waffles? Why not. Wonderful combinations. Great selection of sides to go along with a very flavorful main dish.