“Very good value”

Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you don't want to pay a fortune for a room that you are only want put your tired head down in after a day of sight seeing in San Francisco, then this is for you.Clean, quiet and safe, beautiful view from the room over the estuary. The shuttle service from the hotel to the ferry and nearest Bart station was constant, complimented by very cheerful and pleasant staff members driving the shuttles. Breakfast was plentiful, you aren't paying a price where you would expect the breakfast to be served with polished silver and crisp starched napkins.....! There weren't any bed bugs and wherever we looked there were people cleaning and sweeping and washing windows, the bed linen was crisp and fresh. We were very satisfied with our choice and would stay there again rather than in the centre of San Fransisco where there are bed bugs, dirt and dangerous people on the streets at night unless you pay twice the price we paid at Oaklands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the estuary - we were upgraded without paying extra.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have you ever stayed at one of those place where you had to tell yourself all week "right, I'm here because the price was reasonable". Yeah, that's what this place is. It's "Okay", but not wonderful. Continental breakfast was painful. Paper cups. Paper plates. Paper food. I worried that bedbugs were lurking every minute, but didn't see such a thing...just worried about it...because it just makes you think that way. The staff was very nice. I mean...they really were. But I spend a lot more time in the room than I do dealing with the staff. Not horrible. Not wonderful. Convenient to where I had to work and in an area where I wasn't worried about being murdered in my sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank keith e
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you Keith for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry we did not live up to your expectations.

It surprised me that you didn't enjoy our breakfast. We usually receive great reviews about the complimentary breakfast, and it is one of our most appreciated amenities.

We take a lot of pride in our cleanliness and our housekeepers do a great job in keeping the rooms clean. It is one of our main priorities, and I am a bit confused as to why our rooms would have you worried about bedbugs. I truly value your experience and I thank you for bringing up and sharing your thoughts with us. If you were worried about bedbugs, maybe another guest might have had the same thoughts. I take it very seriously and want to make sure that no one else feels the same way about our rooms.

Thank you for acknowledging our staff. They do a wonderful job.
I hope you will give us a second chance and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

What a wonderful stay. Hotel is spotless and well maintained but what made it great was the people, Frederick, Doris, and Howie make you feel as if you are home. I definately recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've never written a review for any hotel on this site or another but feel it may be helpful to share my experience. I rated this hotel Excellent because it has exceeded our expectations for a hotel in this location/price range on nearly every front.

My partner and I have been "between" homes for almost 3 weeks while we wait for renovations to be completed on our new house in Oakland. We found Executive Inn online and thought it was a great option for us because of the easy access to our new home, Jack London Square, downtown and freeway. We have been pleased during our entire stay here with the friendly, courteous and helpful staff that run this hotel - from top to bottom - without exception.

A couple of notable mentions here: our primary housekeeper, Ana, has been WONDERFUL. She is kind, thoughtful, courteous, hardworking and efficient. The head of house keeping, Lourdes, has also been super! She helped us resolve a few issues and every time responded to our requests promptly and with a smile.

One of the managers, Jay, addressed our concerns about noisy neighbors with the level of professionalism that I would have expected from a larger, more expensive hotel.

We have a fairly large King-suite in the "Executive" building that is comfortable and has a lovely view of the water. Despite the fact that the hotel is located next to a major interstate we find it to be quiet and pleasant with a tranquil water view (not sure if you had a room facing the other direction). I also understand the main part of the hotel has not updated all of the room furnishings/decor.

There is a great path along the water and although there aren't a lot of walkable restaurants, etc. the hotel will apparently provide shuttle service if requested.

In conclusion, dollar for dollar this hotel provides a great value for any travelers (business, couples, families, etc.). It's a little off the beaten path but a great place to stay.

Room Tip: be sure to get a room facing the water - if optional, stay in the new "executive" building
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've stayed at the Executive Inn several times and will continue to stay there. I'm more of a bang for buck traveler so I'll stay where the best room for the best price is even if it's a bit of a way from my destination, this hotel fits me perfectly. I usually stay at the Hilton to take advantage of the Hilton Honors program but the Bay Area tends to be very expensive (especially SF) and as usual with expensive hotels, their rooms are usually quite small, Before I stay here, I always look around and see if any other hotel can match this hotel regarding price, room size, view and my must have.....a balcony, haven't found one yet. There is a Hilton property down the street from this hotel but I won't stay there, this place is much nicer, rooms are bigger and cost much less.

The rooms at he Executive Inn are nice, clean, modern and large. I'm never been in the main building because all of the new suites are in their newer, all suite building. The hotel is right on the water, all of the rooms face the water and have a balcony or patio with a view. I stayed in an executive suite. Really modern room with an open floor plan, something to be aware of if you plan on sharing the room with two couples. If not, it's perfect.

There is a sofa, not sure if it's a sofa bed or not and large chair with an ottoman. There's a work desk with a nice touch......open the top drawer and you'll find office supplies....pens, stapler, post it notes, paper clips, etc. The bathroom is nice with a separate glass enclosed shower, large tub and dual vanity, the toilet is in it's own little room with a phone.

The hotel is right down the street from Jack London square and Downtown Oakland, plenty of stuff to do in the area and you are just a 10 minute drive to SF if traffic is good. The lobby is great! There are multiple couches, chairs and tables if you want to have a meeting or just kick back with a bunch of people and watch the big screen TV. The lobby also has a huge patio area facing the water. They have a breakfast buffet every morning and they keep coffee and free snacks available 24/7.

Great hotel on the water for a decent price!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer wing of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. It's a great location, the room was great, spacious and all that we expected. Loved having the little frig & microwave. The view was great and a wonderful balcony. However if you don't like a hard bed, this is not the place. I felt like daggers were in my back all night. You could feel this comfortable on a board. We didn't sleep well at all. The next morning we asked the front desk if they have an egg crate, or a foam piece for the bed and she had a blank look like she didn't know what we were talking about. So that night I made a pallet on the comfy love seat and slept there with my feet hanging over the edge. Luckily I'm short. My husband suffered on the bed. We will probably stay there next time but I will bring a blow up mattress and put on the bed for comfort. Other than that, we did enjoy this hotel. It's also close to our son.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay in the suites building
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were quite disappointed that this was a number one rated hotel in Oakland. The rest must be terrible. I had 3 issues. 1) "Free WiFi" was ONLY if you were near the lobby. They outside rooms had no access to internet, whatesever. 2) When someone in the room next to you flushed their toilet, your water in the shower turned cold. 3) The breakfast was always lacking someone refilling the empty food, so we rarely had an actual continental breakfast.

If you don't mind food, wifi or warm water, it's a decent place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room near Lobby if you want the "free wifi."
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank skagirlins
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I appreciate your feedback, but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
We have recently installed five new routers around the hotel in order to improve internet reception throughout the property. All the rooms and the entire hotel should therefore have access to the WiFi, but I will definately double check this again.
The cold water problem is something that I have not had any complaints about, but I am really glad you brought this to my attention. I will discuss this with our maintenance crew and make sure no other guests run into the same problem.
Lacking food for breakfast is unacceptable and I truly apologize about this. We offer a large breakfast with a combination of hot and cold items, and we usually get very good reviews about it. I will bring this up in our next staff meeting to ensure a great breakfast experience for all of our guests.

Thank you for all your feedback, and I hope you will give us a second chance to prove to you why we are the number 1 hotel in Oakland.