“lives up to its reputation”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wood Tavern

Wood Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Wood Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,257 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alcatraz
Transit: Rockridge BART is 5 blocks away. A major thoroughfare for bus lines, including the 51 and 151
Oakland, California
“lives up to its reputation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Went with two friends and we all had different entrees. I ordered the chicken and the server said people come back for it time and again. I am going to be one of those. One of our party ordered the back cod and scarfed up every morsel. The only complaint from our third was that that the yummy hamburger was round, but served on a square piece of foccacio. Hard to eat as the meat kept slithering out. Her hands were a greasy mess when she finished. It would have been nice had she been offered a moist towel. Desserts were reasonable and very good. I expected the restaurant to be noisier than it was, so that was a good surprise.

Its in my neighborhood, so I will definitely go back.

• Visited February 2014

“Simply the best ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you can have one dinner or lunch out in Oakland GO HERE! It is the best. I recomend starting with the cheese and meat board it is beyond belief. For dinner their chicken is beyond belief. It is so good that I can't even believe it is chicken. I don't know enough to know how or what they put in the sauce but it is excelent. I have had other main dishes that are wonderful but their chicken takes the prize. The bar is wonderful and makes the best Manattin ever! I have only ordered the desert twice and gotten the same one both times. An apple crumple with rosemary ice cream. I know sounds weird but it is so good I dreamt about it days after.
I have allways made reservations for late lunch as it is hard to get dinner reservations but the chicken is on both menues.

• Visited February 2014
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is truly excellent. Good atmosphere but noisy. Must make reservations well in advance. Worth the wait.

• Visited December 2013
Cal
“Great service and Good comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I went to this place for my birthday. We made a reservation but arrived 1 hour earlier because we were so hungry. They accommodated us earlier and the service was superb!
It is a nice neighborhood hang out. I had this amazing pork chop as a main, but their kale salad was exquisite! My husband's halibut was a miss though. It was bit too noisy to carry a conversation and have an intimate dinner, thus a one star minus.

• Visited December 2013
San Jose, California
“Unhurried Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Upon entering The Wood Tavern, I informed the hostess that we would probably be there for 3 hours. She was very gracious and thanked me for telling her. My two friends and I were able to have an unhurried lunch on this rainy day, starting with a lovely cheese board, glass of wine, and entree. The server was polite, attentive, and efficient. We'll be back!

Visited February 2014