“Ninna - best kept secret on Piedmont Ave” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Thai, French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“Ninna - best kept secret on Piedmont Ave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Tiny place at Piedmont and 40th delivers a spectacular fusion of Thai and French cooking. Ninna runs the front of the house, and her husband (former head chef at La Borgogne and gold medal winner) is in the kitchen.

Known mostly to locals, Ninna became more famous after an episode of Check Please. Fabulous combinations - try the Chicken Curry at lunchtime - try the braised ribs in the evening - different specials every night including very delicate and flavorful soups. And all at a very reasonable price. Service can slow down a little when the place gets crowded but just relax, enjoy the very affordable wine list, and savor each mouthfull.

We live in the neighborhood and generally plan on being there at least once a week. If you are a foodie, you cannont miss a visit to Ninna.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Ray94903

Oakland, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thai-French Fusion ... that does both cuisines justice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I almost hate to let people know what a jewel Ninna's is because it is also private, quiet, and welcoming. My husband and I eat there often. We are aprticularly fond of the duck and the simple cookies seerved with wonderful coffee. There are other wonders. Go, Enjoy, Linger.

• Visited May 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“DELICATE FLAVOURS TO DIE FOR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Many years ago my sister, an Oakland resident, took me to Ninna's. Return visits to this warm, intimate place and Ninna's superb cuisine, are a Must whenever I'm in Oakland. Each guest is greeted personally, and the welcoming smiles are genuine. The white linen and carefully selected crockery and table accoutrements are elegant indicators of the quality dining experience you are about to enjoy. Relax, sink into a glass of wine from Ninna's limited but excellent list. You will want to savour this meal (if you typically consult your watch impatiently between courses., don't go to Ninna's). I have had six different entrees here; ALL have been superb. Sauces are especially unique--exotic fusions of sweet and pungent, citric and spicy. I pride myself on my own culinary abilities, but I have no idea how Ninna puts together her extraordinary melds of spices that are normally not even on the same shelf, never mind married in a sauce!

At the end of the meal, superb, rich coffee and the postre ultimo--the best tiramisu I have ever had in my life.

In addition to all of these wonders, the price is moderate and worth every penny. My only mild criticism is that Ninna's is very small, but I hope they never move: the change might do something adverse to this fine dining experience.

• Visited July 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars
california
“Ninna's makes a fine pick for sedate dining on Piedmont Avenue.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have dined again and again at Ninna's. If you like a quiet, intimate atmosphere, white tablecloths on small tables, simplicity, you will be comfortable here. Ninna's offers a menu of Thai and Western fusion. Dishes are tasty, pretty, moderately priced. Think of Ninna's as a place for lunch or dinner when you are not in a hurry. Customers tend to linger -- and to return.

1 Thank amrCalifornia
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“We had our friend's B-day dinner in Ninna. This is the first time I was there. The nice cozy restaurant has given me a...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

We had our friend's B-day dinner in Ninna. This is the first time I was there. The nice cozy restaurant has given me a good impression. Great taste and the portion is reasonable for the price you paid.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Ninna Restaurant? Share your experiences!