“Don't bother, they love bad profits” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Oakland Airport

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Don't bother, they love bad profits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Had to stay here because Hilton Garden Inns were full. Will not do that again.
How about $12/day parking, and oh, you want internet access in your room, that will be another $12/day.
I thought piracy was illegal?
In the days of Marriott Courtyards and Hilton Garden Inns and even the nicer Hamptons, places like this are on there way out.
Front desk staff was very professional when I started to comment about the hidden charges One of the better aspects of this property. My room was clean, quiet, and somewhat modern. Ask for room on 3 floor if you do not want to hear footsteps all night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here one night to catch an early flight the next morning. The room was in the older part of the facility and was musty and stale. Mold in the shower, coffee maker didn't work, etc. It was the night before a Raiders game and there was a big party going on in the hallway until 1:00am. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Twinparks
Charles K, Front Office Manager at Hilton Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time away from your busy schedule to fill out a review in reference to your most recent stay with us. From the valuable feedback we receive from our many guests, we are better able to address and correct issues that are brought to our attention.

In reading your comments, I can assure you that we take room smell very seriously and have addressed this issue and your comments with our housekeeping managers, supervisors, and our engineering team in regards to retraining on preventative maintenance and room inspections prior to guest arrivals. It is more than an inconvenience to our valued guests when their expectations are not met. There is no excuse for the impression which we have made upon you. We strive to surpass guest expectations and our staff is naturally inclined to please others, so it is highly unusual for us to have caused this negative impression. We are constantly working hard to be proactive and avoid situations like these in the future.

I understand your hesitation in staying with us again in the near future; however I hope that if your future travels bring you back to the East Bay Area, that you give us another opportunity to be of service.

Please contact me so that I can personally invite you back to our hotel and restore our reputation with you.

Warmest regards,

Charles Kong
Director of Front Office
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I spent 32 nights in a row at this hotel. Normally I stay at the Homewood, but they were booked up and I had to stay in this Hilton. I really don't know what people are talking about when they say the rooms are dated at this property, everything looked new to modern in my room. In fact, I know my fridge was new because it still had tape from the manufacturer on the inside holding the racks in place. So perhaps they are doing updates?
I would also like to say that the staff here is absolutely amazing. I stay in lots of hotels, I know when I'm getting "nice because I have to be nice" and "nice because I'm happy to be here" these folks are a prime example of the later. I never had anything but great interactions with the staff and after 32 Nights, I am amazed by that fact.
They offer free laundry for guests and the fitness center is by far the best I have ever seen in a hotel.
There are some annoyances though, like paying for parking. I understand the need to monitor the lots, but just include the cost in the price of my room. Having to pay out $11.75 every day was annoying, and while I could have loaded up the ticket they give you with enough to cover parking for the entire stay, I didn't come expecting to pay $376 just to park during my stay.
Also, the WiFi isn't free here unless you're a Gold or Diamond Hilton Honors member. I found codes to use to get me on for free (since I hit Gold while staying here), but the connection would slow down considerably in the evenings.
The most annoying thing about this hotel (and I'm not counting this against them) is what happens when the Raiders play. As someone who is only here for work I was not a happy camper on game day. Glass would be breaking in the parking lot, guys would be screaming in the hallways, and trash would end up strewn everywhere.
I'd totally stay here again (although, probably only for shorter stays since the rooms don't even have a microwave). Honestly, if they'd just include the parking and wifi in the cost of the room, I'd probably be so happy I'd give it 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Building 3 has ample parking behind it, the laundry facility and the fitness center connects to it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I would not stay here again. The hotel was dated and not like your typical Hilton. I realize I was in the Bay Area but I had to pay over $200 per night. Not worth it unless you had an early morning flight out if the airport. The sportsbar was ok, food was actually pretty good.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank OnTheRoad4040
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This place needs serious updating. The rooms have an outdated decor, dirty carpets, worn out bathrooms, and a heavy smell of mothballs to help you sleep.

The front desk staff was helpful and courteous. I wish I could say the same about the sports bar bartender.

If you have to stay here just muscle through it and move on in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TheFlyingBeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Returned to this hotel for it's previously good all around stay. However, not pleased this time. Bathroom had body hair from last person in the room..disgusting. Electronic room key did not work after second use, parking card would not hold it's validation and food service in the restaurant was very slow, but the meal was good tasting and reasonable priced. I don't pay full price so I can have less than good full service and several minor inconveniences.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank macjry
Charles K, Manager at Hilton Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It is nice to learn that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, including the cleanliness of our guest rooms during your previous stays. I would like personally to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

In reading your comments, I sincerely apologize for the condition in which you found the room. I have personally spoken to our housekeeping managers, and supervisors relating to room inspections prior to guest arrivals. It is my hope that we will not have repeat occurrences like these in the future. It it more than a minor inconvenience to our valued guests to have demagnetized keycards after the first use. Although there is nothing we can do about magnetization of our keycards, we can be more diligent in the future as it relates to applying the proper validation period for parking. I have personally begun retraining the staff on selecting the proper date of check-out as it pertains to our parking ticket system.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your time and feedback! I hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service the next time you are in the area!

Warmest regards,

Charles Kong
Director of Front Office
DFW, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here one night for an early morning flight. The parking lot is a pay lot and you have to take a ticket to get in. We were planning on unloading our car and returning it to the car rental first thing. There was an event going on, so we had to circle to find a spot(no spots were saved for customers checking in)and since it was a large lot, we found a spot some distance away, no problem. It took us awhile to check in and asked at desk about the validation for parking and were told we "would not have a problem at all". We then found the room, went to move car and unpacked it. There was no lounging, we went to leave immediately. We then went to exit and were told we had to pay $3 to park. Whaaaat??? We told her that the lady at front desk said there was no problem. But we had to pay. You get 20 minutes to get all your stuff in your room and we took 30!!! REALLY???? If they were quicker on the check in, had reserved guest parking and the room was located close to check in, MAYBE you could do it in 20? Not that day!!
So, you only get once to make a first impression, and they failed with us. Having said that, the room was good, clean. As noted, they only give you 2 towels regardless of # of guests. They obviously talked to their drivers. We took the rental car shuttle and the airport shuttle and the drivers were friendly, courteous and opened the doors. I'd go back, but I would definitely advise anyone to get their parking VALIDATED no matter what the front desk clerk says! Again, their first impression never really left us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites
3.5 of 5 stars 238 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Been to Hilton Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!