“DECENT FOR 1 NIGHT, BUT LOTS OF ISSUES”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed June 28, 2013

VERY slow internet. Not enough TV stations. Doors slam here louder than any Hotel I've ever been in. So don't plan on sleeping in, or working quietly in your room. No USA today here, Wall Street Journal only, ugh. They collect rent upfront like the little motels do, first time I've seen this at a Choice Hotel.

Crowded room, but all the amenities: Couch/coffee table sitting area, flat screen, mini fridge, micro, large bath with big counter. Good location next to Oakland Coliseum.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank drdroad

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was in town for business and just needed to stay for one night at a no frills type of hotel. This hotel had a decent rate and seemed sufficient for a last minute booking. The hotel is not in a nice area. There was a lot of questionable activity going on around the hotel. Somebody was smoking either in a room near mine or just outside my window. The AC units are wall units that blow in the outside air. Not usually a big problem, but in this case it might have been that it blew smoke into my room.

The walls are very thin. I could hear everything going on around my room. There was also a very loud fan that was running constantly for maybe 45 minutes out of every hour the whole night. It must have been in the bathroom in the room next to mine. I don't know exactly where it was from, but it was so loud and would go on for several minutes, then go off for maybe 2 minutes, then go on for several minutes, and repeat this cycle endlessly.

This is a low budget hotel which comes with low budget hotel problems. The towels and linens are cheap and everything about the hotel is just barely passable for a place where you just need to crash for a night. However, the thin walls and the fan issue (which is probably particular to my specific room) just pushed it over the edge for me and I was not even really able to sleep through the night, which makes this hotel fail, even for the limited purpose I needed it for. And I am not one of those people who have a hard time sleeping or complain about things normally. In fact, I can count on one hand the times that I have ever even taken the time to write a bad review of a place. I felt this one meritted a warning. I should have checked Trip Advisor before checking in because it appears that I am not the only one.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms (due to possibility that AC unit will suck in smoke from people standing out...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

First, try Days Hotel, which is right next door for an excellent, affordable alternative. This review is based solely on Comfort Inn's management and customer service, easily the worse experience my family has encountered. We arrived the night before our flight left Oakland. "Dan" the manager on hand, told my wife they did not have parking spots for us to store our car for the week that we'd be gone on vacation. How can a hotel not have enough spots for their customers? When I told him we couldn't stay if we couldn't park our car, he rudely said, "Then cancel your reservation." I said "OK, but we'll need a refund." Dan said, "Call 'Hotwire' and cancel it, we will not charge you." Needless to say, after 30min on the phone with Hotwire who called "Dan," he would not agree to refund our money and told Hotwire they DID HAVE PARKING AVAILABLE for the week! Again, try Days Hotel, right next door. If you have to stay here, I hope you have no reason to deal with management.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
young101, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest, Your booking was for one night stay made thru a 3rd party site. In this case we do not provide inventory for stay and fly package to them. If you were to use this type of package then there is a rate difference, which we communicated and your wife insisted that the parking for a week is included in the booking made via Hotwire. However, later during your discussions with Hotwire floor manager clarified that it is not the package booked and hotel is not obligated to leaving your car while you are gone for extended period of time. An alternative was offered to pay extra for parking directly to hotel or deal with cancellation fee and by that time you had left the property. There was no rudeness in our approach. It’s easy to imply under the circumstance, and I am sorry if my clarification of hotel policy was taken as rude. With limited parking at hotel we have to ensure that our entire guests who have booking are able to park their cars and it’s a tall order to maintain. Best regards.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is located just of the freeway and I have been there several times mostly for the rewards stay two times and get a day free.. Well this now ends due to the following facts of BAD Upper Managment. I woke up on Thursday morning and I turned on the TV to watch the morning news.. Well NO Cable hmmm.... I called down and they told me that the cable company was informed about it and they where looking into it.... OK...I work from 7 am to about 7 pm most of the time due to what I do. I went out to dinner and came back to the hotel to sit down have a soda I do not drink Beer or anything else on the road. I turned on the TV and guess what NO TV still..... When I called to the desk to see what was going on they had no idea when it would be back up. So it was about 9 pm so I went to sleep. The next morning it was still the same. My complaint is not having the TV it is that no one at any time called came to my room or in anyway told us of the problem. What kind of management Does this organization have. I no longer will be going to any of their hotels. One more thing the towels they have are old and thread torn. If you do go ask if the TV is working and the towels are not threadborne. Bye for now.

Room Tip: Ask if the TV's are working and the towels are clean
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Travelershep
young101, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Effective June 1, 2013 the Comfort Inn & Suites, Oakland Airport is under new management. We are sorry to hear that you didn't have the experience you expected when you previously stayed at the hotel. We have the experience, the commitment and the resources to support our efforts in making this hotel a best choice for lodging in the area. Maintenance issues and amenities are top priorities for us. I hope that you might give us another chance in the future to show what a great stay we can provide. Warmest Regards, Candy Woodby, CHO.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice and big room with adequate amenities BUT problems with plumbing and cleanliness. The first non-smoking room (3rd floor) that we got was kind of OK but the next door room were smoking marijuana and the smell was all over the place and penetrating everywhere. When I was talking to the manager even before I mention what room, she asked me is it on 3rd floor? and I replied "Yes". It proved me that they know already about this and it is an ongoing deal. She checked the situation out but did NOTHING to stop them, not even a knock on the door or a notice!! Then she told me "We have to charge them extra $200 for violating the policies". I told her, this will take care of your business but what good does it do to me and our health or safety?? She moved us to 2nd floor. The place looked OK till I wanted to take a shower. The hot water was OK but the drain was so slow that I thought it is clogged. One of the bath towels had hair on it. I was so tired that did not want to move to another room again. Just slept and left the place earliest in the morning. ** There are one way back doors in this building that you can go out but cannot get in and must pass in front of the main person in the lobby but there were two occasions that the safety was compromised, the first one is when I wanted to get to my car, two guys were waiting to get in (which they did) and the second one was in the morning that somebody has put a plastic cup in the latch of the door to prevent it from closing and it appeared that the door has been open the whole night for their own activities and when I brought it up to the management's attention they were not surprised.**

Room Tip: Check the plumbing before unpacking! You might end up relocating 10 times.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robert J

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have the experience you expected when you previously stayed at the hotel. Effective June 1, 2013 the Comfort Inn & Suites, Oakland Airport is under new management. We have implemented policies that require immediate check out if smoking or maximum occupancy rules are violated as part of our commitment to providing a safe, accommodating and comfortable environment for families and business travelers. I hope that you might give us another chance in the future to show what a great stay we can provide. Warm regards, Candy Woodby, CHO.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was looking for a clean room, low rate, and a free shuttle to the airport at 4am - and this hotel provided just that. Rooms and hallways could use a little work, but are as expected for what the rate was. Great staff, and Sean who was working the nightshirt was great to work with even at 4am. Do not hesitate to book here.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank mcg33indy

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear you had a good experience. We are a new management team for the hotel, so I encourage you to come back and enjoy even better service in the future. Warm regards, Candy Woodby, CHO.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

It was a very decent stay. Comfortable bed. Clean room and fair service. I read other reviews on this hotel prior to booking my this hotel. I read lots about the neighborhood being unsavory. I disagree, the neighborhood was safe and quiet. The only bad experience would be the good service st the hotel, they use a 3rd party service and the food is way too pricey for the crap food. It was so expensive and such low grade jail house food. Yuck!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Mosby A

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites, Oakland Airport. As of June 1, 2013, we are the new management team for the hotel. I'd like to invite you back whenever you are in the area so that you can experience an even better stay. Warm regards, Candy Woodby, CHO.