“Calm Water view”

Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We enjoyed one night in this restful location. Oakland can be such a busy, noisy place, with the port and lots of industrial activity, freeways, BART, Amtrak, etc. that this motel was a pleasant surprise. We had a large room facing the Embarcadero Cove, looking over to Alameda.

We had two queen beds, large TV, microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer. A separate sink and large vanity were next to the bathroom. The excellent shower had a large grab bar. There was only one chair and a desk but the private balcony had two chairs.

Room 220 had a lovely, open water view. Some of the rooms would have their view blocked by trees. We enjoyed the balcony and bucolic view of the lovely landscaping, the water with sailboats, rowing teams, and ducks. There is a walkway along the cove with benches every few feet and picnic tables.

We did not eat the breakfast but saw that the room had lovely open views to the water. On the first level there is a patio with shaded tables and chairs, and a pool.

Rooms on the first level do not have private balconies, just open patios. Rooms on the "city side" do not have balconies and they must be very noisy as the Nimitz freeway is just feet away, as are tracks for BART and Amtrak. It is worth every penny to pay for the "water side".

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floors with a water view are quiet. Make sure that trees don't bl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Executive Inn & Suites

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great service! Hot breakfast is a great bonus and water view rooms are excellent. The location is out of the way because there're is nothing within walking distance. However hotel has a shuttle service to nearby local attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for water view room. Also look for nightly catered dinners.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Older hotel, but clean. Good sized rooms. Standard free breakfast. Beautiful view if you have a room with a water view. The best perk is the shuttle service to and from the airport, and around the local area. Free! Charming drivers!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Room was great and very clean stayed 4 nights and did not regret a single moment.
See Howie at the bar for the best $10.00 steak dinner you have ever had.
We will only stay here the next time we come to the bay area.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are worth it
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and clean and I was able to rest after a long day at training! Thank you to the wonderful staff!! Parking was convenient and safe and the breakfast provided by the hotel was a great way to start my day!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Booked on-line through 3rd party. When I arrived, I was given a room on 3rd floor opposite the elevator bank. When I entered the room and opened the curtains, I realized that the room faced the 880 Freeway. The road noise was ridiculous. I went back to the front desk and asked for a room on the back side of the hotel, which faces the bay. My goal was to get away from the road noise, not to secure some fabulous water view. I was told that an "upgrade" would cost an extra $50 a night, but they would be able to give it to me for an extra $25 a night. It felt like a classic bait and switch. I started to get angry, but realized that wouldn't help my cause. The manager on duty, Josh, stepped in and realized he should try to appease me for some reason. He changed me to a room facing the water, but insisted that it would have to be on the first floor. There was no upcharge. The area surrounding the hotel is perfectly safe, but the neighborhood on the other side of the freeway is a bit shaky.
I was pleased with the way Josh handled the situation, and was perfectly pleased with my new room.
Overall, the rooms and the property are a bit dated. Everything was relatively clean, but decor was circa 1980's. The continental breakfast was decent. Coffee available all day and free newspaper in breakfast area.
The issue that dropped this hotel to 2-stars was when I noticed black mold growing on the ceiling in the bathroom. It was clear that there was a leak from the bathroom on the floor above coming through the ceiling, and mold had started growing. This is a very dangerous health hazard, and I was amazed that nobody had noticed this before. I reported the problem at the front desk when I checked out. The gentleman at the desk took it under advisement, but didn't seem overly concerned.
I will never go back to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Scott S
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Scott
Thank you for 7/8th's of your review. Seriously we did take the room out of order and we dealt with the mildew issue you reported. We apologize that our team missed it. That is not how we keep our TripAdvisor rating so high. We'll do better.
Also to let you know we are just putting the final touches on our plans for modernizing our rooms. I expect you'll be extremely pleased the next time you visit.
Again, thank you.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Whenever we plan for a trip to Oakland/Berkeley/San Francisco, we stay here. I've stayed here 7 times now and every time it has been fantastic. They are very accomodating. The shuttle is great. We recently went to a concert and Enrique, our shuttle driver, was extremely helpful. He gave us all the information we needed in order to use the Bart and we used Bart to take us directly in front of the Coliseum. Didn't have to wait in traffic, as we saw that from the train. Poor people! We also take the shuttle to the ferry and go into San Francisco instead of staying in San Francisco (hotels charge for parking). Not only does it skip being in traffic over the bridge, plus the toll, I do not have to pay for parking in San Francisco and it's a really nice ferry ride and inexpensive too. Full breakfast in the mornings! Can't beat that. Free parking, almost unheard of anymore. Honestly, can't see staying anywhere else. Love watching the rowers in the morning on the water while eating breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends