“Try the chicken & waffle”

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 1,281 Restaurants in Oakland
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Los Angeles, California
“Try the chicken & waffle”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a connoisseur of fried chicken! I read about the owner in O Magazine some while ago(that's Oprah Winfrey in case you didn't know) and decided we had to stop in to see "if" it was good or not! On a score of 10...If I had a paddle marked 11 she would've gotten it!

IT WAS BETTER THAN GOOD! It was worth the drive from Los Angeles good! The waffle was unlike anything I've EVER tasted! The homeabde syrup was light and not too sweet. A perfect pairing for this dish! Back to the waffle....It was fluffy light and melted in your mouth! The owner was on hand this day and she was pleasant and inviting! NOTE: Can get crowded since it's a popular spot so call ahead but try her for breakfast around 7:30am. Then by noon (when you're hungry make a drive to her companion BBQ restaruant (B-Side BBQ) closeby.

• Visited October 2012

Oakland, California
“Why the lines?”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love what the owner has done for West Oakland. It was a very daring move to open up a restaurant in the middle of an industrial area, but none the less, there is always a line here. Therein lies my lack of understanding. Why?

The food was OK. I ordered the fried chicken and waffles, along with an order of beignets to share. We waited for about 30-40 minutes after ordering, on top of the 30 minute wait to be seated before the beignets showed up. Definitely pad your stomach first if you are hungry.

The chicken was battered, fried, and then baked to a final crisp in front of us. While the batter was well seasoned and of appropriate texture, I found the chicken to be overcooked. The waffle was excellent - light and airy, and not too filling.

The total bill worked out to be about $25 per person. For chicken and waffles. A bit expensive, and a bit overrated. The owner has since then opened up a BBQ joint, called B-sides BBQ, which in my opinion is similar in price range, but has more unique food offerings in a less crowded environment.

Visited April 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“A unique food experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Fried chicken and waffles? Why not. Wonderful combinations. Great selection of sides to go along with a very flavorful main dish.

California
“Three words: Shrimp and grits”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Brown Sugar Kitchen review for Trip Advisor

I've been eating here for years. I discovered this restaurant after my sister saw a profile of it on a TV show and wanted to try it out when she was in town visiting.

When I first started patronizing Brown Sugar Kitchen, it was still new and one could walk in and get a table relatively easily. I remember chatting with the owner (Tanya) and her husband (Phil). They are very personable and great to converse with. This may be one of the main reasons I continue to come back.

While there are sometimes long lines now (best if you go solo as there usually is a seat at the bar), it is absolutely worth the wait!

I tend to order the same thing -- the barbecue shrimp and grits. The grits alone are wonderful -- creamy and full of flavor. Add the sauce and shrimp, and it is heaven!

I also love the macaroni and cheese (cheesy goodness), the cornmeal waffle is divine (light, fluffy and delicious) and the chicken is pretty good as well. Try a biscuit, and if it’s cool outside (or even if it isn’t) the hot chocolate is decadent!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank SoulMoonChild
Oakland, California
“Great Food!!!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten at Brown Sugar on several occasions; breakfast and lunch and the food is alway exquisite! The down side is the weekends are very crowed and the waitresses are slow in moving patrons along. I was there on Seaturday and watched a table of four women linger for more than 20 minutes after finishing their meal and paying the check. I believe if the waitress would have began clearing the table, the women would have taken the hint and moved along. it may seem like a small thing, but most people want to eat and get on with their day.