“Would not consider staying here again”

Motel 6 Oakland Airport
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed February 8, 2011

The entrance was the first surprise. There's security at the entrance to check your license plate, while lots of people roaming around the area. Once you get in the office, there's bullet proof windows. The worker was okay though, service is good, not slow. You have to write down all the names of people staying. Once you get your room key, it's written, "no guest is allowed in the room after 10pm, or else you'd be asked to leave".

The room was in okay condition. Everything was okay until the next day. When we return the end of the day, the room door is actually open. We believe they didn't shut it properly after housekeeping. We checked our bags, and everything is in its place. That's a sigh of relieve. Then, we found out they only left us with one towel.

Overall, it didn't give me a safe feeling. Perhaps it's the area.

• Stayed: February 2011
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Oakland Airport

Reviewed May 21, 2009

Let me tell you about the Motel 6 from hell? We didn't have a room set for our San Francisco trip although my husband had done some leg work and found a Motel 6 in Newark but I was sure we could do better. After calling every hotel listing in the AAA guide that said they would take dogs and not charge $300 non refundable cleaning fee in addition to a daily fee I realized that perhaps I was wrong. I broke down and called Motel 6 to make a reservation and the reservation specialist told me there was a much closer hotel that was right near the airport in Oakland and had a pool and fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast and only cost $69 a night I jumped at the chance and forked over my credit card number. Now remember that scene in Vacation when Chevy Chase saw the station wagon he had rented and realized the Family Truckster was not exactly what he had envisioned .Well then you know how we felt when we pulled up to the little white security shed at the entrance to our first Motel 6 experience. I should have known better when I went to check in and realized the concierge was standing behind six inches of bullet proof Plexiglas. Hmmmmnnn…

Well, with no other options I checked us in. Although it was a non-smoking room the polyester carpet was littered with cigarette burns and the walls had the familiar tinge of yellow familiar to all those who have lived with smokers. The towels had little curly black hairs, as did the blanket; well actually those were long and black. The bathroom door looked as though it had been kicked in on a fairly regular basis as it had been patched over and over. The door to the room was also unsealed so we had a strip of sunlight that shone through and added to the charm of our room. Our neighbors were a transient looking group of middle easterners that enjoyed hovering outside our door and leaning against the railing, while my husband was unloading the trailer, and staring at my six year old son and myself while sipping from their long necked Bud Lights. Fabulous!

I can officially say that will be our first and last time staying at a Motel 6. You can leave your light on for someone else.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This 6 can be appear to be a bit scary. There’s a check point to get in. There’s also bullet proof glass on the office windows. However, considering the area, this security is almost expected. And, if you need to stay in the area, it’s a welcome addition. I stayed there with my wife, and our room was satisfactory. The room was clean. We felt safe. It was also surprisingly quiet. There are a few individuals loitering around the place, as is often the case at Motel 6’s, but I never felt like I was in any real danger. All in all it’s a pretty typical 6 experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JM837626
Reviewed June 23, 2008

WHERE DO I START... THIS WAS THE WORST MOTEL EVER... We ck in about 9pm , go to the rm put bag down. on the floor at the edge of the bed a used comdom I dont know if it was in the covers i did pull the cover off the bed .. i know you leave the light on but for who? hookers and hoes... i have never in my life been to a unclen hotel before. i took pictures and will be forwarding the pictures to the newspaper , health dept.. and everyone .. utube,,, never stays at the motel 6. they leave the light for hookers.hoes and crack head.s

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank WOWLosAngeles
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Asked for a non-smoking room, got a smoking room. These things happen, so we didn't mind and went back to ask for another room. The receptionist, however, seemed to mind and was particularly rude...I guess at Oakland's Motel6 you should just take whatever they hand to you and shut up. Finally got a non-smoking room. There were no towels, the bed was not freshly made but had fresh dark stains and pubic hair on the sheets. We ended up sleeping on the bedspread where at least we couldn't see the stains. The whole room was plain nasty. Add to that the fact that the place seems to be a hangout for people partying in the parking lot , the generally unsafe area and the bulletproof windows behind which the employes need to hide and you got yourself the perfect place for a nice night in Oakland. Another traveler's review called the place "nasty, scary". I have nothing to add to that.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Seppo
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 25, 2005

It was basically like every other Motel 6 stay of the room decor and service. One thing I wanted to remark on is that all well-respected hotels and motels are all located next to Motel 6 so the surroundings are the same except probably the service. If your there to just sleep and spend most of the time on business or sight seeing then Motel 6 would be the place to sleep because it is cheaper. Recommend to purchase online as it is cheaper of course.

Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Security checkpoint to park. Okay, I can live with that. The thickest, bullet proof glass you will ever see separates you and the person checking you in. This is during the day, mind you. That makes me worry. If the staff is that afraid then I feel uneasy. I walked into my room. This room smells. I mean, really really smells. It's nonsmoking, but smells like old cigarrettes and moldy carpet. Big room, filthy filthy carpet, the bedspread looks dirty, the counter tops feel sticky. The television looks old, and the picture is very poor. The telephone is really gross. Mirror has big scratches in it. I am a very very experienced traveler. I have stayed in all sorts of Motels, all over the world, including many Motel 6's. I understand that this motel is in a relatively unsafe area. I can live with the bullet proof glass and security parking. What I can't accept is a dirty, smelly room with a bad television, horrid carpet, dirty looking bedspread, phone and countertops. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business