“Excellent Meal”
Review of Wood Tavern

Wood Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Wood Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alcatraz
Transit: Rockridge BART is 5 blocks away. A major thoroughfare for bus lines, including the 51 and 151
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Went for family member's birthday while in town. Excellent food, good service. Everyone at the table loved their dinner. I had the pork chop which probably was the best pork chop I have ever eaten! Very solid meal, highly recommended. Will go back when in town again.

1  Thank psych1014

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good solid American comfort food in the Rockridge area of Oakland. Best hamburger and fries in Oakland. Small so make a reservation.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was able to make a reservation for 3 for Sunday night on Open Table. With as much hype as this place gets, I was surprised we were able to get in on very short notice (same day). We were seated at the front window and enjoyed our dishes. I ordered the pork belly and heirloom tomato appetizers and enjoyed them. The pork belly was good- not the gristled unappetizingly fatty pieces I've had at other places although the egg could have been a little more runny for my liking. The tomatoes were very tasty. Service was ok, not outstanding. I liked Wood Tavern but was not blown away by it, but definitely a good place to try.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My FAVORITE restaurant and my go-to place when I go back to Berkeley. We first stumbled upon this restaurant by chance back in 2007. I was with a friend and we saw a crowd at the bar next door as we passed by Safeway on the bus and thought we'd check it out--but by happy accident, we ended up eating here instead. I first came here before it caught on mainstream (e.g., before you had to have a reservation to eat here) and it's just as good today as it was those years ago.

Reservations are basically required; since it's gotten so popular, it's tough finding a table the night that you want to go without booking weeks in advance now.

Their menu changes seasonally I believe. I've been there a total of four times now and my favorite dish so far is the quail garnished with sweet potato, but the pastrami sandwich and pork belly w/lentils appetizer are just as delicious during lunch. The pork chop with any of their reds (including the special of the day) is juicy and not dry and is another one of my favorites. For dessert, the apple pie with earl grey breakfast ice cream with huckleberry has been a consistent highlight. But like I said, their menu changes with the seasons; either way you can rest assured they are serving fine, quality food with great ingredients.

The service is top notch--attentive and courteous (they'll fold your napkin when you get out of your seat and that of course is my standard of 5 star service)....like I said, this place reminds me of a quality SF restaurant, but in Oakland/Berkeley.

Ambiance...it has gotten a bit loud since I first got there, because it has become more of a gastropub. You'll more frequently see loud parties because of the drinking they do, but it doesn't detract from the experience. I love getting the window table and people watching with the window open. This part of Oakland is just great.

Yes the price is high but compared to other Berkeley/Oakland, Michelin-level eats, for the price you pay, you get amazing food coupled with top notch service. For an accessible restaurant for Cal students looking to escape campus for a while, and now as an alumni to take my friends and family to when we visit campus, this is my #1 choice. I just wish it was easier to get reservations these days.....

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Needed a fabulous place to have a birthday dinner. Wood Tavern's food, service, and drinks definitely fit the bill.

The pork chop was by far the best one I've ever eaten. The pork chop was tender, moist, and had some sort of glaze on it, or was marinated in something that was perfect. It came with fingerlings, and a corn with leeks type sauce. This dish was full of flavor, balanced well, with still allowed the flavor of the pork to come through.

The service was wonderful, and went above and beyond. Their service exceeds how one would like to be treated at a 5 star. Which brings me to prices. I feel Wood Tavern was very reasonable for entrees, drinks, and desserts. I was very surprised.