“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Weymouth, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed two days at the Waterfront Hotel and it was marvelous. The staff was extremely helpful giving suggestions for transportation to San Francisco. The ferry to Fishermens Pier was only a two minute walk from the hotel. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We never heard the trains that others complained about! We did eat at Miss Pearls, the restaurant that is attached to the hotel and enjoyed it tremendously. The food was fantastic! I would definitely stay at the Waterfront Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Nice views, clean comfortable and quiet room. Very courteous staff who provided us with all the information we needed. We had no issues at all here. Very relaxing and charming. I would give 5 stars but there is only a shower, not a tub, and the bathroom is a little small. I'm a fan of boutique hotels and their quirks and the waterfront with its nautical, and sometimes pirate theme, did not disappoint. Beautiful outdoor pool, but a little too chilly today! Here for one night anniversary trip away from home.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is really well-situated in Jack London Square. It's also a very short stroll to the Sunday Farmer's Market. Walkers will enjoy the proximity to downtown, Chinatown, numerous smaller restaurants, as well as the BART station.

I arrived on a Sunday and was pleased with the positive energy of the check-in staff, but was bummed that the elevator was out of order. I was thrilled to be upgraded and even happier to have a room with a balcony that overlooks the nicer side. And was tickeled by the poolside fashion show.

If only I knew what the night would bring.

One my first night, the room A/C was so, so, so very loud. It rattled, it hissed, it wheezed, it shook. It was annoying. It disturbed my sleep. I live in New York City and am used to noise, but man oh man, the noise was a major downer. I reported the issue the next morning and was told an engineer would investigate.

Unfortunately, I don't think an engineer was sent. In fact, a different receptionist admitted that the hotel is aware of the noise.

Because the hotel was booked, I was stuck staying in the same room.

Also crappy was later learning that another part of the hotel had a working elevator. I paid $299, plus taxes, for a second relatively sleepless night and a broken elevator.

The last bad, but then better, issue was that my checkout receptionist told me I couldn't get a shutte ride to the BART station because it was midday. Didn't matter that the vans were parked. Fortunately, the valets overruled her and wound up taking me and another man to the train.

Considering the third receptionist was aware of the A/C issue, why was she unwilling to say "yes" to the van ride? Why didn't any of the receptionists offer meal vouchers at the restaurant as a way to soften the terrible-ness of the god-awful noise in my room. A small gesture would've gone a long way - especially since I selected this hotel based on two things: TripAdvisor and The New York Times.

Oh well. At least I really enjoyed Oakland!

Room Tip: Listen to the A/C before getting settled. You may need to switch rooms. Stay in the tower area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I came to Oakland to help my daughter move and was planning on staying in San Francisco for one night near her work. With the Oracle conference in SF all of the hotels were either full up or super pricey. So, after deciding to stay in Oakland, this hotel looked like a good choice. Its on the marina with nice views and most important to me, it felt very safe!

Its a nice hotel with a nautical theme that is actually tastefully done. The beds were super comfy and the high thread count sheets made for a wonderful, comfortable sleep. I had room service in the morning which was delivered right on time and was surprisingly good and not super expensive.

I was a little put off by that fact that they have mandatory valet parking for $20 but I had to walk past my car everytime I went between my room and the lobby - so, I would walk past the car to give the valet my ticket and he would go back and get the car and bring it to me. The room also has windows that open up to the waterfront which the previous occupant had opened and so the room had alot of flies in it! When I mentioned this at checkout I was told I could have called them for a fly swatter - I think they just need to put screens on the windows or make sure that house keeping handles the situation before someone new moves into the room.

Due to having a credit with one of the online booking services I paid less then half price for the room, so taking everything into account it was still good for me!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently spent a night at the Waterfront Hotel. The staff were amazing, we arrived early in the morning for a conference my husband was attending. The valet parked our car directly in front of the hotel so that I could retrieve our luggage later in the day and then drove me to the BART station an hour later so that I could spend the day in San Francisco. When I checked into the hotel that afternoon, we were given an beautiful room with a view of the harbor. The staff even called a few hours later to make sure that we were happy. This is a great hotel, next to the ferry to SF and many restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the harbor view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am sitting here in my room writing this review! I am very displeased with the service and conditions here at this hotel. Admittedly, on the outside, it is a quaint little establishment with all the looks of a very nice place to stay. I preface the rest of this with my extreme loathing of the phrase, "I apologize, Sir!"

Last night I checked in, to a well rehearsed welcome speech that definitely did not have "believe me" in her tone. She quietly asked if I had problems with stairs, because, of course, "I apologize, Sir! but the elevator is out of service..."

I get to my room to find that after a long day of travel, I could only use the toilet once because it does not flush. I went to bed, shrugging these things off as simple problems. But... when I abruptly awoke at 4:30 am to the lovely sound of a man in the next room talking about his sexual exploits and how much money he was gonna make on this next deal he was working on. The walls are "paper thin". I managed to make it until 5:15 before I could not longer take it and got up to take my shower, only to find that the toilet was not the only thing that would not drain. Apparently, the pipes had backed up into the tub.

I reported the tub, toilet, and "pimp daddy" to the front desk when I left for work, and again heard "I apologize, Sir!" but was assured that all would be remedied.

When work was done, as instructed, I called the hotel for shuttle service back to the hotel from the Oakland City Center where they dropped me off, but even though they advertise shuttle service until 8pm, they regretted to inform me that their driver was also their valet, and I would need to find alternate means of returning. So i had to walk 10 blocks because there was not a cab in site. When I arrived at the hotel, guess what I heard? "I apologize, Sir, for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I arrived at my room to find a Do Not Disturb Card on my door and a note that said "Sorry for not servicing your room, but we respect your privacy." I entered to find the tub and toilet still in its state of disrepair.

I tried to log onto my computer to write a review, but it appeared that my room had been cut off from accessing my internet privileges. I called the front desk... "I apologize, Sir, but our internet is from an outside vendor, and you have to take this up with them..." An hour later after 37 minutes on hold, i managed to get my account straight.

So here I am... regretting every minute that my client booked me in this hotel. I feel disgusted that they paid over $500 for two nights that have been worse, in my experience, than staying at a Motel 6.

I am sure many of you can overlook these little things, because the view from my room is fantastic, but that view is not of this hotel. Some people like saying that they stayed in a pricey hotel, but it still has to have a value added side to it.

In my travels, I have stayed in everything from the cheap dive motels to the Waldorf Astoria in New York, and this has to be the worst value for the price that I can speak of. At least in a dive you expect the worst. I hope that this helps you decide where to stay on your next visit to Oakland, I know the next time I come, I am going back to the City Center Marriott.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank iamld
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The waterfront Hotel is in a beautiful part of Oakland. The hotel's views of the waterfront are exquisite.

The staff at the hotel are pleasant, the rooms are nice but it is the outlook over the bay that is the best thing about staying here. I would have rated this hotel higher but on the night before we were leaving guests moved into the room above us and we could hear every move they made. Every step sounded like a thud, so up until 12.15 am we were still awake by the noises. They stopped till 7.15 am when the thudding started again.

We arrived on a Friday and on Saturday and Sunday thought we would use the Hotel shuttle. - only to be told that it doesn't run on weekends. Previous reviews have mentioned the noise from the Amtrak trains whistle. Yes it is loud but it does quieten down in the evenings. We did use the ferry and the trains to get over to the San Francisco side of the bay and we were glad we were staying on the Oakland side. There are beggars on both sides and they are prominent as you walk into Oakland but they don't hassle you.

I would only recommend this hotel if you were assured a top floor room.

Room Tip: Only accept a top floor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple