“It's ok-”

Oakland Marriott City Center
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Rooms are clean. Not too big. Hotel has very good deals for weekends. It is more the kind of hotel for conventions instead of something romantic or with the family.

• Stayed: August 2011
OaklandMarriott, General Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your guest room this weekend. I am glad you were able to take advantage of one of our many weekend packages we have available. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Oakland!

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed here for the July 2011 bar exam. The rooms are very nice. The gym is big enough to do a full body weight and cardio session for an entire week.

The pool area is small and has no hot tub but the pool is heated. The onsite Laundromat is satisfactory.

The bar is very nice and Ed is a great bartender.

I would not recommend the hotel restaurant because it is pricy and offers mediocre food. Everything is pricy, $30 for an in room microwave, expensive parking and internet access, etc. but overall the place is very nice to stay and close to a Bart station and Amtrack.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

I am glad you enjoyed our fitness enter and TwelveBar lounge. I will be sure to share your positive experience with our bartender, Ed, and with the rest of the staff. Our restaurant menu changes often to provide a variety of options for our different groups and guests. Thank you for sharing your trip experience with us.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have stayed at the Oakland Marriott two years in a row for a church conference. We've always found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful.
The rooms were recently refurbished and we found them very comfortable.
Best part of the stay was being able to use the Concierge lounge for breakfast - I am a Marriott rewards member and so it was nice to be able to get breakfast in the concierge lounge, rather than having to pay for it in the restaurant.
The lounge now has a live jazz band in the evenings. They were kind of loud while we were having our meetings next door - I guess no one anticipated the noise level. But overall an enjoyable stay. Kudos to the hotel staff and the conference staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water - SF Bay and Golden Gate bridge.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SLM57
OaklandMarriott, General Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

Thank you for choosing the Oakland Marriott City Center for your hotel accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you are satisfied with your guest room. We are very excited about the great changes we have made as well. We currently have live entertainment in our lounge Friday and Saturday evenings from 7pm-9pm. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Oakland Marriott City Center

Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed at the Marriott Oakland City Center for two nights while on business, but I took my wife with me.

First off, let me say the location was fantastic, right on Broadway in Oakland, convenient to the interstate, waterfront, and downtown. Many shops, coffee houses, and restaurants nearby

The hotel was splendid, recently renovated, nice accommodations, clean, and modern. Even though my wife and I were in a corner room which was a little oddly-shaped, it still was roomy and comfortable.

Service was decent, didn't really see much hotel staff around save for the valets. The price of the room was great--the valet parking a little high. There wasn't a business center--per se, just a workspace and pay-for computer with really slow internet. The wireless service was nice, but of course, I wish it were free.

Overall, though, a fantastic stay in Oakland

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for acknowledging our fantastic location! Yes, we are centrally located in the heart of downtown Oakland. Did you know there are more than 30 restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? We await the opportunity to welcome you back should you travels bring you to the Bay Area.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

This hotel is just off the 12th street BART station so, it is a convenient location if you are staying in downtown Oakland. The positive: the service-front desk, housekeeping, restaurant staff--all go out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. Since I appreciate good customer service, that means a lot to me. The room itself was small, really small, but very clean. The bed was comfortable although not as firm as I like but the mattress appeared new (I always do a thorough bedbug inspection so I see the mattress). I could hear considerable noise from both the hall and the room adjoining mine. The fitness center was adequate--not a lot of equipment but average for most hotels and very clean. Annoyances included the following--guests have to pay for internet ($10.00 daily), TV stations are very limited if you don't pay extra and, the restaurant's food was fairly tasteless, with a very limited menu and pricy for the quality of the food. With so many restaurants within walking distance, I was surprised by the quality of the food and the price. Overall, were it a budget hotel, I would have been satisfied however, I think I could have gotten more for my money elsewhere. Although not a "bad" experience, I would look around before booking there again.

1  Thank grover1959

Thank you for choosing the Oakland Marriott City Center during your stay here in Oakland. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the customer service provided by our hotel staff. In addition to the in-room high speed internet for a fee, we also provide complimentary wireless internet in our public areas. I am confident we will exceed your expectations next time you return to Oakland.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Checking in with a family of four, the desk clerk tried to get us to take a room with 1 queen bed. After some discussion, she put us in a room with 2 dbl beds. The room was clean and moderately sized. Bathroom was nicely stocked. Housekeeping staff were the stars of the stay. Although we never met them, they stocked the room with plentiful towels, soaps, shampoos and coffee. Nobody ever answered the room service phone and when I went downstairs to order from the restaurant, it took some time to find someone to take a "to go" order. It took nearly an hour for them to prepare a pizza a salad and some wings. The food was quite good though. For the 2 daily complimentary breakfasts, it took lengthy phone call between the host staff and the front desk to figure out if we were eligible. Of course when the bill came, we were charged full price. When I questioned our server, he apologized and told me that he would take care of the whole thing. He did--comped the entire meal for all 4 of us. The package we booked was also supposed to get free wi-fi, but when we tried to log into it, it said there would be a $9.95 daily charge. I called the front desk to ask why it showed a $10/day charge and was told, "It's not $10....it's $9.95!" After more discussion, she instructed me to accept the charges and that it would be removed from my bill. I really had my doubts, but it worked out. The hotel is conveniently located near BART which provided quick and easy access to SF. We tool the ferry back from Pier 41 to Jack London Square and walked back to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for recognizing our excellent housekeeping staff! They do a wonderful job behind the scenes keeping our hotel looking its very best. I am sorry you faced some difficulties regarding the transactions for the free breakfast and complimentary internet included in one of our weekend getaway packages that you had booked. We have many weekend packages that include different perks for our guests, and there must have been some confusion as to which one you had booked. If you stay with us again, I would recommend booking one of our excellent packages that include two BART tickets to San Francisco and breakfast for two.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I truly HATE having to write such bad reviews, but in some situations it’s vastly warranted--and unfortunately, I had just such an experience recently at the Marriott Oakland City Center.

I had made reservations for my complimentary stay months in advance and had received confirmation in writing. The day I arrived at check-in, the clerk was perfunctory; nearly sullen. No smiles, no “welcome to the Marriott”, no “I hope you enjoy your stay”. I told her that I was using a complimentary certificate for the stay and gave her same. That night when I received the statement, it showed I was being charged in full for both the room and parking. Early the next morning I phoned “customer relations” and they simply said they’d refer the matter to the Front Desk and someone would call me back. No hint of an apology. 2-1/2 hrs. later I was ready to check out and still no phone call. I went down to the lobby and again explained the problem. Sandy, the person at the Front Desk said that there was no info. about any comp stay and actually asked me where the certificate was. I again had to tell her that the person who checked me in was given the certificate per the instructions on the certificate that it needed to be surrendered at the time of check-in! She said the manager would “have to research it” and asked me to wait.... and wait... and wait. She later came out to say that nothing could be found--but then upon looking once again at the computer files, she said “oh--there’s a reference to a complimentary stay”. Incredibly she then went on to say that they would credit the charge “for now” but would re-charge me if they couldn’t find the certificate that they had lost. Sandy then promised to phone me before 2:30pm that same day. The parking valet took close to half an hour to bring up our car even tho’ I had phoned in advance. I received no phone call from Sandy. At least the Marriott Oakland City Center is consistent and predictable in their “service”. I’m now anticipating having to dispute the charges with my credit card company--a very unhappy thought.

Our room itself was not bad--and the one thing that the Marriott did honor was my request for a room on a high floor. There was a great view out to the Bay Bridge and the San Francisco skyline from the 20th floor. The room was a typical business layout: not overly spacious but adequate with desk area and small bath. At first blush the room appeared to be tidy and clean, but I later discovered a used glass with liquid still in it on the floor and a stained shower curtain. The shower itself was nice and had good pressure and temperature levels. The king bed seemed too soft, but the next morning, my back wasn’t sore, indicating that the mattress was in good shape. The coffee maker dispensed single paper cup servings and housekeeping had left exactly ONE single serving regular coffee pack altho’ there were 2 of us. The coffee turned out to be insipid in addition to being rationed. Breakfast in their restaurant was not very good, and pricey for the low quality. The one saving grace was an enthusiastic and friendly server who we enjoyed talking with.

I was/am surprised at the abysmal level of “service” at Marriott Oakland City Center. I stayed at the Marriott in Brooklyn and received absolutely stellar service. The difference in location and dates resulted in such disparate experiences. The proficiency, care and concern of local management and staff makes all the difference in the world.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Forestvillian

I am very sorry to hear you had such a negative experience during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the service failures you experienced. I would like to assure you that your experience is not typical, and we will use your feedback for training purposes. We pride ourselves on customer service and want to ensure this does not occur in the future. It would be great to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you give us the chance to redeem ourselves.