“Great Option Near the Oakland Airport and McAfee Coliseum”

La Quinta Inn Oakland Airport Coliseum
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Option Near the Oakland Airport and McAfee Coliseum”
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I stayed here for 3 nights to attend the Oakland A's 2006 ALDS Home game and was very pleased with this hotel.

Usually I stay at the Hilton when I attend sporting events at McAfee Coliseum but their prices went through the roof due to this playoff game and I wanted to be here for pre and post game partying so the Hilton was way too expensive for a multiple day visit.

The first thing I liked about this hotel is the excellent shuttle. It runs 24 hours a day and will take you to any nearby place - not just the Airport...they'll take you to a nearby restaurant, bar, actually they seemed pretty cool about going anywhere nearby. I was not going to drive with all the beer flowing during this festive atmosphere and left the driving to the shuttle. They even took me to the game.

Second it is a very safe and secure feeling facility. This area is not the world's most comforting location and I appreciated the indoor corridors and the vigilant staff who made sure to ask to see my i.d. when my key became demagnatized. Make sure to bring your i.d even if you just go for a quick walk to get ice and are in your sweats and slippers - that's what I was wearing and still had to show them i.d to get a new key!

The room itself was very large especially compared to San Francisco's cramped (and overpriced rooms). It was also EXTREMELY clean. The only thing that I didn't like were the very tiny cups but that's about the only complaint I have with the room. It is nothing fancy but that was ok. I had no need for a mint on my pillow and a mini bar. I slept well on the king size bed and had no complaints about noise whatsoever.

(they did also have ethernet and wireless internet which I did not use but want to mention for those who might need to know).

I also appreciated the free breakfast buffet where you could make your own waffles and had boiled eggs, plenty of different bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, juice and coffee.

If you need to stay in this part of Oakland and need a clean, safe, basic hotel this place will do just fine.

• Liked — almost everything
  • Disliked — no bar/cocktail lounge
  • Tips/Secrets — take the shuttle to the sports bar in the Hilton or to nearby restaurants
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank aajr26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
County Down
Reviewed September 28, 2006

We stayed at this budget hotel for one night in September, as we were going to a raiders game. It is only a short walk to the coliseum. We had no problems at all. Rooms were large, bathrooms well equipped, and staff seemed helpful. We didn't use the shuttle service, so perhaps there are problems there, but we found the stay to be satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jet-lagged23
Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2006

I've stayed at La Quinta twice this year, once in January and again, for two nights, this past June. It is definitely a budget hotel, but with a couple extras. The free breakfast is fine, but pretty typical of free breakfasts across the country at this type of hotel. Both times my room was fine - clean and quiet. Maybe I lucked out, but I was satisfied. The front desk was fine, but I didn't ask them for anything special. In addition to the free breakfast, one thing I especially like the free wi-fi. Just powered up my laptop and downloaded email, etc. And, of course, it's right by the airport, making it easy for me to catch early morning flights. In all, this is a very basic budget hotel with no amenities other than the free wi-fi and free breakfast. But it was clean and close to the airport - and inexpensive; together enough to rate an "average."

• Liked — Wi-fi and breakfast
  • Disliked — Neighborhood
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank schulzwh
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed here one night on August 5 after arriving on a late flight into Oakland's airport. The shuttle service was a little slow at night, but the next morning we asked about the schedule and were able to jump on the shuttle back to the airport the next morning without problems. The free breakfast was good- bagels, waffles (make your own), cereal, fruit, yogurt.

Our room was average. Clean, but about what we expected for the price we paid. We didn't have any problems with noise or anything breaking.

Front desk staff should have asked about taking down our frequent guest number, but didn't. We forgot about it as well, so now will have to go back and get credit retroactive. Front desk staff wasn't overly friendly, especially on the phone when I called from the airport to check on the shuttle.

Overall, it was an ok stay. We weren't looking for anything special- just a place to crash before taking the BART into San Francisco the next morning. It was a pretty good deal for the price.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2005

This was fine for a quick night before or after a flight. The front desk always seemed to be having problems. No ice other than 1st floor. I overheard several people complaining about the shuttle.

Stayed July 2005
5 Thank seethemoon
Reviewed July 24, 2005

We stayed one night on July 16, 2005 as we were going to an A's game on the Sunday. The room was clean and tidy and the pool was great for our seven year old. The breakfast the next day was incredible - cereal, waffles, fruit, yoghurt, muffins, bagels, etc. We walked to the game - make sure you walk past the truck dealership. We would stay hear again if we were in the area.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank Narelle M
Caspar, California
Reviewed July 4, 2005

We just had a one night stay after driving from northern(er) California to catch a 6 am plane. We choose this hotel because it advertised 24 hour shuttle service, was close to the airport, and inexpensive (relatively, nothing is truly inexpensive in California). Very basic rooms and bathrooms, clean and no problems with noise.

We were disappointed we our stay because the main reason we choose the hotel was the advertised 24 hour shuttle service -- and it was not efficient. The night we arrived we were stranded at the airport rental car center for well over an hour -- each time we called they said the shuttle would be there in just a few minutes. They should have told us that the shuttle was unable to help us and we would have made our own arrangements for transportation.

Apparently a lot of the courier service personnel (FedEx, Airbourne, etc) stay at this hotel and the shuttle is busy freighting them around from 7 pm -1030 pm.

In the morning there were no glitches with the shuttle service to the airport -- but be sure to sign up for it the day before.

One caution: 2 folks on the morning shuttle said that they didn't receive their wakeup calls.

On my next trip I will stay at the Hilton -- its shuttle came around every 10 minutes or so.

Stayed June 2005