“Average hotel, needs help”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a late review from our 2012 summer road trip. We stayed 2 nights at the Comfort Suites. On arrival their was on desk clerk. He was extremely slow in checking in the two parties in front of us, which took at least 20 minutes. By that time there were 4 parties behind us. We were given an accessable room on the first floor which was very roomy.
The buffet breakfast was a madhouse. The room was filled with what appeared to be large groups of Asian students, who devoured everything in sight. Nearly all of the food bins were empty, with lines 5 deep waiting for more food. If you were not in line, the food was gone again before you got to the front.
The best part of our stay was the bartender in the lounge where we lazily decided to eat one evening. He did not have any food available and allowed us to order pizza and eat at the bar. He was very friendly, and my wife and I enjoyed talking with him.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you passing through Oakland, the Comfort Inn is a very good hotel to check in. The rooms are pretty spacious, clean, and very nice. This hotel provides wireless Internet access and free parking for its guests, and the breakfast was also pretty good. My personal favorite thing about Comfort Inn, was the indoor Jacuzzi, but it also has a gym, and a sauna. On the downside, the services could have been better, and the Wifi was a little slow. Other than that, this was a very pleasant stay, and the prices here are also very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We attended the A's Game and the Fireworks afterward, so we decided to stay overnight ahead of time. This place was close and we got a good deal online. We expected an average room with a bed. They upgraded us at no extra charge to a suite and it was pretty nice. It had a huge bathroom, a dining area, a well stocked kitchen, living room and a separated bedroom with the most comfortable king size bed we have ever slept in. The room was quiet and we were happy as clams! The breakfast was very good and very popular. We had scrambled eggs, sausage and bagel. There were cereals, belgian waffles, a variety of breads, variety of coffees, fruit, orange juice, etc. All very good to start our day with.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Nice clean and quiet place. Staff was EXTREMELY friendly and it was nice having someone monitoring the parking lot at night. Free wifi, breakfast was also a nice change from the horrible place we stayed the evening before!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were a wee bit concerned about staying here due to the reviews on here. But all was good, walls are thin and can hear people talking in the next room though so bring earplugs with you. Bathroom was clean and they supply a coffee filter machine in each room to make your own coffee. Breakfast is included each morning which is ok ..bagels, cereals, sausages, scrambled eggs. Rooms are spacious. The establishment also has a bar for alcohol beverages and also supplies pizza for dinner if needed at $13 USD. Wi Fi is included free but is rather slow and disconnects at times when busy. Taxi from Coliseum is $14 USD and can get the Bart from San Fran central for $3.85 USD each. We went to Dennys for dinner which is a 5 minute walk away and meals at approx. $8.00 USD. We went to Jack in the Box for lunch 99c for 2 tacos. We purchased a mobile loan phone from Mobile T a 15 minute walk away across from Walmart.

Room Tip: Use earplugs for sleeping.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

First things first, my rating is based almost exclusively on how badly I was treated by the front desk staff upon check-in. The rooms are fine, the location to O.Co Coliseum is great, the neighboorhood is not great, and it is easy to get to and more importantly get out of. We arrived prior to game 3 of the ALDS in October. Upon walking up to the front desk to check in, the agent wouldn't even acknowledge my presence. After standing there for several minutes she looked up at me, with an accusatory look, and just stared at me. Never offered a greeting, nothing. Having travel extensively around the world, and having stayed at hotels and motels accross the rating scales, I've never had this happen. So I told the lady that we had a reservation. After typing, what appeared to be 3 letters on her kepboard, she stated that we did not have a reservation, all without looking at me. Surprised by the continued rude reception given to my wife and I, I set my reservation printout on the counter, and pulled up the reservation email on my phone. She looked at both, finally looked at me, and told me that I made a mistake and still didn't have a reservation. At this point, I was furious and should have demanded to talk to her boss, but i tried to explain what could clearly be seen on my printout and on the email reservation on my phone. She would not help me, and told me it was my problem to sort out. I was stunned. So I called the number on my reservation form, which was done through Hotels.com, and talked to them. They stated that they were clearly showing the reservation in the system and couldn't understand the problem, and asked to talk to the front desk clerk. I put handed my cell phone to the clerk, and listened to her tell the reservation agent that they had messed up. Quickly, the front desk clerk became quiet, and handed my phone back. As I started talking to the reservation agent on my phone, I was told that the front desk clerk, had made a mistake and that it was taken care of. I thanked the lady, disconnected the phone call, and turned back to the front desk agent. I was expecting an apology, instead i got more anger from the clearly mad clerk. She told me that the hotels.com people hadn't properly FAXED the reservation information to them. Seriously, in a world where everything is done electronically, do you expect me to believe that her error was due to an incorrect FAX! She grudgingly gave me a room key, didn't bother telling me the general direction of the room (as is standard for every clerk in every hotel in the entire world), and picked up her phone. If I could give this location less than one star, I would. This type of behaviour and action is totally unacceptable, and has no place being displayed by an employee of any hotel or motel. At this point, I couldn't be paid to stay here.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite site of the highway and freeway. That will help to reduce some of the tr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JpocJedi
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, although most of our days were spent touring SF, we found the room to be very comfortable, spacious and clean when we were ready to crash for the night and jump start for the day! The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was fresh! The staff preparing the breakfast in the morning was very responsive, made sure items running out were filled promptly and responded to requests! If you have a car, traveling to SF was a mere 30 minutes, parking was available at the times during our stay. Overall very comfortable stay, only reason I am not giving it an excellent is one morning as we were ready to start out tour, when we walked to our car in the parking lot, there were a handful of people on bikes in the parking lot listening to loud R&B music. I am sure they were just hanging out but just did not give the right environment setting needed for ease of mind, this was on our third day there. Although I was concerned, my husband brushed it off saying they are doing their hanging out...but still I did not like the vibes of the setting! Suggestion to management would be to make sure shady activities dont go around the back part of the parking lot. In a sum i would rate the hotel as being comforotable convinient and has friendly staff...and would recommend people to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple