We had an early morning flight to Hawaii after several days of staying in Berkeley on our SF visit, so we decided to stay near the airport and got this hotel through hotwire. We spent most of the day in Berkeley and had dinner there and only slept at the hotel, but we were pleased with the service and accommodations.
We took the Bart train from Berkeley and were able to call the hotel and have the shuttle driver come and pick us up at the Bart station. (The hotel shuttle buses stop in a small pull-over area a little walk to the right of where the Bart airport shuttle bus pulls in).
We did not have to wait long and then had the bus to the hotel. The check-in clerks seemed to be very busy on the phone receiving calls from other people who had either arrived at the airport and needed the bus or others at the bart station waiting for the shuttle, and I was impressed with how they were keeping on top of all of the calls.
The hotel was clean, if dated in the room decor, but had everything we needed. Was able to get the shuttle bus again to the airport the next morning so a nice short trip to be there for 7:30 a.m. and didn't have to get up as early as we would if we had not stayed near the airport.
What I did NOT like, and I have noticed this at other HOliday Inn Express outlets, was the cheap, tacky disposable plates and utensils they put out for their free breakfast area in the morning. I realize this is not a full-service restaurant but just a breakfast-serving area that is used only in the morning, but WHY can the hotel not manage to use real plates and utensils? Would it be that difficult to install a dishwasher?? When I am forced to eat on styrofoam plates and plastic forks I feel that I'm at a fast-food place like McDonald's and I find it a depressing way to start the day. It's also a huge waste at a time when we should be thinking of the environment...think of all the garbage that must pile up in a year from the styrofoam plates being thrown away from just this one hotel...I guess we're supposed to appreciate the free breakfast, but I would rather do without than eat off of paper plates. I find this appalling and a sour note at a hotel that was otherwise fine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express & Suites is the closest hotel to the Oakland International Airport and centrally located between San Francisco and Silicon Valley.We welcome all guests either for work or play. Less than half a mile from the Oakland International Airport and just 2.5 miles from the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum & Oracle Arena- home to the Oakland Raiders, the Oakland Athletics and the Golden State Warriors, you can really enjoy the home field advantage. All guest rooms are equipped with a microwave, wet bar, refrigerator & high-speed Internet access wired and wireless connections.We also serve daily a delicious hot buffet breakfast every morning. We are 100% non-smoking! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Oakland Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Oakland Hotel Oakland
- Oakland Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Oakland