Oakland Marriott City Center
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewsthe concierge loungebart stationsan franciscoself parkjack london squarecorner roomhigh floorroom serviceper daydirectly across the streetbay viewoutdoor poolbusiness tripconvenient locationupon checkeasy accessking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Being a Marriott fan - I thought that I'd reserve this room - which was near a BART and had a car rental place. I had an awesome room that overlooked downtown Oakland. Very nice! All the amentities you could want - including a comfy bed. It was a clean and simple room. I tried to get room service - and no one answered. So I went down to the hotel bar - great service - very sweet/cute bartender. Guests at the bar were also very lovely. There were signs everywhere indicating that the hotel was undergoing a makeover - which is perhaps why there was no roomservice. I never found out. Oakland was an absolute ghost town and the hotel had an odd empty feeling (which I couldn't understand because it was very nice!). I found out - upon arrival at the bar that there was a peaceful demonstration being planned around a political event (the outcome/verdict of the Oscar Grant shooting). The police were also gearing up for the demonstration to turn ugly (i.e. a riot). So - I was advised by other guests at the hotel bar to leave this hotel the following morning (which I was going to do anyway). During check out - I was handed a vague letter by the woman at the front desk because I asked what was going on. I indicated that I was supposed to come back in a few days - and would it be safe. She didn't say. If I hadn't asked - she wouldn't have given me the letter - which didn't really say what I needed/wanted to hear (Yes - it is safe or NO - it will not be). I decided to cancel my other night because I didn't appreciate the lack of disclosure on the part of the management. All in all - great hotel and appreciated being near the BART (which I used to go to SF) and the Hertz (which was literally next to the hotel lobby).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Gemmommy
Excellent94, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to share your feedback. Room service is closed between the hours of 12pm-5pm, if it was not during these times that you were trying to order your meal, we apologize that we were not able to be reached. We are happy to know that we were able to provide you with excellent service during your stay in our Atrium Lounge.

The week of your stay was a very unique time for our hotel with a high profile case coming to its conclusion that involved a former Oakland Police Officer. I can imagine how our lack of assurance during your checkout could make you feel uncomfortable. I am truly apologetic for the vague information that we had to share at that time. As we received the latest news alerts we updated our guests as frequently as possible via our guest letters. I would like to assure you that our Management Team was prepared for any outcome and regret that it was not shared with you upon your departure. The well being of our guests is always our top priority. If you would like to share more of your experience at the Oakland Marriott City Center I would love to hear from you. I can be contacted via email at Nora.Lauti@ihrco.com .

Thank you again for choosing the Oakland Marriott City Center and we hope to have another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

Overall: clean, semi-quiet, but needs a face lift.

Public areas and rooms need to be renovated - at least painted and made brighter. Rooms were nicely appointed and roomy. The bed was comfy.

I liked the shower head in the shower. They bath amenities are Bath & Body Works (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) and they even have canisters with packs of cotton balls and q-tips - props for that. Towels were getting a little thin, though.

If you get the right room the view is incredible day or night.

Quick check-in and check out. Only a block or less away from BART (Oakland 12th Street City Center). Walk lively at night though, not a great area to linger in.

Overall I'll be back since it's a good location for business travel and the place isn't horrible - it just isn't the Ritz. But then again, why would there be a Ritz in the middle of downtown Oakland of all places??

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank jerseyshoredeb
Excellent94, Guest Relations at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Thank you so much for being our guest and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are so excited to share with you that we have begun our 17 million dollar refresh. Our refreshed guest rooms are complete with bright inviting colors, new bedding, carpet, furniture and paint. Rest assured that you will enjoy the new even better shower and bathroom fixtures while still enjoying Marriott's Bath & Body works amenities. We look forward to having another opportunity to have you as our guest!

Reviewed March 31, 2010

STayed here 4 Nights for a confrence. Room was OK, but the common areas (ATRIUM BAR AND RESTURANT, HALLWAYS) had a reallt bad odor. IT smelled like liek mold and mildew that soem one has tried to cover up with lysol. Resurant service was horrible! BREAKFAST BUFFET was closed down by 10AM even though all menus said it was oen til 11AM. Ordered a burger twice and both times they wwere dry and tasteless. This place is stuck in teh 80S.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TRAVELINMANFROMNJ
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Classic Marriott property in a great downtown location.
Spent a "Friday Night" getaway and availed ourselves of the restaurant and bar and room service in the morning. We ate at the City Grill which was nice (dozens of better options in walking distance) but certainly convenient.
This hotel is adjacent to the Convention Center so it does a booming business but the hotel staff was VERY friendly and helpful.
We actually didn't like the 1st room - it had a weird configuration for TV viewing - and they had no compunction about moving us to a "better" one.
The rooms however, could use updating. The TV's are old and by this decade I expect larger flat screens in all "upscale" Marriotts.
The room was an excellent value as we used a "free night" certificate but Oakland not being a weekend tourist spot does offer great deals.
As mentioned it was overall a pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EastBayTraveller16
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I'm a business traveler on the road 20+ weeks a year in the US. I was a guest at the Oakland Marriott City Center from 1/18/10 to 1/23/10. From the time I checked in, to the time I checked out, I felt like I was the only guest in the entire hotel. I was at the hotel for an intensive four-day business meeting, and my birthday was the same week. The associates at the hotel recognized it was my birthday and went out of their way to show me that the guest truly comes first with a card, cake, good wishes, etc. I really appreciated all of their efforts and will go out of my way to stay at the Marriott City Center whenever I am in Oakland.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business