“Ok Stay”

Hilton Oakland Airport
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Oakland Airport for 2 nights on business travel on 5/10/2010. Overall, the hotel was OK. Rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable. Location is nice, just a few minutes from the rental car agencies and airport, and just a short drive to downtown Oakland and San Fransisco. Hotel staff were very friendly. However, the hotel did not have complementary in-room internet (although free wifi was available in lobby) or breakfast (way over priced at $16 per person for the buffet). If you plan on eating a breakfast for 3 this isn't bad, but for those healthy eaters like me, $16 is a bit pricey for cereal, fruit, and coffee. Parking also wasn't free and was a bit steep ($10.25 per day). Even though these were a bit frustrating, the over all stay was pleasant. However, I will probably not stay here again because I don't feel you the best "bang for your buck".

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Hilton Oakland's GM Mark Clement was a true professional and made sure our stay was excellent. Lovely pool, great workout facilities, and nice and quiet and great rooms.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank wandersmuch
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Although I fly out of SFO more often than OAK, I do fly out of OAK from time to time, and have stayed variously here or at the Holiday Inn Express. I got a fairly decent park-sleep-fly price for one week. Unfortunately, the value is far poorer if one wishes to stay longer or less long than a week. I was surprised to see a AAA 4-diamond award plaque for 2009 in the lobby, because I've never thought of this as a 4-star hotel, although it is reasonable to say it is 3.5 stars (I noticed that the 2010 AAA TourBook gives it 3 stars). Across the street from the HIX, there is actually a new Holiday Inn next door to this hotel!
Anyways, while I would not classify this as a luxury hotel, I feel this property gets a bum rap on this website. Although I certainly agree with other reviewers that the OAK HIX is a nice property, it is not quite in the same category as this hotel. This hotel has a full-service restaurant, a full-service (and very nice) bar, a spacious & modern gym, a full-sized pool, a lounge, gardens, and so on, which the HIX doesn't have. In terms of amenities and comfort, this hotel is probably the best in the airport, and near the top in Oakland.
The rooms are fairly well updated, except that the TV in the rooms is one of those old-style TV's--not HD or even flat-screened. Although this is the nearest hotel to the airport (not by much, of course, and not within walking distance--almost 2 miles), there isn't much airplane noise. A light sleeper, I'm able to sleep without earplugs (unless I have a snoring room-mate, which I didn't this visit). As a HHilton Gold member, I was given a voucher for a full buffet breakfast, Embassy Suites-style with omelets to order and everything (somewhat unusual for a Hilton). I have personally not experienced problems with staff.
My biggest criticism relates to the airport shuttle. It now leaves only every 30 minutes, which is quite chintzy, given their proximity to the airport. I believe the BART shuttle leaves only every hour, making it fairly useless (not difficult to get from BART to the airport, though). Nevertheless, it is a bus, not a van--I hate having to go to the airport in a van. Through a turn of events, namely weather delays in Phoenix of all places (who would anticipate weather delays in Phoenix in March??), I ended up having to fly into SFO instead of OAK, and arrived here after midnight. No parking attendant at that time. Perhaps a bit of a security problem for some, but perhaps a way of getting out of paying parking fees for others...
So while I wouldn't classify this hotel and luxurious, and its shuttle service is marginal, it's a solid 3-star and really doesn't deserve being ranked below many of the other Oakland hotels above it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed March 2, 2010

This is probably one of the nicer hotels near Oakland Airport, but really only convenient if you have a meeting at the hotel itself, or your own car to get around. The neighborhood around the hotel is sketchy, so you can't really go out for food in the neighborhood on foot. Fortunately the hotel provides a shuttle to/from the airport as well as the nearest BART station (which itself is a bit sketchy). The staff and shuttle drivers were all very friendly.

The hotel has been renovated, but could still use some updating (if you ever want to see what level of effort a hotel puts into renovation, always check out the tub first, since that is usually the last thing they will touch). The layout of the hotel is somewhat odd - more like a "compound" than a traditional hotel, with long walkways between wings, but is still fairly easy to get around. The restaurant/bar is separate from the hotel, but you just have to walk across the parking lot to get to it.

I'm always surprised how different hotels treat their frequent guests. This is one of very few Hilton hotels who hold strictly to the "choose one" option for Honors Diamond members - it was either breakfast coupons OR internet access, not both as many Hilton hotels offer as a perk. No ex. Not a big deal, but don't expect the red carpet treatment at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Oakland Airport Hilton on January 15th. The property was fine and the location near the airport was very convenient. The problem is that when I booked the hotel I could have paid $90 to stay there or use Hilton Honors points. I decided to use my points. Unfortunately I did not realize I would be losing parking priviledges for my trip. When I stayed there last August I got seven days parking on a "park and fly" rate. When I returned from my trip I paid more in parking than I would have for the hotel room under the park and fly rate. I was also double charged for the first nights parking. Once when I checked out and then again when I returned from my trip. I filled out the guest survey and was contacted by customer service the next day. They assured me that the property manager would be informed and would contact me. Now Hilton Customer Service will not return my e-mail messages. I'm out 30,000 Hilton points and an extra $10.75 for the parking over charge. As a result I closed my Hilton Honors Credit Card and will use Marriott properties in the future. Marriott treats their valuable customers far better!!!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomOates
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed here and did the park and fly. Our stay was fine: good service, decent room service and food, help from the bell man to catch the shuttle to the airport. One the way home, we called for the shuttle from the airport at 7:37 pm. The person at the desk said the shuttle would arrive at 8:05 pm and we should wait outside at the curb. Finally, with a 2 year old and 4 year old in tow, we called again at 8:20 pm and they said there were "traffic problems" (a complete lie; the hotel is 2 minutes from the airport and no traffic on a Saturday night). When the shuttle finally arrived the driver said they had been there earlier and we had missed them (lie! we had been standing in the same place for all of that time). Next he said he would not drop us by our car, though we had seven bags and 2 kids (lie, they always have before). Then, though we had used park-n-fly, and paid in advance for the extra day, the attendant would not let us out of parking and we had to go back inside and get a new slip from the desk. A horrible end to this stay and no customer service at all.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Had a business meeting in Oakland near the airport and three of us stayed at the Hilton. it is a large, spread out property. Everyone was nice and courteous. The room was large and comfortable. The bathrooms could use an update. I am a fan of curved shower rods and even put them in my house after first experiencing them at a Marriott property. My shower surround had some air pockets on the floor and was a little spongy. Water was hot though and strong pressure.
Had drinks at the bar and we all ordered doubles, they were more like quadruples, holy cow! The breakfast buffet was good and you could order fresh omelets. We paid for breakfast but some people had signed up for some package that came with a coupon that we missed somehow. Location was close to our meetings and easy to get in and out of. We ate dinner at Francesca's nearby which was good, I'd stick to their signature type items. Nice exercise facilities and a surprising amount of people used them. Had to pay for internet service which always bugs me.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business