“Door cards don't work”

Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Was here for 2 days, we were a group of 7 in Oakland for a few days, hotel is well located and felt safe, but from the time we arrived none of the door cards worked. The hotel front desk staff gave us static and finally got out special door cards that worked -- but this was after we yelled at the staff to fix the problem -- they don't care. Any would stay there again even if the location is great. So maybe by now they have fixed the problem, so you can't say you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just completed a week-long stay at this lovely hotel. The location can't be beat. Right on the marina, steps from the ferry and wonderful restaurants. On Sundays you can enjoy the Farmer's Market right outside your door.
The hotel is undergoing a bit of a renovation. New carpets are being installed and we were told they also had plans on replacing the draperies in the rooms. Our room was immaculate - I recommend a marina view, preferably with a deck. The front desk personnel were very accommodating and helpful. We used the $25/day valet parking (required) and never had to wait long for our vehicle.
The wine & cheese hour was nice, but a bit sparse on the offerings. The outdoor salt water pool was heated. Lovely.
Although there are many, many pros to staying at this hotel, there is one con for light sleepers. Trains (with blaring horns) run all day long just a block from this hotel. The first couple of nights were rough, but by the end of our week stay, we were getting used to the noise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KPBTC
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Please you must read this before staying.

The hotel is right next to a railway line with trains running day and night about every twenty mins. They have to sound their horns constantly so you will get no sleep. We changed hotels after one night. I will try and attached a video so you can listen to how loud this noise is, trust me its loud in your room especially as there is no sound proofing.

Next EXPEDIA who we book through told us this hotel is in sanfrancisco it is not! It is in Oakland which is a 20 min drive and 80 -100 dollar cost from the airport SFO by taxi. We won't trust Expedia again.

The walls are very thin and you can hear the conversation from the room next door.

We were given a bay view room which had a very restricted view of a tiny bit of the bay if you lent out of the balcony and a good view of the container port and industrial area in which the hotel is situated.

In fairness the hotel staff were very nice I get the feeling they are used to people complaining. They were quite happy to refund our remaining nights and we are now trying to take up the terrible nights stay with EXPEDIA . The hotel did offer us another room which was said to be quieter but it smelt very musty and damp. The hotel itself downstairs in the public rooms seem quite nice but we left after one night and I would strongly advise you not to stay here. Look out for the video I posted on here it shows our view of the bay ...ish and you can hear but not see the very loud train.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JohnSunderlandUk
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days, and they were absolutely terrific. The room overlooked the bay which was beautiful to view in the evening. Got the ferry to San Francisco right outside the hotel which was so great. We were greeted by a wonderful young man who took care of our bags and car, and was so pleasant and helpful. The area around the hotel was nice but walking into town frankly was a little unsettling for us, although no issues, just did not feel comfortable. Would not walk downtown in the evening. But that is not the hotel so back to that. We had a lovely deck and were in a corner room. Bed was comfortable and with the exception of the coffee maker which really needed to be cleaned, the room was spotless. I want to thank them for making our stay so pleasant. The staff was kind and very helpful to two older folks from out of town and I thank them very much for going out of their way on some things. Would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The front desk staff were so helpful and accommodating. I had accidentally made my reservations for the wrong weekend and they not only worked with me to make a room available, they actually upgraded my room.
They are fabulous!

Room Tip: The bay front rooms are great!
2  Thank Phyllis S
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I want to thank the Waterfront Hotel for their exceptional hospitality during my stay there two weeks ago. I highly recommend this Hotel for your stay in the Oakland/East Bay. The staff are very helpful, the view of the waterfront is beautiful and so are the rooms. I had a wonderful Salmon dinner at the restaurant next door and they gave us a freee bottle of their wine. I had great time there at the Waterfront Hotel and I know you will too!

Room Tip: the rooms facing the water are the best.
1  Thank Jorge S
Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you are a fan of the waterfront, views of sailboats, walking distance to several fine dining establishments, and a ferry to San Francisco the Waterfront Hotel is your only choice. Their staff is top notch... always greeted me with a smile and my name.