“Beware of the train...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Alhambra, California
“Beware of the train...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had to travel to Oakland for a work event, which was being held at the Waterfront Hotel. The hotel was kind of pricy but whatever it was convenient to stay there since my training was being held there. My organization booked my travel and since Oakland is not the safest place in the U.S. I was happy that I didn't have to leave the hotel. With that said, its important that I have room service because of the strict schedule. The hotel staff told me that they had a very limited menu do to a change in restaurant at the hotel. They weren't kidding, the menu was very limited with about 6 items...and for the price of room service it was not good at all. Its hours are limited as well also. I felt kind of sick from the food one night and called down after 9pm to see if they had ginger ale or sprite, and all they had was a vending machine with mountain dew. The guy at the front desk told me that they had water in the lobby, but didn't even offer to bring it up. Whatever...not a big deal because I guess you can walk to other restaurants but again its not that appealing since everything kind of shuts down and well I wasn't about to put myself out there just for a quick bite or a can of soda. The closest restaurants are considered fine dining and if your not in the mood to dress up or on a budget, that might not be convenient for you. I didn't care much about that, but its just annoying having to go out to pick up your food when you have deadlines and schedules to meet. Anyway, they are in the process of expanding that, so that shouldn't be the reason why you don't book here.

They do however, have a good selection of movies that are still playing at theaters, kind of expensive also, but I mean that's what you would probably pay for a movie at a theater. But, their cable kept freezing and I had to call down for someone to come up when I woke up one morning and the cable had gone out. They called an engineer and he fixed it so that the picture would show but it was just weird and would just keep freezing. I gave up on the TV.

Okay so the reason why I probably would not book here again...wait for it....
There is an Amtrak train that goes through Jack London Square, a couple of feet away from the hotel. All night, almost by the hour and the conductor has to honk the horn when it passes intersections which happens to be right next to the hotel. I mean literally next to the hotel! This really sucks...despite how nice the hotel is, that just kills it. When I made suggestions to the staff after I left, the front desk told me that next time I come, ask to be placed in a sound proof room or in an ocean front room. So I guess that's my advice to you...tell them you want a sound proof room or the ocean front room. Either way, I think it sucks for the clients that don't really know how loud that train will be and just opt for a basic room. Because I'm sorry its pretty expensive and having to pay more to have a sound proof or ocean front is not at all convenient or possible. I don't know, next time I have to go up to Oakland for work, I might just skip the ocean view and just go straight to the Marriott for a good night sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a sound proof room or the ocean front rooms to avoid the noise of a train going through your...
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Riverbank
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is good as it's right on the water. There are pretty views of the marina, water and sunsets. The hotel is older...meaning old and loud heat/AC, thinner walls and tired decor in the rooms. The hotel is clean. There are some great eateries around...but limited for safe walking. Parking is valet only- $20 per night - but the retrieval of your car is faster than most places. The Ferry to San Francisco is next to the hotel - so that's nice. The staff is friendly and accommodating If you book a business conference here note that the Regatta rooms are next to a train - and noisy. The conference food is pretty standard and the service good. This place is trying...it's just tired and the area is hit hard by the economy. If you want a room with a bath tub - be sure to ask at booking.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is a little dated, but very clean with new wall paper, carpets, and bedding. The room was good sized. The only parking is Valet parking at a cost of $20.00. The continental breakfast was limited in selection. The coffee was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Tahoe, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I believe this is the first 1 star review I have given.

I checked in on Sunday night, January 20. I got in on a late flight and got into my room at 1:30 am. Got to sleep around 2:00 and got woken up at 3:00 with trains. Got back to sleep and then woken up at 7:35 with construction guys working on the hotel on my back porch. Was stunned they were working so early.

I then opened up the curtains in my "Parlor Suite" (which I thought was very small for the best suite they had) and I stunned to be staring at a guy with his dog looking at me naked. Come to find out, these rooms have a connective balcony on the 2nd floor and anyone can walk into the back of anyone else's room. I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year and have never experienced this.

I got moved the 2nd night to a room with a private back yard and supposedly quiet (from the trains)room. Trains were going by all night long. There are no rooms I would imagine in this hotel that are not affected by the train noise.

All that was a bummer, but to me, one of the most significant issues was the complete lack of integrity in pricing. I stay at Joie de Vivre hotels and I received a 20% off coupon in my email. So, I used this to book a room and on the website, there are various options for rooms, and the most expensive room was "Parlor Suite". I have no problem for paying for better rooms and I booked this room. The first night I thought it was incredibly small for a suite but I was too tired to do anything about it. After being moved the 2nd night, there was no way it was a suite....it was a regular room. I went to the front desk and after about 10 minutes, I was finally told that my room was not a suite but a regular view room. He said that their computer only shows one rate and does not work with costs on the website. He said that yes, he saw that I had booked the parlor suite but gave me another room (at least one downgrade down and maybe 2 downgrades down) but did not reduce the cost. I asked how they could possibly even begin to charge more for a room and not provide the room......complete bait and switch and he said that yes, I was 100% right, he did not mean to deceive me, but the computer did not support some things with the website and it was too difficult to do. So, he credited me $20 for the one night which was not nearly the amount that it cost me to upgrade. He said he would have a manager call me in the morning and they did not.

After one other bad experience last year at a Joie de Vivre hotel, which I used to love, I can pretty much state that I will not be staying at them again.

Too bad.

• 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Mark H
Jemez Springs, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great location, a bit on the old side but lots of charm on the Bay side. My first room was not on the water and was really depressing. Moving to the water side made all the difference. The Jack London area is very nice. But do not go across the tracks. A friend was mugged and it is sketch city there. maybe during the day but not at night. Scotts is a great restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: Get a view of the water and a balcony. Only cost 10$ more.
Venice, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here one night after arriving by Amtrak from Los Angeles. Walking distance from train station. Room was comfortable and staff was friendly. We couldn't get the TV to work, and the heater didn't work work, and it was too late (after midnight) to get assistance. Nice location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Yuba City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a nice hotel for a weekend getaway. The hotel was having a sale so we opted to go with a suite...I wasn't disappointed, but the room didn't meet my expectations either. Their website made it seem like the room would be a lot more luxurious than it was. The furniture was a little dated but still nice. Without getting too lengthy, it was like a standard room with a little more space. I was expecting more since we paid for a suite - I know for next time to just opt for a standard room We had a nice view of the harbor and the square though and the staff was amazing. Everyone was super nice and very friendly. The only compliant I have is that there was a ton of noise from the room above us.I'm not sure if it was a guest room or a conference room, but it sounded like there were elephants running around in the early hours of the morning. That made it a little difficult to sleep in. And as far as parking, it does cost $20, but you can leave your vehicle there for 24 hours. So if you want to take the ferry to San Francisco you can leave your car there and not have to worry about finding another safe place to park. Considering the cost of parking in San Fran, I didn't mind. I would definitely reccomend this hotel and I plan to go back in the near future.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to a suite, the standard rooms are just as nice. And ask for a high floor room so...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple