“Fine for a weekend”

Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Overall, I'm happy that I booked this hotel - I enjoyed taking the ferry to & from San Francisco in the sunshine, but the impression that I somehow got when booking was that Jack London Square was a cool place to hang out in the evenings. This turned out not to be the case. When I arrived at 10pm on a Friday, it was pretty dead. There was nothing much going on. I had dinner at the hotel (the risotto I ordered was too salty to be edible, but they switched it for a great pizza and gave me a free dessert) & enjoyed the jazz band playing in the bar. On Sunday, I had a great brunch overlooking the water, but I was really expecting the Square to be buzzing, rather than so empty on a weekend.

Worth noting that the last ferry back was at 6:30pm on Saturday & Sunday nights.

The room was nice, but the (empty) fridge in the room was either silent or incredibly loud - I'm not a light sleeper but it kept waking me up as it started up each time. I ended up unplugging it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I chose the Waterfront because it is a Joie de Vivre property, and my experiences with Joie de Vivre have been great so far. The staff was great. The lobby was warm and welcoming, plus the location with the Sunday farmers' market was great. Our room was quiet, large, clean, and comfortable. The reason I'm giving it three stars is because there was a certain degree of unfinished shabbiness about the place which made it feel a bit ho hum. There were lose ceiling tiles outside the bathroom. The bathroom paint job seemed unfinished, and, I know it sounds petty, but the closet looked as if it had been forgotten halfway through renovations (the placement of the closet near the bed made it a bit more prominent than the usual closet which is the only reason I even mention the closet). I don't know if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room with a bay view. I heard other guests say their rooms were noisy, but ours was very q...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The staff at this hotel is wonderful, extremely friendly and outgoing. They even called a few hours after my check-in to make sure everything was okay and I hadn't forgotten anything at home and to remind me the free wine and cheese hour had started.

I travel on business 2 weeks of every month so I stay in a lot of hotels and I'm used to hearing some noise from rooms around me. At this hotel, I could hear every single word being said in the next room. It sounded like they were having a party. And the icing on the cake was the barking dog! As a business traveler I am up early in the morning for meetings and I am usually in bed by 9:30 or 10 at night. At 10 the night I was here the party was still going strong next door. I called the front desk 3 times between 9:30 and about 10:45. My frustration was getting the best of me. As a result, I will not be staying here again. I come to Oakland on a regular basis and as a business traveler I need to stay somewhere that actually does something about noise complaints.

The interior of the room was okay, the bathroom needs major work but the bed was comfortable and I had a nice view.

Room Tip: try not to stay in the main building, it's very noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I would probably rate it higher if it were not a Joie de Vivre property. I have to take off because the hotel is pretty dated and not as luxurious as other properties I've visited. The location was very good if you're looking for something relaxing and beautiful views. Not so much if you're looking for night life, shopping or the more touristy stuff. It's about a 15 minute walk to BART. There's a shuttle that runs during limited hours. It's also pretty close to an AC Transit stop and right next to the ferry that takes you to SF.

The hotel is very pricey for what you get. Double the price of the other hotels in Jack London Square. It is the nicest of the 3 though. The room was comfortable and had a great view of the marina. I was surprised that I did not hear the trains at all.

The lobby was very nice and comfortable. I actually spent time down there just relaxing and enjoying the ambience. Which I don't normally do. There is a nightly wine and cheese reception. I went once but it wasn't well attended. Mostly people grabbing a glass of wine and some snacks and taking them back to their room.

The staff was professional and friendly for the most part. The only exception being the person that checked me in. Since i'm a Joie de Vivre member I'm supposed to get an automatic upgrade if a better room is avaible. He didn't give this to me and then acted put out when I asked for it. He mumbled that I should have asked before he had already assigned me a different room.

The other odd thing was the shuttle. It has a capacity of certain number of people. It's first come, first serve. When you go down the concierge puts your name on a list. So you think ok I'm on the list I'm good.

Once the shuttle shows up he yells that the shuttle is first come, first serve and only seats a limited number of people so once it's full you'll have to wait for the next one. So everyone rushes forward to try and get a seat and it gets a bit ugly. It turns out there are enough seats for everyone so I'm not sure why the concierge created drama by leading people to believe there wouldn't be enough room. Or why there's a list if we have to fight for a seat.

Finally, the maintenance staff was excellent. I had two issues with my room. They came up quickly and fixed it right away. I would definitely stay again but would try and plan far in advance to take advantage of the discounts that are available from time to time.

Room Tip: Ask for the marina side and the ones with minimum noise from the trains.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. The location is easy access on and off freeway yet the setting is a quiet waterfront plaza. Even the container shipyard next door was relatively quiet. The staff and valets were friendly and helpful and the balcony view was nice as the sun went down. Several fine restaurants and bars within walking distance which is ideal when you're tired of being on the road. Ideal hotel if you're attending a show at Yoshi's - only a block away. The only down side was paying twenty-five bills for mandatory valet parking when I parked the car myself and handed the keys to the valet as I walked into the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A little pricey ( $250) but they doing good job .Staff were all excellent,from check to restaurant staff . We got two very different rooms corner suite which was excellent tho shared deck doesn't work . ( with 4 others)
Other room 572 not facing bay / parking lot longest room ever stayed in must be 40 feet alittle werid .hotel recently been renovated,not greatest rehab but felt clean.
Staff made it front desk helpful,doormen alittle stressed but kept smiling
But restaurant staff made stay. I work in hotel business and rarely eat in hotel restaurant ..almost never. Had breakfast first day and boy staff members were very on it! Ordered very simple egg order because they couldn't mess it up ,right? After all basically very scaled down coffee counter instead full service restaurant ..but surprise another guy appears very quickly and it was great! My adult kids came later got blueberry pancakes and again great service and was outstanding ..
After day apartment hunting for kids ,we returned but I was afraid so we went next door and had dinner at Scott's ( it's small Bay Area chain high end seafood) and it was as good as I remembered in SF years ago. Rockefeller oysters ,spinach salad ,halibut all exceptional ,one drink apiece ,3 courses no dessert ,three of us $200 and tip ,but excellent would def go back.
Next am another great breakfast same staff great egg sandwich,oatmeal done perfect same great staff,okay we decide break rule and eat dinner in hotel restaurant .Again waitress was super friendly my young ones Vegan
She went over entire menu ravoli was as good anywhere all made on site ,great view of harbor lots heaters ,magical and we 5 blocks downtown Oakland?
Felt safe walking around ,jack London sq clearly workin progress ( for thirty yrs) a lot empty storefronts ,but great little farmers market greeted us Sunday ..hopefully more folks will take chance.but Waterford hotel good choice if staying East Bay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was and enjoyable stay in a picturesque location. The hotel property was older, but in great condition. The lobby was pleasant with a beautiful fireplace and high quality coffee and teas available on a complementary basis. The guest room was clean and comfortable with a great view of the harbor. The bed was great, but the pillows a bit on the hard side. The best feature of this hotel was the fantastic service provided by the staff. When we arrived we were welcomed aboard by the as we dropped our car off for valet parking. I was surprised and delighted when several hours later the parking greeted addressed me by name. The whole staff had the same attitude.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business