“Must read before staying” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Must read before staying”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Please you must read this before staying.

The hotel is right next to a railway line with trains running day and night about every twenty mins. They have to sound their horns constantly so you will get no sleep. We changed hotels after one night. I will try and attached a video so you can listen to how loud this noise is, trust me its loud in your room especially as there is no sound proofing.

Next EXPEDIA who we book through told us this hotel is in sanfrancisco it is not! It is in Oakland which is a 20 min drive and 80 -100 dollar cost from the airport SFO by taxi. We won't trust Expedia again.

The walls are very thin and you can hear the conversation from the room next door.

We were given a bay view room which had a very restricted view of a tiny bit of the bay if you lent out of the balcony and a good view of the container port and industrial area in which the hotel is situated.

In fairness the hotel staff were very nice I get the feeling they are used to people complaining. They were quite happy to refund our remaining nights and we are now trying to take up the terrible nights stay with EXPEDIA . The hotel did offer us another room which was said to be quieter but it smelt very musty and damp. The hotel itself downstairs in the public rooms seem quite nice but we left after one night and I would strongly advise you not to stay here. Look out for the video I posted on here it shows our view of the bay ...ish and you can hear but not see the very loud train.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JohnSunderlandUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days, and they were absolutely terrific. The room overlooked the bay which was beautiful to view in the evening. Got the ferry to San Francisco right outside the hotel which was so great. We were greeted by a wonderful young man who took care of our bags and car, and was so pleasant and helpful. The area around the hotel was nice but walking into town frankly was a little unsettling for us, although no issues, just did not feel comfortable. Would not walk downtown in the evening. But that is not the hotel so back to that. We had a lovely deck and were in a corner room. Bed was comfortable and with the exception of the coffee maker which really needed to be cleaned, the room was spotless. I want to thank them for making our stay so pleasant. The staff was kind and very helpful to two older folks from out of town and I thank them very much for going out of their way on some things. Would go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The front desk staff were so helpful and accommodating. I had accidentally made my reservations for the wrong weekend and they not only worked with me to make a room available, they actually upgraded my room.
They are fabulous!

Room Tip: The bay front rooms are great!
2 Thank Phyllis S
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I want to thank the Waterfront Hotel for their exceptional hospitality during my stay there two weeks ago. I highly recommend this Hotel for your stay in the Oakland/East Bay. The staff are very helpful, the view of the waterfront is beautiful and so are the rooms. I had a wonderful Salmon dinner at the restaurant next door and they gave us a freee bottle of their wine. I had great time there at the Waterfront Hotel and I know you will too!

Room Tip: the rooms facing the water are the best.
1 Thank Jorge S
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you are a fan of the waterfront, views of sailboats, walking distance to several fine dining establishments, and a ferry to San Francisco the Waterfront Hotel is your only choice. Their staff is top notch... always greeted me with a smile and my name.

Santa Rosa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Waterfront Hotel was the perfect place for our group of friends to stay when we went to a show at Yoshi's in Oakland. The check in process was smooth and I received a bottle of wine since I am a Joie De Vivre member (free to be a member). The hotel is directly across the street from Yoshi's. The parking is valet but you can park in the parking garage across the street and get validated at Yoshi's and it is much less expensive. We just checked in and then went and parked. The hotel room was a good rate for being such a nice hotel. The rooms were very clean and we had a large balcony over looking the pool and harbor. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Krisk16
Kings Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Me an some friends stayed here to go to a show at the Fox last month. I had just gotten a new puppy and wasn't comfortable leaving her at home or in a kennel, so I changed my Mariott Reservation to here as they are pet friendly. It was pricey, but the location can't be beat. Also the staff was very helpful and the rooms were nicely furnished. I really enjoyed our balcony that overlooked the pool area/waterfront.

The pool was great! I wish I had more time to spend at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends