“Very cool spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wood Tavern

Wood Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Wood Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,226 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gluten Free Options
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alcatraz
Transit: Rockridge BART is 5 blocks away. A major thoroughfare for bus lines, including the 51 and 151
Commerce Township
“Very cool spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was in the area visiting my brother who lives in the area and we stopped here for lunch. He eats here frequently and since we were walking around Berkley we stopped here for lunch. It was very busy so we ate at the bar. The place is very hip, much like one would expect in this area. I can't give a lengthy review because we both had the burger with fries, which my brother always raves a out. It did not disappoint. Burgers don't get any better than this, cooked to perfection and the "bun" (not really a bun at all") is great. Just don't get burgers back in Michigan served like this. From Acme Bread I believe. And the fries rock! If you are in the area, I highly recommend it.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank David F

Berkeley, California
“Third time not a charm....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The ultimate Berkeley hipster restaurant (even though it's just over the Oakland border)....vibrant, noisy, excellent bar. A fun place to be. Notwithstanding the usual long waits, my first two meals here were just fine. Tasty comfort food, well-prepared. My third visit was a mini-disaster. Despite a 7:45pm reservation, not seated until 8:15, and our entrees did not arrive until 9:15. The host and server were nice and solicitous, but when my bouillabaisse finally arrived (after two messages that it would be coming "soon"), it was lukewarm. More to the point, the classic Provencal fish soup was anemic and almost flavorless....I could have accepted the apparent lack of garlic, but the there wasn't much evidence of other herbs and spices either. Next time, I'll try to come on a Monday or Tuesday, when the kitchen will likely to be able to keep up with the crowds.

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco, CA
“Creative Neighborhood Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is one of my favorites in the bay area. The food is always at least good, often excellent. The cocktails are varied and interesting. It's difficult for me to not order the pork belly appetizer whenever I go in because it's so good. I often have out of town guests request that we go there. Dinner is always very crowded so reservations are a good idea. I prefer to get there for lunch when it's less hectic.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank lovestotravel06
San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Neighborhood Gem!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We live right down the street from this fantastic restaurant. The food is always amazing. I'm a vegetarian, and I appreciate the chef always having something delicious on the menu for me, even though this place is known for their burgers!! The gnocchi is a great go-to. Always the perfect portions and a variety of flavors no matter how often you go. The only downside, sometimes getting a reservation at this popular establishment takes some in-advance planning. If you can get there close to opening (4:30 or 5) - the bar is open seating. They only have one large table, so going in a smaller group (2 or 4) is better.

• Visited December 2012
California
“excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The selection of food is always great here. Very flavorful very tasty. soups are always spot on and not salty. salads are all very light and crisp. sandwiches for lunch are hardy. good portion. pastrami is amazing as are their seasonal sandwiches. fries are very crispy. carmel brownie is amazing as well. creamy. the only down side is go early because service gets slow if you are in a middle of rush for lunch or dinner and it gets loud.

• Visited November 2012