“FIVE Star Food”

Cuisines: French, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

This place has the basic ingredient for the very best restaurants everywhere--one spouse up front and the other running the kitchen. There are only eight tables and only one server and one cook.
Asian fusion.
Seamless excellence.

1  Thank lolasstephen

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have introduced many friends to this tiny, dependable, quiet, restaurant where one is always welcomed with delicious, pretty dishes served by gracious Ninna. Today I will return for lunch with a friend, hoping our favorite table will be available.
For healthful food in an unhurried setting and at a reasonable price, Ninna's is a good choice. There are many other restaurants nearby on Piedmont Avenue. Once you try this one, though, you might find yourself returning again and again. For perhaps a dozen years now, I have!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Tiny place at Piedmont and 40th delivers a spectacular fusion of Thai and French cooking. Ninna runs the front of the house, and her husband (former head chef at La Borgogne and gold medal winner) is in the kitchen.

Known mostly to locals, Ninna became more famous after an episode of Check Please. Fabulous combinations - try the Chicken Curry at lunchtime - try the braised ribs in the evening - different specials every night including very delicate and flavorful soups. And all at a very reasonable price. Service can slow down a little when the place gets crowded but just relax, enjoy the very affordable wine list, and savor each mouthfull.

We live in the neighborhood and generally plan on being there at least once a week. If you are a foodie, you cannont miss a visit to Ninna.

2  Thank Ray94903
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I almost hate to let people know what a jewel Ninna's is because it is also private, quiet, and welcoming. My husband and I eat there often. We are aprticularly fond of the duck and the simple cookies seerved with wonderful coffee. There are other wonders. Go, Enjoy, Linger.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Many years ago my sister, an Oakland resident, took me to Ninna's. Return visits to this warm, intimate place and Ninna's superb cuisine, are a Must whenever I'm in Oakland. Each guest is greeted personally, and the welcoming smiles are genuine. The white linen and carefully selected crockery and table accoutrements are elegant indicators of the quality dining experience you are about to enjoy. Relax, sink into a glass of wine from Ninna's limited but excellent list. You will want to savour this meal (if you typically consult your watch impatiently between courses., don't go to Ninna's). I have had six different entrees here; ALL have been superb. Sauces are especially unique--exotic fusions of sweet and pungent, citric and spicy. I pride myself on my own culinary abilities, but I have no idea how Ninna puts together her extraordinary melds of spices that are normally not even on the same shelf, never mind married in a sauce!

At the end of the meal, superb, rich coffee and the postre ultimo--the best tiramisu I have ever had in my life.

In addition to all of these wonders, the price is moderate and worth every penny. My only mild criticism is that Ninna's is very small, but I hope they never move: the change might do something adverse to this fine dining experience.

Been to Ninna Restaurant? Share your experiences!