“Excellent hotel stay at a reasonable price.” 4 of 5 stars

Oakland Marriott City Center
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent hotel stay at a reasonable price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Oakland City Center's Marriott is a typical Marriott hotel; nice, clean, and relatively upscale. I find reviews knocking the area pretty pointless and being a fan of Oakland myself, it's also irritating. Keep your wits about you, just like you would anywhere else - that's all. Or stay in a different city. Anyway, I found the location extremely convenient, what with the BART station right by the hotel. Commuting to San Francisco and back a couple times was very smooth. Breakfast was also good. Staff is decent. Taking a star off because there were some issues at check-in that were never resolved, (I booked a package stay where the contents of said, "package," were not all delivered.)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine Y
April D, Front Office Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review us. It's good to hear you're a fan of Oakland - there really is a lot to love about "the town"! I'm sorry to hear there were issues with the hotel package you booked. If this hasn't already been resolved, please contact me directly at 510-451-4000 so I can look into it further.

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Oakland proper leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, the Oakland City Center is a great property. Met by very courteous staff, booked in room 901 which is a corner room with multiple views. Yes, hallways have funky 70's carpet but the room has everything needed for a stay. There was a guest appreciation night with free wine and food in the lobby. Met some great people and had a nice time. Went to Level 2 restaurant and had James, the best server in the world. Filet was to die for and I have dined at 5 star steak houses. Have nothing but great things to say about this property and will stay here each time I come back over the next six months.

Room Tip: Room 901!!! Views out of both windows. No neighbors!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank J L
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm glad to hear you were able to attend our guest appreciation event and enjoy a delicious steak at Level Two. Our Executive Chef takes a lot of pride in the menu at Level Two and serves aged Certified Angus Beef steaks - along with many other locally sourced dinner options. It's good to hear that James is so loved by our guests as well. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words.

Thanks again for choosing our hotel as your home away from home and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed at the Marriot Oakland on a recent business trip. It's probably one of the best hotels in the oakland area. Looks a bit dated on the outside but is pleasant inside. Staff we very helfpul throughout the stay. Check in was quick and easy. Room was a good size and had all the amenities you would expect in a downtown Marriot. Gym is good - quite large size and plenty of different equipment. Bar area is also good. I didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. I did order room service breakfast and that was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank andrew g
April D, Front Office Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed some of our hotel amenities. I hope to see you again next time you're in Oakland!
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got back from a trip to watch baseball in the bat area. Are first time in the area but not are last. The rooms are small as all rooms are in the bay area. But they where clean and the people where great. It is close to BART and that makes it easy to get to the ball parks and into San Francisco.
My best part was the staff in the bar. All where good but Tommy stands out. Always helpful and smiling. Great service.
Only thing not working as it should was the check out on the TV. Never got it to work but did get the phone system to work. If I had Tommy's number I bet he would have taken care of it for me.
Count me in for coming back.

Room Tip: All looked good to me. May be ask for off of Broadway side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank sadbuttru
April D, Front Office Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! BART is a great way to get around the Bay area, especially for baseball games. Thanks for leaving that tip for future guests. Tommy is wonderful, we'll be sure to pass your kind words along to him. We hope to see you again soon!
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very helpful staff and accommodative. Location is good. The concierge has are descent selections of food. The negative us the bathroom was very small. Barely can move for two people
If inside. Not enough towel but you just need to request.

Room Tip: Rooms is descent
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found our staff to be helpful and accommodating. I hope you enjoyed the view from the Concierge Lounge - it's a good way to start or end your day. We hope to see you again next time you're in Oakland!
Maine, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed at the Oakland Marriott City Center for the first time on business. They do a nice job here providing for the guests needs. Check in was fast and friendly and the phone check out option was nice although I could not figure out how to make the TV checkout work.

Rooms are well appointed and the beds are comfortable.

$25 a day to self park is a bit steep but the parking garage is functional and secure. I don't like having to pay for wifi but I can use my phone hot spot so no worries for me. Workout facilities seemed top notch.

Hotel restaurant prices are typical (expensive) so I did not utilize, but lots of local options nearby in the city center area.

Bart station is literally right across the street making an easy hop to San Fran or the airports or other attractions.

Not real familiar with Oakland but I would not say it is my favorite city to 'take a stroll' but I felt safe enough in the area.

If you need to stay in Oakland the Marriott City Center fits the bill.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
April D, Front Office Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel! The TV checkout can be tricky if you haven't used it before. Next time you stay with us, let us know and we'd be happy to give a quick run through - it is definitely a convenient check-out option that our guests appreciate. We hope to see you again next time you're in town!
Cambridge, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

It is a Marriott so it does what it says on the tin, but it does do it well and with some style. Comfortable room, excellent views over the bay from 20th floor, good service from lobby staff.

Gripes: usual overpriced restaurants (but several alternatives within easy walking distance), $25 per night for self parking, only 2 devices to connect to Internet per room- surely we all travel with at least 3 ....

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Good evening,

Thank you for your feedback and kind sentiments regarding the staff service and the comfort of our guest rooms. I appreciate your time in reviewing us, as it helps us learn of our guests' experiences. I have shared your comments with the rest of the team regarding both your compliments and suggestions. I hope you choose us for your next trip to Oakland.

Regards,