“Great rooms, service, affordable and ATT ferry too!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
California
“Great rooms, service, affordable and ATT ferry too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family had tickets to a SF Giants game and looked for lodging in San Francisco. That weekend there was some kind of big outdoor event in San Fran so we started looking across the Bay. We discovered The Waterfront hotel in Oakland and it will be our go-to spot when we're headed to the Giants game - and for any trip to the Bay Area. It's right on the Jack London Square harbor, the rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is uniformly friendly and helpful, and they have a Giants package which comes with two ferry tickets to ATT Park from the dock just beside the hotel. The restaurant and bar are very good and they had a free wine and cheese hour the night we were there.

Room Tip: The harbor view rooms are more expensive but our city view room was just fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chat89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My returns to the Bay Area are inevitably joie-ful when I plan my stay at the Waterfront Hotel.

What diferentiates this place is both the superb location by the estuary and the high-level attention to customer service. I'm close to everything I need and want: convenience and proximity to both downtown Oakland and its environs and to San Francisco. I can catch the ferry just a few steps away and cross the Bay or I can make my way via BART. I love, at the end of the day, sitting on a bench by the water, watching the gulls and pigeons (carefully!) and tracking the incoming and outgoing sea traffic, from sails to containerized ships. Romance, history, colorful personalities. Restaurants abound, and the Waterfront has a new restaurant, Lungomare, that's tops for food and service.

It's a great buy by the Bay!

Room Tip: Ask for bay side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

After checking out I left my check books and jewelry for my upcoming anniversary in the hotel room safe. The staff, lead by Jan, contacted me immediately and made arrangements for overnight shipment. Everything arrived exactly as I put it into the safe. I am most grateful! From the Ritz in Paris to the Peninsula in Hong Kong I have never received more caring service than at the Waterfront! Five stars in not enough!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a nice one-night stay in a big corner room on the top floor, overlooking the pool and waterfront. The hotel is right next to Jack London Square, which has a few restaurants and bars and is hopping when there is an event there. (When there's nothing going on, it seems pretty dead!) The hotel has a fun nautical theme and a nice pool, and our room was really spacious. We ate breakfast at the café, which serves great coffee drinks and a limited selection of egg dishes, oatmeal, sandwiches, etc. The staff were super friendly, valet parking a breeze, and the hotel is just blocks from the freeway, but the room we had on the water side was peaceful. The views aren't spectacular (it's a busy industrial waterfront in one direction) but it's great considering you're in a big city. We took a boat cruise from Alameda, which was a quick 5-minute drive from the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the water side for a quiet night of sleep.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hillsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed the location right on Jack London Square. We had a room which had a view of the marina and the Square. Comfortable and quiet room, valet parking with a fee, complimentary wine and cheese from 5:00 - 6:00. One night we had heavy footed neighbors above us. The hotel staff was very pleasant and changed our room upgrading us to the marina view with balcony. The hotel is walking distance to several very good restaurants on Jack London Square and it is also near the USS Potomac.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I travel to the Bay area once a month for business meetings in the Embarcadero area of SF. I love staying at the Waterfront and commuting over on the ferry in the morning and back in the evening. The ferry is right next to the hotel so you also get a SF Bay "tour". The rooms are so pleasant and the beds are great...I sleep like a baby. I am so pleased with the new restaurant Lungomare, where I have had several great meals. I meet friends here after work for dinner or drinks. It is a great improvement over the old Miss Pearl's.
This is a Joie de Vivre hotel so I recommend joining the Joy of Life Club frequent guest program if you travel often on the west Coast....very nice perks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed two nights as part of a baseball trip. The Waterfront is a nice, clean, nautical-themed hotel in the heart of Jack London Square. The spaces are quirky and non-corporate feeling. The staff is courteous and helpful. The hotel provides a shuttle service and was happy to call for a car or cab when the shuttle wasn't running. The surrounding environs provide a wealth of restaurants. Forge Pizza was particularly good. A small local brewery--Linden Street--is also within walking distance and well worth a visit. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends