“This hotel ABANDONED ME at the airport---in the rain, in my wheechair!”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Los Angeles, California
“This hotel ABANDONED ME at the airport---in the rain, in my wheechair!”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I made reservations at this hotel two weeks in advance, and specifically asked for a wheelchair accessible shuttle to and from the Oakland airport, and to and from the BART station. They assured me this would be no problem. When our party of three arrived, in the pouring rain, I called on the courtesy phone and again asked for the handicap equipped shuttle. The first shuttle driver "couldn't find us," and left. After 45 minutes waiting, I called again, and they sent another shuttle. When it showed up, the driver says "Oh, you need the handicapped shuttle? I'll have to go back and get it." After waiting another 45 minutes, I called them back and they said, "Oh the handicapped shuttle is broken! We have no way to pick you up." I asked them how they were going to get me to the hotel and the BART station and the very unfriendly desk clerk (who was apparently never going to call me and tell me any of this), put me on hold for a long time. We were wet and freezing by this time, and in danger of missing the concert we had flown in to see. Fortunately, a handicapped shuttle driver from the Hilton took pity on us and offered to take us to the Park Plaza. No way was I going to go there; we cancelled our reservation and got a room at the Hilton instead. It was $100 more than the PP, but it was a small price to pay for their helpfulness. I have no idea what the Park Plaza is like to stay at, but I would never book there again or recommend it to anyone, because they treated us so horribly. No return calls, no apolgies, no offer of a taxi, nothing. Disgraceful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This place is a dump! I travel all over the country and the lobby all though nice...is not like the dark and dirty out dated rooms. And my floor..smelled like POT. The person MARY at the desk was rude and saying that the room was not refundable. I had been up there for 10 minutes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
mporterPPH, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Unfortunately, we did have an occurrence of smoking the evening you checked in, and I assure it was handled swiftly and the occupants were escorted off the property. The room you booked was at a non-refundable discounted rate, which is why our front desk agent stated the room was non-refundable. Another room on a different floor was offered, but we fully respect the fact that you decided not to stay with us in light of the circumstances. We would appreciate another opportunity to resolve your concerns. The number provided in your voicemail has rang busy all morning. Please call my direct line, 510-969-3111, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Michelle Porter

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Anaheim, California
Reviewed September 11, 2010

When looking for an apartment for my son to stay during his 4 years medical school in Oakland, we came up with the idea for him to stay at the hotel. We believed that we made the right choice. At the hotel, my son does not have to worry about any one breaking into his room compared to renting the apartment. His friend got broke in twice in a month when he rented the apartment. All the services are at hand (room cleaning, free continental breakfast, free internet, free parking etc. ) The staff at Park Plaza is very friendly and helpful. The manager Lynh Huynh, Sales Coordinator Nary Veloza, front desk Nhi, driver, Mr. Ko and all others at the front desk are wonderful peoples. I would recommend this hotel to any one without reservation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Luongtran88
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2010

A clean and pleasant Hotel for the price of a motel. Staff was polite, smiling and helpful.
Free parking, 20 minute from San Fran. Breakfast is very ordinary but free.If your looking for the Drake, than pay for the Drake!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank marvinmartien
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Ok, so this area of town is terrible! They give themselves three stars when it should be more like one star. Michael at the front desk was nice. But, I could tell that he was stressed out and had a long day. I had a problem with the shuttle drive who got an attitude with me. He was very confrontational and rude. I felt like I was being scolded by my father! I complained to the manager. She was very kind and apologetic. She would not give me a refund. Saying that she hoped I would stay there again. Why would I stay there again, if you wont even give my money back to try it out. Dont stay here! The breakfast is mediocre at best. Cereal, pastries, toast and coffee are the complimentary breakfast. I got the run around on a refund even though I didnt stay my second night. Oh and the bed is hard and there is too much traffic. You can't even sleep at night. They charge you for internet....ghetto!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Reading some of the reviews, I believe some people have an idiology that hotels are not businesses, and they are. With that in mind, there should be more realistic ideas on what to expect.

My experience was just wonderful, from the room to Brandy and Micheal at the front desk. The curteousness and professionalism that I experienced has prompted me to write a letter and to comment on hotel sites. I purchased my room through Hotwire.com and have left comments there as well as Yelp.com

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wildflowernoris
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Upon our arrival to Park Plaza hotel the man behind the counter named Micheal first works to use were "sit down I will get to you when I can" Ouch! His tone of voice and the mannerism he talked to other guests was very rude and short. Upon our return to call for the shuttle he asked me if we had all our luggage and I told him no the last one was on its way out. He told me when I got all the luggage call back and hung up. I called back in approx 2 minutes and he said are you the person who just called? The shuttle took about 5-10 minutes to get to us from the hotel. I will never stay at this hotel again and I advise people who like to be treated with respect should not stay here either. I feel as a customer based business you should man your front desk with friendly people.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends