“If you are a light sleeper AVOID the non-view side!”

Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix
“If you are a light sleeper AVOID the non-view side!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

Well, it's an improvement over staying at Jack London Square; however, it's proximity to the freeways makes it quite noisy if you stay on the traffic side vs. the ocean view side. I happened to be there during the oil tanker spill and fire, so the traffic getting was a little hard - that aside, the little 5-7 muchies were good, but I stayed on the non-view side the first night - the window ampified the three highway/freeways lanes and BART system made the traffic drone horrible for me - I did not sleep in it even with the fan on all night :P. I had to pay more for a change to the view side the next night - you can lightly hear traffic, but the side away from the freeway is much better - you can even leave off the fan and be comfortable, and I closed the bathroom door to void out the running toilet. Staff at the desk were nice, but they are limited for shuttle service - only runs on the hour to the airport, and only to a few zones in the downtown area on the half-hour. I probably would stay in Emeryville or Alameda when I return next time. Only one dockside restuarant is close by at this hotel, you have to drive East to the Island entrance for any quaint food locations.

• Liked — Staff were friendly
  • Disliked — The outside traffic noise is very high on the non-view side
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Snappy_Travelor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

Ok, we needed a short get away for a few days so we stayed at the Executive Inn. We had a suite with ocean view but all you really see is Oakland’s harbor. My pixs are the BEST views we got of the ocean for our corner room. We were NOT impressed with the OCean view which we paid extra for and for the top floor at that. However, inside looks AWESOME!

GREAT ROOMS!!!! Roomy, rommy rommy!!!! Couch and king sized bed with mini fridge. Separate shower and spa tub, with toilet in its own separate so we could really multitask since some times we are on our own agendas.

Breakfast was GREAT! A continental of sort but make your own waffles, cereal, fruit, granola bars, eggs (everything I love since I am a breakfast minimalist) in a casual living room sort of dining room with big screen tv to watch the news while you chat with other tourists!

It was conveniently located b/c we were only a hop skip and jump away from the freeway entrance to take us right over the Bay Bridge to SF and three exist down to Oakland Airport. We were also only a few minutes to Oakland Lake Merritt (Park Ave and Grand Lake for shopping during the day and lounging at local bars at night). In fact, one night we went out, and were close enough to drive back t the hotel in less than five minutes and change our mind on driving that night since we both wanted to drink so we caught a cab back out for the night and were back downtown less than 30 minutes from the point we left the area. It was a big hassle when I left my purse with room key and id at one o the bars and had to fight with front desk for a long while to get another key to get in. I was even able to tell him my credit card number, (yes every single digit, with expiration date and security code in back) which I know they physically copied an impression of when I checked in since I upgraded to a suite and which has a picture of ME on it! But I guess I should be happy that he put up a fight before giving me a another key (and that was only because I threatened their hotels potential liability they’d be in if something happened to me while I waited outside in their parking lot all night for that bar to open up later that day to get my purse).

It’s not in the most pleasant of neighborhood, but what Hotel in Oakland is. Now there were police everywhere, so we were really unsettled when we first arrived until we learned that they offer the local police free coffee all day and night so the local cops hubbub down at the end f then hotel parking lot.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank angel_esq
Algonquin, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We loved this hotel. Its kind of in an odd place to get to but we had a nice view on the harbor. The room was huge! When we booked, we were supposed to have a room with 2 kings but when we got to the room, it actually had 2 queens. So we called the office about it, and they said they were out of king rooms. This room was so large, and we were fine with the queens so we just kept the room, and they discounted the price for us. This room also had a full-size sleeper sofa (with a horrible mattress). The large bathroom had a separate toilet room with a glass enclosed shower and soaker tub. There was a double-door full-size closet with soft white robes hanging. A table with mirror was right next to the door in a small alcove. So you can imagine how large this room was! It was very quiet here. We never heard anything, at all. This hotel actually has two separate buildings. We were in the newer one. Both are very nice but the original building where you check in has smoking rooms available. I didn't see any in our building. This hotel was very clean. The lobby is huge, and thats where they serve the continental breakfast. They have the usual fruit, cereal, pastries, coffee, etc. and also hard-boiled eggs. If you want make your own waffles, you'll need to go over to the older buildling. There was a workout room with elliptical and treadmill, towels, water bottles. Too cool outside for the pool so we can't comment on that. We really enjoyed our stay here. The only downside was there really wasn't anything else in the area in the way of restaurants, etc.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Roadtrippers5
easton, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

We stayed in the older building for three nights during the last weekend in July, then returned for two nights the following weekend and stayed in the newer suites building.

Our first room contained two queen beds and was OK--furniture was a little worn and there was a vague cigarette smell even though the room was nonsmoking, but the view of the estuary and Coast Guard Island from the balcony was quite pleasant, the beds were comfortable, we had access to a laundry room (with two active boys on a long vacation, that's a necessity), breakfast was decent, the pool was very nice and we were close to the family and friends we were visiting.

When our plans changed to include another visit to Oakland the next weekend, we decided to return--this time, we got a reduced rate for a "waterside" suite--a much larger, newer room with a sofa and chair, huge bathroom and big closet. The room was actually at the far end of the building, so it kind of faced both water and road, but there was very little noise and the view was still quite pleasant.

If you're looking to walk to lots of restaurants and shops, this probably isn't the best place, but if you're looking for a good base to explore the larger area, it's great!

• Liked — Nealry everything
  • Disliked — The room in the older building had a vague cigarette smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank turtlefrog
SoCalif
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

Upon arrival before 6pm the rooms manager had switched our reservation from the two required queen beds, which we had searched hard to find, to a single bed with a sofa fold-out; simply not okay for four adult sized people. Then he offered us a lousy two star hotel as a substitute; noisy, way understaffed, minimal to no internet and unclean. Though I had called and checked on the other room as best I could, and the lobby was quite nice, the
room was hot, and we had to wait over an hour for toilet paper and towels, until after 10pm. Only when I got loud in the lobby, in
both cases was any action taken.

• Disliked — We were stock, in a highly booked area, late in the day and tired. the hotel screwed us. beware
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank whalepirot
milan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Oakland is a very unsecure city, and every night the police was parked outside the hotel. Maybe there is a reason for this.
Anyway, the hotel is perfect, if you consider there is a perfect internet connection, and breakfast is included, it's really a good hotel.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank pettaspagna
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Our daughter just moved from San Francisco to Oakland. We needed a hotel for the weekend in order to visit her.
We ended up at the Executive Inn and Suites at Embarcadero Cove.
It really was quite nice!! The free shuttle picked us up promptly from the airport. We had a large room facing the inner harbor in the new suites building. Now "suite" here just means a nice sized room with a sitting area(couch,comfy chair etc)not a separate living room. There was also a pool and jacuzzi facing the water as well.
The bathroom was great with nice products,a separate soaking tub and a shower. There were fluffy terrycloth robes and slippers too.
The free breakfast was the typical expanded continental type with fruit,cereal,make your own waffles,sweet rolls and the best choice of coffee I have seen at a motel! During the week they also offer a wine/snacks time in the afternoon. There were free papers including Wall St Journals and free internet ,both connections for your laptops and computers/printers on site.Best of all the free shuttle would take you to Jack London Square,downtown Oakland,BART and ferry in addition to the airport.
Oakland is not my first choice for a vacation destination BUT I'd definitely go back to this hotel when I need to be there again!

• Liked — room,computers,free shuttle
  • Disliked — no restaurants in walking distance
  • Stayed July 2008