Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
$233
$179
$159
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $203/night.

$129
ClarionHotels
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $145/night.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites(Oakland)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $141/night.

$157
$210
Homewood
$79
1,076 results
All reviewsjack london squarenautical themethe penthousesan franciscoferry dockwine and cheesetrain noisefarmers marketjazz clubrestaurants and barsmovie theaterlight sleepercity viewbusiness tripwater viewamtrak stationi highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This is the best hotel in or near the Square. Welcoming, clean, well-appointed, good value. Try to get a room on the bay side. I had a nice chat with Valeria at the front desk and with the new exec chef (whose training and experience are impressive). This is a gem.

• Stayed: September 2011
distangl, Manager at Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

I would like to send you a quick thank you for posting a review regarding your stay here at the Waterfront. We appreciate all the feedback we can get. In this case it is all great news, which we share with the entire staff.
Joie De Vivre Hospitality and the Waterfront Hotel would like to thank you for staying and we sure hope to see you again at another one of our hotels in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed at the Waterfront after attending a corporate event. We were able to book the room for a reasonable rate. The room itself was very nice but the bathroom needed some major upgrades. There was mold in the tub, red mold on the ceiling and the tub had seen better days. I was afraid to touch anything in there. The towel under the one I grabbed after my shower had a dark curly hair on it. Yuck! Luckily I saw it before using it! The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We also had room service and the food was good. They wanted $25 for a roll away bed - really? Kind of pricey. We also had some extremely noisy guests down the hall. The thumping headboard next to our room was also annoying. Try explaining THAT to your 5 year old. All in all for the price it was an ok place to stay. I don't think we would go back and I would only recommend it if you're not a clean freak.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tripgirl2008

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed here a couple of nights on business and really liked the interesting decor. My room had been nicely updated and included a gas fireplace - not needed in sunny July but could be nice in the colder months. I used the fitness center a couple of times and it was... adequate. Staff was consistently friendly and helpful. Free WiFi in the rooms, and free access to a printer in the lobby for airline check-in.

The Jack London Square area was a bit of a disappointment, though - a few overpriced restaurants and not much else. There is a nice trail along the waterfront (perfect for a short run) that runs right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for waterfront view - nothing to see on the city side
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was looking for a hotel in the Oakland area that was pet friendly and was a certain rate per night. There are not alot of choices in downtown Oakland and the Waterfront Hotel was the only hotel that met my criteria, but I was slightly leery because I could not find alot of reviews on it, and the ones I did find, were not always good. I am here to say I stayed in this hotel for two weeks and the staff from the bell men to the general manager could not have been nicer. Everyone went out of their way to make myself and my dog feel right at home. I stayed in 2 different rooms, both with water views, while I def had a pref to one room over another, it was only a matter of personal taste, not because of poor rooms. There is an outdoor for pets right next to the hotel, the area is nicely lit, there is security personnel all over the Jack London Square area, and I never felt afraid to take my dog out after dark. This is a great hotel and when I come here on business again this will be the first hotel I check for availability. Don't miss out on this fabulous experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Me64068
distangl, Manager at Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Dear Me64068
Thank you for taking the time to write about us on tripadvisor. The Waterfront Hotel which offers a blend of “Business Casual, Festive, Adventurous, Soulful, Stimulating” hospitality in an atmosphere of timeless elegance, unique atmosphere of the Oakland waterfront with modern and luxurious designs, beyond comfortable and stylish rooms, unmatched harbor view, our restaurant, Miss Pearl’s Jam House. The Waterfront Hotel celebrates the adventurous spirit of the Oakland waterfront, with all of the guestrooms, public spaces, and meeting rooms embodying the maritime atmosphere and soul of the waterfront through the nautical inspired décor. it’s the people of The Waterfront Hotel who will make your experience so exceptional.
So on behalf of my General Manager and entire hotel team, I would like to thank you for kind sentiments.
I wanted to take a minute to introduce our wonderful hotel to tripadvisor viewers as you have stated there are not many reviews about us.
Perhaps the hotel’s best attribute is its perfect location to ferry terminal to San Francisco. Just steps away from Jack London Square and tourist attractions. From here it is only a few minutes` drive to Bay Bridge into San Francisco.
Every possible convenience has been introduced in all the Waterfront Hotel rooms or suites including air-conditioning, satellite TV, IDD telephone, a writing desk, high speed internet access and a radio with alarm clock. Additionally each room has a smoke detectors and sprinklers. The spacious bathrooms feature a separate toilet, a shower and a bath, and are equipped with “lather” amenities. Non-smoking floors and refrigerators and microwaves are available at no surcharge.
This rare combination together with its location makes the Waterfront Hotel the ideal choice for both business and leisure travelers when in Oakland.
Once again thank you for choosing the Waterfront Hotel and hope to lodge you on many more occasions.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our pets two years ago and had a fine stay. Therefore, we decided to stay at the Waterfront Hotel again. Great location, decent value, and pet friendliness all factored in to our three night stay. The night manager that checked us in promised us a pet friendly room.

Unfortunately, the floor didn't look like it had seen a vacuum cleaner in months. There was mold in the corner of the bathroom, too. Sorry, but pet friendly room does not equate to substandard living conditions in my opinion. My husband and I went out to eat in the neighborhood (Jack London Square). Not five minutes after we left, I got a call on my cell from the front desk. The night manager reported that our dogs were being a disturbance and we needed to come back. Upon further investigation, the noise had been coming from a pit bull on the same floor as ours, not our chihuahua and Boston Terrier.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the front desk told us we could not leave the hotel room without our pets because we signed their pet policy. We ordered room service that night (and the next morning so as not to leave the dogs alone). We decided to cancel the remaining two nights' reservations and book a room elsewhere. The manager at the front desk told my husband in the morning that all pet friendly hotels in the area make their guests sign the pet policy, and that we would just run into the same problem wherever we go.

We have checked in to our new hotel room, and I attest that this chain does not have the same Draconian pet policy that the Waterfront Hotel now has. Glad we moved over here, too...the room is nicer, the price is cheaper, and there's no mold in the bathroom!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
distangl, General Manager at Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Dear Casademccollem,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the cleanliness issue in your room. We have addressed the issue with the bathroom floor and it is now spotless.

The Waterfront, and most hotels that allow pets, request that the pets not be left unattended in guest rooms. The strange surroundings and strange noises, in a hotel, can frighten a pet and cause them to bark or to harm themselves. The Waterfront verifies a contact number with guests when they arrive to make certain that the pet’s owners can be contacted if an issue arises. The Waterfront has a list of pet sitters that can be called upon to sit with a pet if the owner is going to be away from the hotel and cannot have the pet accompany them.

I am very sorry that the telephone call was necessary to inform you that your two dogs were disturbing the guest in the neighboring room. There was an additional dog down the hallway that was also upset and barking and that may have been the reason that your two dogs became agitated. It was fortunate that when we met the following day, the owner of the other dog was able to join us and to provide an apology to you for the disturbance that his dog had caused you and the interruption of your dinner plans.

As a frequent past guest at the Waterfront, I do hope that you will think about us when you again travel to the Bay Area,

Mark Everton