“Blah...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Greenville, South Carolina
“Blah...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I would not stay here again. The hotel was dated and not like your typical Hilton. I realize I was in the Bay Area but I had to pay over $200 per night. Not worth it unless you had an early morning flight out if the airport. The sportsbar was ok, food was actually pretty good.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank OnTheRoad4040

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This place needs serious updating. The rooms have an outdated decor, dirty carpets, worn out bathrooms, and a heavy smell of mothballs to help you sleep.

The front desk staff was helpful and courteous. I wish I could say the same about the sports bar bartender.

If you have to stay here just muscle through it and move on in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TheFlyingBeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Returned to this hotel for it's previously good all around stay. However, not pleased this time. Bathroom had body hair from last person in the room..disgusting. Electronic room key did not work after second use, parking card would not hold it's validation and food service in the restaurant was very slow, but the meal was good tasting and reasonable priced. I don't pay full price so I can have less than good full service and several minor inconveniences.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank macjry
Charles K, Manager at Hilton Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It is nice to learn that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, including the cleanliness of our guest rooms during your previous stays. I would like personally to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

In reading your comments, I sincerely apologize for the condition in which you found the room. I have personally spoken to our housekeeping managers, and supervisors relating to room inspections prior to guest arrivals. It is my hope that we will not have repeat occurrences like these in the future. It it more than a minor inconvenience to our valued guests to have demagnetized keycards after the first use. Although there is nothing we can do about magnetization of our keycards, we can be more diligent in the future as it relates to applying the proper validation period for parking. I have personally begun retraining the staff on selecting the proper date of check-out as it pertains to our parking ticket system.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your time and feedback! I hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service the next time you are in the area!

Warmest regards,

DFW, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here one night for an early morning flight. The parking lot is a pay lot and you have to take a ticket to get in. We were planning on unloading our car and returning it to the car rental first thing. There was an event going on, so we had to circle to find a spot(no spots were saved for customers checking in)and since it was a large lot, we found a spot some distance away, no problem. It took us awhile to check in and asked at desk about the validation for parking and were told we "would not have a problem at all". We then found the room, went to move car and unpacked it. There was no lounging, we went to leave immediately. We then went to exit and were told we had to pay $3 to park. Whaaaat??? We told her that the lady at front desk said there was no problem. But we had to pay. You get 20 minutes to get all your stuff in your room and we took 30!!! REALLY???? If they were quicker on the check in, had reserved guest parking and the room was located close to check in, MAYBE you could do it in 20? Not that day!!
So, you only get once to make a first impression, and they failed with us. Having said that, the room was good, clean. As noted, they only give you 2 towels regardless of # of guests. They obviously talked to their drivers. We took the rental car shuttle and the airport shuttle and the drivers were friendly, courteous and opened the doors. I'd go back, but I would definitely advise anyone to get their parking VALIDATED no matter what the front desk clerk says! Again, their first impression never really left us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Not my favorite Hilton property, but I would stay there anytime I needed to be close to the Oakland Airport. The room was very clean, with the exception that there was a wasp in the bathroom that scared my wife something terrible. After killing the wasp, she settled down. If she had her choice I am sure this review would be horrible.

Breakfast was quite good with eggs cooked to order on the buffet.

For a full service Hilton, I think this one is average . . .however if you are Hilton points junkie like I am, you will find it satisfactory. Unless you find a wasp and actually get stung!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Charles K, Manager at Hilton Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Jason,

It is nice to learn that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, including the cleanliness of our guest rooms during your most recent stay. I would like personally to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

It is unfortunate, and I apologize for the wasp that you found in the bathroom. I have personally spoken to our housekeeping managers, supervisors, and our engineering team in regards to retraining on preventative maintenance and room inspections prior to guest arrivals. It is my hope that we will not have repeat occurrences like these in the future.

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Warmest regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Nice for the price, as long as your not paying more then $120 in my opinion. Most higher end hotels were $160+ by OAK, this Hilton was $50 because we redeem some Hilton points. If i spent $160 probably would rather have stayed at the new holiday inn down the street, or I've stayed at the red lion for $85, rooms are nice there if you get the ones in the main building, but hotel is older - not that great of shape. Bring some food, nice restraunts in this area are hard to come by....just saying.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brockketcher
Agoura Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Arrived on a saturday at Oakland Airport/ slow day and waited outside for the hotel shuttle. Van driver pulled up and he never even took off his seat belt. We had to manage opening the doors and trying to put our luggage in the van. Hotel is a great location but so is the Red Lion and The Courtyard Marriott and we saw the Red Lion Shuttle driver get out of the van open the van doors and help folks with there luggage. Why didn't the Hilton Driver help. Sunday morning around 630-700 our hallway was a freeway. You can hear the next room sneeze. You can hear folks walking down the hallway. So Noisy. Then the maids start and its even nosier. No sleeping in at this hotel. Took the shuttle back to the airport and I think the shuttle driver wanted us to jump out while the van was moving. He never got out of his drivers seat to let us out on the return to the airport. Lastly are Hilton Hotel Shuttle driver expempt from the Cell Phone talking while driving law ? He was on his Nextle talking the entire ride to the airport and it wasnt hands free. Ill try the Red Lion next A-S game. GO A-S

Room Tip: There all Noisy and they need soundproofing
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,

It was a pleasure speaking with you last week regarding our shuttle service. I wanted to take this opportunity to convey my sincerest apologies regarding our shuttle drivers, specifically the individuals who caused this negative impression.

I want to thank you for taking the time out to share with us your experiences during your stay with us. From the valuable feedback we receive from our many guests, we are better able to address and correct issues that are brought to our attention. I have spoken to all my drivers regarding talking on Nextels/cellphones illegally while in transit, specifically in regards to transporting guests. Our behavior was unacceptable in both instances with the driver pick-up and drop-off back to the airport. There is no excuse for the impression which we have made upon you either by our drivers or our staff in regards to your stay. We strive to surpass guest expectations and our staff is naturally inclined to please others, so it is highly unusual for us to have caused this negative impression.

I, as well as on behalf of my associates, apologize for our behavior.

I understand your hesitation in staying with us again in the near future; however I do hope that if your future travels bring you back to the East Bay Area, that you give us another opportunity to be of service. Please contact me so that I can personally invite you back to our hotel and restore our reputation with you.

Respectfully and appreciatively,
Hilton Oakland Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites
3.5 of 5 stars 238 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Been to Hilton Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!