Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$189
$159
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites(Oakland)(Great Value!)
$169
$160
$169
ClarionHotels
  • Restaurant
$127
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites(Oakland)(Great Value!)
$136
$124
Travelocity
$179
1,042 results
All reviewsjack london squarenautical themethe penthousesan franciscoferry dockwine and cheesetrain noisefarmers marketjazz clubmovie theaterrestaurants and barslight sleepercity viewbusiness tripwater viewamtrak stationthe east bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Waterfront Hotel on Jack London Square in Oakland. I came for wedding and had a large comfortable room for a good rate. I did have a problem with the first night, when my room was a connected double, and there was a thin door between the connected room and my room, which let me hear everything going on in the room next door. Also, after housekeeping came the next day, they left open the door between the two rooms! But the hotel handled my complaint well, moving me to a better room without a fuss.

The hotel has a nice little wine & cheese hour, complimentary, at 5pm, and a pretty little pool which is just big enough for lap swimming.

However, much as I liked the hotel itself and thought the desk clerks were friendly and helpful, I would not stay here again. The waterfront area is in the middle of a big redevelopment -- it used to be a seedy area with strip clubs and empty buildings. Now there are new apartment buildings and some pretty waterfront restaurants...but there isn't a grocery store or a drug store within 10 blocks. I had to walk all the way to the Oakland city center, about 12 blocks, to get some normal drugstore things at a Walgreens. There was a tiny gift shop near the hotel but it was out of the essentials I needed. And the free shuttle bus that runs up Broadway during the week does not start running until the evening on Saturdays. This was VERY inconvenient. I suppose that more development is coming, and once the area gets filled in a bit more, then the shuttle bus will start running on weekends during the day. But until then, I would advise staying in a part of Oakland or Berkeley that has more services and is easier to get around on weekends.

Room Tip: If you can get a waterfront room with a balcony without paying too much more than for a city-side room, go for it. Suggestion to the hotel: The chairs on the balconies are not very comfortable! Next time you redecorate, keep that in mind!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dcbird
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here for the second time as I was passing through the area. The Waterfront is well located, with several very nice dining choices in the area. Had a bit of a snafu with the door card, but they eventually worked it out. Maybe it's the foam earplugs I use when sleeping, but the nearby Amtrak train has never bothered me here.

Staff still friendly and helpful. Free WiFi in the rooms, and free access to a printer in the lobby for airline check-in.

One big plus - the ferry to SF is a 60 second walk from the hotel, which means you can walk out of your room and be on Pier 41 (Fisherman's Wharf & Pier 39 area) in about 30 minutes for just a few dollars. It's worth the ferry trip just to see the SF skyline from the water & the Bay Bridge lights at night.

Room Tip: The water view rooms are nicer, but may not be worth the extra $ if you're just there for a night or two
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Was here for 2 days, we were a group of 7 in Oakland for a few days, hotel is well located and felt safe, but from the time we arrived none of the door cards worked. The hotel front desk staff gave us static and finally got out special door cards that worked -- but this was after we yelled at the staff to fix the problem -- they don't care. Any would stay there again even if the location is great. So maybe by now they have fixed the problem, so you can't say you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just completed a week-long stay at this lovely hotel. The location can't be beat. Right on the marina, steps from the ferry and wonderful restaurants. On Sundays you can enjoy the Farmer's Market right outside your door.
The hotel is undergoing a bit of a renovation. New carpets are being installed and we were told they also had plans on replacing the draperies in the rooms. Our room was immaculate - I recommend a marina view, preferably with a deck. The front desk personnel were very accommodating and helpful. We used the $25/day valet parking (required) and never had to wait long for our vehicle.
The wine & cheese hour was nice, but a bit sparse on the offerings. The outdoor salt water pool was heated. Lovely.
Although there are many, many pros to staying at this hotel, there is one con for light sleepers. Trains (with blaring horns) run all day long just a block from this hotel. The first couple of nights were rough, but by the end of our week stay, we were getting used to the noise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KPBTC
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Please you must read this before staying.

The hotel is right next to a railway line with trains running day and night about every twenty mins. They have to sound their horns constantly so you will get no sleep. We changed hotels after one night. I will try and attached a video so you can listen to how loud this noise is, trust me its loud in your room especially as there is no sound proofing.

Next EXPEDIA who we book through told us this hotel is in sanfrancisco it is not! It is in Oakland which is a 20 min drive and 80 -100 dollar cost from the airport SFO by taxi. We won't trust Expedia again.

The walls are very thin and you can hear the conversation from the room next door.

We were given a bay view room which had a very restricted view of a tiny bit of the bay if you lent out of the balcony and a good view of the container port and industrial area in which the hotel is situated.

In fairness the hotel staff were very nice I get the feeling they are used to people complaining. They were quite happy to refund our remaining nights and we are now trying to take up the terrible nights stay with EXPEDIA . The hotel did offer us another room which was said to be quieter but it smelt very musty and damp. The hotel itself downstairs in the public rooms seem quite nice but we left after one night and I would strongly advise you not to stay here. Look out for the video I posted on here it shows our view of the bay ...ish and you can hear but not see the very loud train.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple