“Hope to Return”

Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive about booking here after reading some of the reviews but the reviews were so mixed that I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad I did.
I am still confused about some of the room reviews. Perhaps there are rooms that have not been upgraded. Ours was exactly as it was advertised if not better. It was comfortable, modern, clean, and large, and the balcony overlooking the marina was so relaxing we didn't want to leave. (A few times during the remainder of our trip we commented that we wished we were back on that balcony).
The staff was as friendly and helpful as we have encountered anywhere. They totally went out of their way for their guests.
The location was perfect for us, convenient for driving to other locations and for walking along the water, and it is in very close proximity to a variety of restaurants. It is also steps away from the ferry to San Francisco.
It seems the biggest complaints from other reviewers were the sounds of the trains. We did not find that a problem - in fact, quite the opposite. They were not loud. They never woke my husband and I found them quite comforting, almost like going back in time. The horn blast from the early morning ferry is what jolted me out of bed but even that was part of the charm. It was like a wake up call to go out on the balcony and watch that part of the city come alive for the day.
This was a charming place that we hope to have the opportunity to revisit someday.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2011

My late night flight was delayed out of SFO and in a switch I could fly out the next am from Sacramento, so stayed at this hotel last minute with no luggage.

Kooky vending machine in the lobby supplied my overnight toiletries, but clean room, quite location, friendly staff and delicious breakfast (in the adjoining waterfront restaurant) supplied the rest.

I never hesitate to stay at a Joie de Vivre managed hotel, and this is no exception.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I mainly chose this hotel due to parking issues, as it's so expensive in SF. Also, the ferry to SF is just a few steps away. It stops early so the metro is then available for transportation from SF. The room may have been a little outdated but was clean and the largest room I've ever stayed in, even a suite. The employees were friendly and helpful. We were greeted with Dipped Strawberries and Champagne after our night on the town. The metro was an experience, but strictly due to our lack of understanding of which station to depart. I will say that you will not want to venture far at night away from the hotel due to reviews that I've previously read.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We were part of a small group booked for two nights. My mother added me with an additional room at check in for those nights. Two days later when we were ready to check out on a tight timeline, I awoke to several messages from obviously someone at front desk who did not get the reservation right, nearly doubled our negotiated rate, and tacked on another surcharge on my mother's bill. After a half hour at the front desk i was told I would receive a copy of bill to my email. It still hasn't come. That was two days ago. The fireplace in the clean room was nice, but with the staff intrusions, it put a huge damper on my experience.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a very nice hotel with beautiful views of the harbor, yachts, sculling groups, birds and sunsets. The room was large with a gas fireplace and two windows overlooking the harbor. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They even brought us cookies and milk. They gave us a small bottle of wine upon arrival. We missed the wine and cheese in the lobby, but we won't miss it next time. The pool area was very nice and we look forward to coming back in warmer weather. It is very near the ferry dock and we plan on going into SF on the ferry the next time we are in town.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My boyfriends son is the new lead guitarist for the soul group that was performing in Oakland after Christmas. We had tickets for the Tuesday night performance and had planned on driving back home to Santa Clara afterward. His son and daughter-in-law were staying at the Waterford Hotel, Oakland and at the last minute I decided to see if we could get a room for the night. We not only were able to get a room, it was a fantastic room with a balcony which looked out over the private marina, free continental breakfast, free valet parking all for a fantastic price. Since it was a last minute decision to stay overnight, we had no clothes let alone toiletries. With a simple call to the front desk everything we needed was provided. The desk staff was very friendly and willing to help make our stay as comfortable as possible, which they did with flying colors. At the on-site restaurant staff was very friendly and the food was wonderful.
We will definitely stay there again and highly recommend it anyone.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I chose this hotel because of it's central location in Oakland and seemingly good hotel facilities. The carpeting and wallpaper was very dated, ice machines were out of order, the sauna (a major perk) was not working and had no lights. The place seemed more run down. I did appreciate the coffee in the lobby and staff was very nice. But the bathrooms were dated and many facilities seemed to be in disrepair. I did love walking along the water and Jack London Square. Not sure if there's better in the area, either.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business