“Wonderful Spot on the Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Executive Inn & Suites

Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful Spot on the Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

What a wonderful stay. Hotel is spotless and well maintained but what made it great was the people, Frederick, Doris, and Howie make you feel as if you are home. I definately recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've never written a review for any hotel on this site or another but feel it may be helpful to share my experience. I rated this hotel Excellent because it has exceeded our expectations for a hotel in this location/price range on nearly every front.

My partner and I have been "between" homes for almost 3 weeks while we wait for renovations to be completed on our new house in Oakland. We found Executive Inn online and thought it was a great option for us because of the easy access to our new home, Jack London Square, downtown and freeway. We have been pleased during our entire stay here with the friendly, courteous and helpful staff that run this hotel - from top to bottom - without exception.

A couple of notable mentions here: our primary housekeeper, Ana, has been WONDERFUL. She is kind, thoughtful, courteous, hardworking and efficient. The head of house keeping, Lourdes, has also been super! She helped us resolve a few issues and every time responded to our requests promptly and with a smile.

One of the managers, Jay, addressed our concerns about noisy neighbors with the level of professionalism that I would have expected from a larger, more expensive hotel.

We have a fairly large King-suite in the "Executive" building that is comfortable and has a lovely view of the water. Despite the fact that the hotel is located next to a major interstate we find it to be quiet and pleasant with a tranquil water view (not sure if you had a room facing the other direction). I also understand the main part of the hotel has not updated all of the room furnishings/decor.

There is a great path along the water and although there aren't a lot of walkable restaurants, etc. the hotel will apparently provide shuttle service if requested.

In conclusion, dollar for dollar this hotel provides a great value for any travelers (business, couples, families, etc.). It's a little off the beaten path but a great place to stay.

Room Tip: be sure to get a room facing the water - if optional, stay in the new "executive" building
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've stayed at the Executive Inn several times and will continue to stay there. I'm more of a bang for buck traveler so I'll stay where the best room for the best price is even if it's a bit of a way from my destination, this hotel fits me perfectly. I usually stay at the Hilton to take advantage of the Hilton Honors program but the Bay Area tends to be very expensive (especially SF) and as usual with expensive hotels, their rooms are usually quite small, Before I stay here, I always look around and see if any other hotel can match this hotel regarding price, room size, view and my must have.....a balcony, haven't found one yet. There is a Hilton property down the street from this hotel but I won't stay there, this place is much nicer, rooms are bigger and cost much less.

The rooms at he Executive Inn are nice, clean, modern and large. I'm never been in the main building because all of the new suites are in their newer, all suite building. The hotel is right on the water, all of the rooms face the water and have a balcony or patio with a view. I stayed in an executive suite. Really modern room with an open floor plan, something to be aware of if you plan on sharing the room with two couples. If not, it's perfect.

There is a sofa, not sure if it's a sofa bed or not and large chair with an ottoman. There's a work desk with a nice touch......open the top drawer and you'll find office supplies....pens, stapler, post it notes, paper clips, etc. The bathroom is nice with a separate glass enclosed shower, large tub and dual vanity, the toilet is in it's own little room with a phone.

The hotel is right down the street from Jack London square and Downtown Oakland, plenty of stuff to do in the area and you are just a 10 minute drive to SF if traffic is good. The lobby is great! There are multiple couches, chairs and tables if you want to have a meeting or just kick back with a bunch of people and watch the big screen TV. The lobby also has a huge patio area facing the water. They have a breakfast buffet every morning and they keep coffee and free snacks available 24/7.

Great hotel on the water for a decent price!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer wing of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Spring, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. It's a great location, the room was great, spacious and all that we expected. Loved having the little frig & microwave. The view was great and a wonderful balcony. However if you don't like a hard bed, this is not the place. I felt like daggers were in my back all night. You could feel this comfortable on a board. We didn't sleep well at all. The next morning we asked the front desk if they have an egg crate, or a foam piece for the bed and she had a blank look like she didn't know what we were talking about. So that night I made a pallet on the comfy love seat and slept there with my feet hanging over the edge. Luckily I'm short. My husband suffered on the bed. We will probably stay there next time but I will bring a blow up mattress and put on the bed for comfort. Other than that, we did enjoy this hotel. It's also close to our son.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay in the suites building
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were quite disappointed that this was a number one rated hotel in Oakland. The rest must be terrible. I had 3 issues. 1) "Free WiFi" was ONLY if you were near the lobby. They outside rooms had no access to internet, whatesever. 2) When someone in the room next to you flushed their toilet, your water in the shower turned cold. 3) The breakfast was always lacking someone refilling the empty food, so we rarely had an actual continental breakfast.

If you don't mind food, wifi or warm water, it's a decent place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room near Lobby if you want the "free wifi."
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank skagirlins
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I appreciate your feedback, but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
We have recently installed five new routers around the hotel in order to improve internet reception throughout the property. All the rooms and the entire hotel should therefore have access to the WiFi, but I will definately double check this again.
The cold water problem is something that I have not had any complaints about, but I am really glad you brought this to my attention. I will discuss this with our maintenance crew and make sure no other guests run into the same problem.
Lacking food for breakfast is unacceptable and I truly apologize about this. We offer a large breakfast with a combination of hot and cold items, and we usually get very good reviews about it. I will bring this up in our next staff meeting to ensure a great breakfast experience for all of our guests.

Thank you for all your feedback, and I hope you will give us a second chance to prove to you why we are the number 1 hotel in Oakland.
Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Main aspect of choosing hotel in Oakland has to be either that you'll fly to OAK or/and you don't want to pay for San Francisco downtown prices. In hindsight we could have saved some transport time by choosing public transport instead of rental car as traffic to SF is heavily congested, especially during morning rush hour (only one toll bridge entrance from OAK). Allow 1-2 hrs driving time + parking spot finding time and $. On the other hand it's more convenient to drive to and from airport with luggage. They have frequent shuttle service from hotel. Bare in mind that there's very little restaurants in Oakland downtown so this location is most suitable for just sleeping, not that much for going out to town at evening.

Hotel itself is fine, rooms are large with necessary gear. Bay view rooms are worth paying 10-20$ more. Breakfast was OK like wifi as well. No complaints about anything in general. Night shift receptionist looked a bit tired for her work but necessary matters were handled accordingly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erno P
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for coming all the way from Finland and staying at our hotel. I really appreciate your feedback and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
You're right, morning traffic to SF is not something you want to get stuck in. However, during the days the traffic to the city is not that bad and you can get to downtown SF in 20-25 min. We always recommend going by BART or Ferry since it will always get you there faster.

We do not have many restaurants next door to the hotel, but our shuttle runs to Jack London square (about 1-2 miles away) where they have a wide selection of restaurants.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Lebanon, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Executive Inn and Suites gets good, strong grades on all the important elements: very clean rooms, comfortable beds, updated vanity with a great magnifying mirror, and a very helpful staff who provides shuttle service to the BART. I paid extra for a water view and was pleased with the upgrade. Feel comfortable booking one of their spacious rooms, especially if you are with your family.

The name of the hotel is unfortunate since the term "executive" is not what you think of when you look around this hotel. It's much more suited to families and the more casual business traveler. It's not a suit-and-tie environment. You'll finds friends chatting in the lobby instead of individuals clicking on iPads or laptops. In fact, the hotel makes an effort to bring folksy touches to the place with plaid bedspreads and large wooden numerals to mark your room. It's not owned by a chain and it doesn't feel like it.

The breakfast is bountiful, true, and you'll lift the lids on chafing dishes with heaps of eggs and sausages. You can make your own waffles (very popular). It's the kind of buffet with big thermal jugs of strong coffee and a giant CoffeMate bottle next to little, flavored creamer pods. (Coffee and tea are available all day.) Style-wise, this is a breakfast stocked with "fun" breakfast items designed to please the casual traveler more than for frequent business travelers looking for whole grains and fat-free lattes. However, there is also fresh fruit (bananas and pears) and little cartons of lower fat milk if you want to select healthier fare.

The pool is truly heated, as promised, and located near the water in a lovely setting. Again, this is more a family pool and not a lap pool. It was surprisingly empty during our visit and my daughter and I were the only people I saw in the pool area during our two-night stay.

Bottom line: if you are going for a family vacation or attending a conference, you'll be fine. If you are an executive, however, you might want a hotel that caters more specifically to the needs of the frequent business traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront room. It's a lovely view. The other side of the hotel faces the freeway.