“It's very nice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“It's very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Some very good reviews convinced us to book here... well, that and we got an exceptionally good rate from Priceline. However had we been paying the rate quoted to us over the phone, my review might be less positive.

The pluses: Spacious and clean room. Everything worked.

The minuses: Terrible location near nothing but a highway and a noisy one at that. Now to be fair, at night, with the windows closed and the hum of the A/C the road noise was not intrusive for us but for a light sleeper I can see where there might be problems.

Would I stay here again or recommend to a friend? Conditionally. A lot depends on what you're after and what you're paying for the room. If you get a good rate, have a car, and are willing to drive everywhere - even to the nearest 7-11, this place might work for you. If you're looking for something in the middle of it all, where you can walk out your door to shops, restaurants, etc., forget it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ripon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a stay at this property. We were in town for a retirement celebration held at Yoshi's (Japanese restaurant) in Jack London Square a few miles up the road. We had the Water View King Suite, in the newer building. January is obviously a very slow month. There were probably 15 other guests in the whole building. It was very peaceful and quite. Our room was on the third floor. On check-in they offered us an upgrade to a larger suite for only $20 more and we declined. I asked about the upgraded breakfast mentioned on line with the packages and they said they didn't have that.....the breakfast is the same for everyone. The breakfast was the typical help your self to fruit, cereal, waffles, toast, hardboiled eggs, buiscuts and gravy, juices and coffee and tea. We had booked our reservation by phone for the better rate.
The whole facility was clean, our room was large and had all the amenities. Bathroom was large with large shower and large tub separate. We felt it was a fair price for the room we had and we'd stay at this property again.

• Liked — large room and clean, peaceful
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlmondBlossomCapital
Los Lunas, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

My family was having a big gathering in California and they flew into Oakland. We spent the weekend in Oakland and decided to stay at the Executive Inn & Suites for our weekend stay. There were 12 family members total and the hotel did everything to accommodate us. The location is a little out of the way but it's quiet and very pleasant, we had a bay front room. The hotel had great internet access all over the grounds. The hotel was decorated very nice, it was immaculately clean, and the staff was very helpful in telling us how to get around. They had a great pool area and a hot tub. The grounds by the bay were kept very nice and we often would stay out there at night and have a glass of wine and play cards, it had a great view of the San Francisco skyline. I would stay here again immediately, I loved this hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank detome
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Well, it's an improvement over staying at Jack London Square; however, it's proximity to the freeways makes it quite noisy if you stay on the traffic side vs. the ocean view side. I happened to be there during the oil tanker spill and fire, so the traffic getting was a little hard - that aside, the little 5-7 muchies were good, but I stayed on the non-view side the first night - the window ampified the three highway/freeways lanes and BART system made the traffic drone horrible for me - I did not sleep in it even with the fan on all night :P. I had to pay more for a change to the view side the next night - you can lightly hear traffic, but the side away from the freeway is much better - you can even leave off the fan and be comfortable, and I closed the bathroom door to void out the running toilet. Staff at the desk were nice, but they are limited for shuttle service - only runs on the hour to the airport, and only to a few zones in the downtown area on the half-hour. I probably would stay in Emeryville or Alameda when I return next time. Only one dockside restuarant is close by at this hotel, you have to drive East to the Island entrance for any quaint food locations.

• Liked — Staff were friendly
  • Disliked — The outside traffic noise is very high on the non-view side
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Snappy_Travelor
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

Ok, we needed a short get away for a few days so we stayed at the Executive Inn. We had a suite with ocean view but all you really see is Oakland’s harbor. My pixs are the BEST views we got of the ocean for our corner room. We were NOT impressed with the OCean view which we paid extra for and for the top floor at that. However, inside looks AWESOME!

GREAT ROOMS!!!! Roomy, rommy rommy!!!! Couch and king sized bed with mini fridge. Separate shower and spa tub, with toilet in its own separate so we could really multitask since some times we are on our own agendas.

Breakfast was GREAT! A continental of sort but make your own waffles, cereal, fruit, granola bars, eggs (everything I love since I am a breakfast minimalist) in a casual living room sort of dining room with big screen tv to watch the news while you chat with other tourists!

It was conveniently located b/c we were only a hop skip and jump away from the freeway entrance to take us right over the Bay Bridge to SF and three exist down to Oakland Airport. We were also only a few minutes to Oakland Lake Merritt (Park Ave and Grand Lake for shopping during the day and lounging at local bars at night). In fact, one night we went out, and were close enough to drive back t the hotel in less than five minutes and change our mind on driving that night since we both wanted to drink so we caught a cab back out for the night and were back downtown less than 30 minutes from the point we left the area. It was a big hassle when I left my purse with room key and id at one o the bars and had to fight with front desk for a long while to get another key to get in. I was even able to tell him my credit card number, (yes every single digit, with expiration date and security code in back) which I know they physically copied an impression of when I checked in since I upgraded to a suite and which has a picture of ME on it! But I guess I should be happy that he put up a fight before giving me a another key (and that was only because I threatened their hotels potential liability they’d be in if something happened to me while I waited outside in their parking lot all night for that bar to open up later that day to get my purse).

It’s not in the most pleasant of neighborhood, but what Hotel in Oakland is. Now there were police everywhere, so we were really unsettled when we first arrived until we learned that they offer the local police free coffee all day and night so the local cops hubbub down at the end f then hotel parking lot.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank angel_esq
Algonquin, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We loved this hotel. Its kind of in an odd place to get to but we had a nice view on the harbor. The room was huge! When we booked, we were supposed to have a room with 2 kings but when we got to the room, it actually had 2 queens. So we called the office about it, and they said they were out of king rooms. This room was so large, and we were fine with the queens so we just kept the room, and they discounted the price for us. This room also had a full-size sleeper sofa (with a horrible mattress). The large bathroom had a separate toilet room with a glass enclosed shower and soaker tub. There was a double-door full-size closet with soft white robes hanging. A table with mirror was right next to the door in a small alcove. So you can imagine how large this room was! It was very quiet here. We never heard anything, at all. This hotel actually has two separate buildings. We were in the newer one. Both are very nice but the original building where you check in has smoking rooms available. I didn't see any in our building. This hotel was very clean. The lobby is huge, and thats where they serve the continental breakfast. They have the usual fruit, cereal, pastries, coffee, etc. and also hard-boiled eggs. If you want make your own waffles, you'll need to go over to the older buildling. There was a workout room with elliptical and treadmill, towels, water bottles. Too cool outside for the pool so we can't comment on that. We really enjoyed our stay here. The only downside was there really wasn't anything else in the area in the way of restaurants, etc.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Roadtrippers5
easton, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

We stayed in the older building for three nights during the last weekend in July, then returned for two nights the following weekend and stayed in the newer suites building.

Our first room contained two queen beds and was OK--furniture was a little worn and there was a vague cigarette smell even though the room was nonsmoking, but the view of the estuary and Coast Guard Island from the balcony was quite pleasant, the beds were comfortable, we had access to a laundry room (with two active boys on a long vacation, that's a necessity), breakfast was decent, the pool was very nice and we were close to the family and friends we were visiting.

When our plans changed to include another visit to Oakland the next weekend, we decided to return--this time, we got a reduced rate for a "waterside" suite--a much larger, newer room with a sofa and chair, huge bathroom and big closet. The room was actually at the far end of the building, so it kind of faced both water and road, but there was very little noise and the view was still quite pleasant.

If you're looking to walk to lots of restaurants and shops, this probably isn't the best place, but if you're looking for a good base to explore the larger area, it's great!

• Liked — Nealry everything
  • Disliked — The room in the older building had a vague cigarette smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family