“A unique food experience”

Brown Sugar Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 1,328 Restaurants in Oakland
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brown Sugar Kitchen is a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & brunch. We have a Zagat score of 26, which is the highest score for a soul food restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Fried chicken and waffles? Why not. Wonderful combinations. Great selection of sides to go along with a very flavorful main dish.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Brown Sugar Kitchen review for Trip Advisor

I've been eating here for years. I discovered this restaurant after my sister saw a profile of it on a TV show and wanted to try it out when she was in town visiting.

When I first started patronizing Brown Sugar Kitchen, it was still new and one could walk in and get a table relatively easily. I remember chatting with the owner (Tanya) and her husband (Phil). They are very personable and great to converse with. This may be one of the main reasons I continue to come back.

While there are sometimes long lines now (best if you go solo as there usually is a seat at the bar), it is absolutely worth the wait!

I tend to order the same thing -- the barbecue shrimp and grits. The grits alone are wonderful -- creamy and full of flavor. Add the sauce and shrimp, and it is heaven!

I also love the macaroni and cheese (cheesy goodness), the cornmeal waffle is divine (light, fluffy and delicious) and the chicken is pretty good as well. Try a biscuit, and if it’s cool outside (or even if it isn’t) the hot chocolate is decadent!

1  Thank SoulMoonChild
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've eaten at Brown Sugar on several occasions; breakfast and lunch and the food is alway exquisite! The down side is the weekends are very crowed and the waitresses are slow in moving patrons along. I was there on Seaturday and watched a table of four women linger for more than 20 minutes after finishing their meal and paying the check. I believe if the waitress would have began clearing the table, the women would have taken the hint and moved along. it may seem like a small thing, but most people want to eat and get on with their day.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were warned not to keep valuables in our car that were visible since there had been break-ins reported. However, we didn't have any problems. Came here on a Friday morning at about 9:45 and there was one family ahead of us. Wait was about 15 minutes for a table for four. The cornmeal waffle was the best I've eaten. They were light and crisp and melted in my mouth. Never had anything like it. They serve it with a brown sugar/vinegar syrup which was different and tasty. You can also get it with maple syrup for a little more $. The fried chicken was not the best I've eaten, but it was moist and flavorful. My SO had the special.....corned beef hash and eggs and he enjoyed it. They seem to use vinegar in the sauce that was different. Definitely recommend this place for the waffles.

Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We came for lunch. The restaurant wasn't hard to find...we located it rather quickly when we exited the interstate. We waited no longer than 15 minutes for a table which was surprising since previous reviews sounded as if we would be waiting a lifetime. Overall the food was good but not exactly traditional homestyle soul food. The food has a more modern/ecclectic twist but it was definitely worth trying. Also, the neighborhood in which it is located is not as run down or as dicey as previousy indicated. In short, Brown Sugar Kitchen was a good experience with good food...definitely worth a try.