“Front desk help extremely rude”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Upon our arrival to Park Plaza hotel the man behind the counter named Micheal first works to use were "sit down I will get to you when I can" Ouch! His tone of voice and the mannerism he talked to other guests was very rude and short. Upon our return to call for the shuttle he asked me if we had all our luggage and I told him no the last one was on its way out. He told me when I got all the luggage call back and hung up. I called back in approx 2 minutes and he said are you the person who just called? The shuttle took about 5-10 minutes to get to us from the hotel. I will never stay at this hotel again and I advise people who like to be treated with respect should not stay here either. I feel as a customer based business you should man your front desk with friendly people.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Reviewed March 28, 2010

The price is fantastic. The rooms recently renovated -- well, a plasma screen TV added anyway. The main problem I have is that the rooms are dark and dated -- the dark orange wall does not help. I found the hotel depressing.

Lobby fixtures reminded me of a 1970s apartment building. Lights were out over the front desk and an emergency oxygen (?) bottle was propping the door to the manager's office open.

The gym appears to have been renovated and new machines added. That's a high point. The view out of the back of the tower rooms (the quiet side) was also bleak -- lots of parking lots and warehouses.

The area seems dangerous. I didn't feel safe walking to nearby restaurants. The restaurant on site is mediocre at best and the breakfast buffet was NOT on par with similar offerings by Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

I'm afraid that with a brand new Holiday Inn and a Hilton across the street I just can't recommend this one.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I stayed there in last December and it was a very good stay. I loved the cleanliness all inside the hotel. The shower and the bathtub were great as well as the king size bed
and the big TV. The staff was OK. They offer free shuttle from and to the BART station and you can take the daily newspaper in the front desk. I loved the Airport Burger at the cuisine. It was so big, quite a meal.
The negatives are all related to the location (a bit far from the Coliseum - you have an option to pay U$ 5.00 for a roundtrip shuttle in a game day). There are not many places to go in the neighbourhood. The Hegenberger Road is a pretty desert avenue. Anything you want outside of the hotel you've got to walk a lot (Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, McDonald's...).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank BrazilEddie
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I booked my stay 2 months in advance. So first thing off the airplane, we call for the free shuttle and they say they can't find my reservation. I finally talked them into picking us up anyway and sure enough, they could not find our reservation. After about 30 minutes of waiting for them to talk to Expedia and get what they needed, we were told they could give us a room. Then, they made us sign a paper that said they could charge our credit card $500 if we smoked in the room or on the balcony. All the desk clerks were unfriendly and we weren't happy but went to the room anyway. The area where the hotel is seemed nice but we were approached by more than one homeless person asking for money and constantly saw them digging through the garbage dumpster...next to where we had to smoke, of course. Then on the last night there, we came back to our room to discover that the maid had stolen from our suitcase. We reported it to the front desk and they said they would investigate and get back to us by the time we checked out in the morning. When we checked out, I asked if they were going to refund us the $30 worth of merchandise stolen and they said they were still investigating and would contact me. Over a week later, I still have heard nothing from them. No free paper at the door as they advertise...staff is not friendly...bad neighborhood...bed was hard and very uncomfortable...don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I picked this property because the internet said that they provided free shuttle from OAK, to the local BART, & within 5 miles of the property. On arrival, they had a sign that they were now charging for the shuttle despite the service being contracted already. In my room, I saw on their in house TV station, that they had these services free as part of staying there. I double checked online and it still said what it did when I booked.

I would have booked any number of other much nicer locations if I knew that they wouldn't provide the services I had paid for. I spoke to the manager but was told that there was no issue since they had a sign posted in the lobby. (Not something that I could see at home online!) Under the circumstances, I asked to be taken to a location within their 5 mile radius and was told I would have to pay the driver $20. I can't believe they get away with this. I expect them to be out of business within 6 months.

I liked the ease of getting to the location from OAK. I liked the proximity of BART with what was supposed to be a "FREE" shuttle. The property is close to OAK, but nothing else. The place has no redeeming value otherwise. My room had an orange wall, black furniture, and was a Halloween joke.

I decided to try the in house dining facility and found that there was a biker gang having a meeting there. I passed. Their burnouts in front of the building were the highlight of my stay. Go and stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I stayed at the Park Plaza while visiting Oakland to attend a football game. The hotel was a great value when booked through a 3rd party site (the Hotels.com price was much lower than the Park Plaza's website).

The room was clean and the staff was friendly. My room faced the back of the hotel so I did not hear any of the road noise that some of the other reviewers have complained about. The hotel bar / resturant offered great drinks and decent breakfast on both days. The location is great if you're in town for a sports vinue (both stadiums are only a few minutes away), though there's not much else going on in this part of town. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I booked this room online for double digits, and I was very impressed. Had an excellent night manager on duty for late check-in, very fast and friendly. Good, easy to use business center to print out boarding passes. Rooms were excellent, had flat screen TV, clean bathroom, good beds. Lobby and other areas were also very clean, very close to airport but no noise problems.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends