“Great food, slow service”

Home of Chicken and Waffles
Ranked #75 of 1,281 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Vancouver, Canada
“Great food, slow service”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

First of all, I have to say the food itself was great. The chicken was crispy and the waffles were perfect. We ordered a couple of cocktails but they were WAY too strong. We got them to add almost half a cup more of juice before it actually tasted like a cocktail. It took about 15-20mins before they came to take our order and we saw that our food was sitting and waiting to be picked up. The eating part was great, i recommend the strawberry lemonade. When the bill came, we paid in cash, but when the change came, we noticed that they had missed out $10. We know that happens, but it seemed a little sketch when she acting like it was no big deal, as if it happens often.

Great food, but I would not recommend it if you like good and prompt service.

Visited July 2012

Anchorage
“Made me a convert to grits”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Really good fried chicken done just right: moist on the inside, just enough fried crunchery on the outside. Mac and cheese was very tasty and melt in your mouth goodness. Waffles were very good. But the grits made me a believer in a food item that I've tried my entire life to avoid. My sothern family tried and tried to get me to eat them but no way. But Chicken and Waffles makes them extremely well. Not sure what is different about them, but they are sooo good. Lots of other good food on this menu, but these are my faves. Service is sometimes good and attentive, sometimes perfunctory, and sometimes there's an annoyed attitude. Guess it depends on the servers, but some uniformity of service would be good. Atmosphere is very retro and feels very much the neighborhood vibe. Good location in Jack London Square. If you are staying in SF, it is worth the passenger ferry ride over to Oakland to eat here anytime of the day, not just for breakfast.

• Visited May 2012
SLC, UT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late Night Fair”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great late Night Grub -but crowded with after bar scene. (Great people watching!!)

Visited April 2012
New Hampshire
“Amazing or Mediocre”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've eaten at this establishment twice...with mixed results. First time, I and two friends, had lunch at this restaurant. We discovered it through a Groupon promotion and I was amazed at the heavenly combination of perfectly-fried chicken breast and delcious buckwheat waffles that I ordered with a side of rice and beans. The food was so good that I made a point of returning upon my next visit to Oakland despite poor service and a long wait! This visit I received a much-smaller and dry piece of chicken along with mediocre (if not rude) service....AND I had to pay FULL price! Was certainly disappointed.

Visited July 2012
Santa Clarita, California
“Best chicken strips ever!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Okay - the service is slow so if you are in a hurry you should probably eat elsewhere. The chicken strips are the best I have ever had! And I do mean ever! The pink lemonaide rocked also! Only other drawback was the chicken Breast was dry? Opposite of the strips? Go figure. Waitress was nice - good eats!